Marshall JCM600?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM600?

Anyone know anything about the 60-watt JCM600 series? Seems cool with dual reverb, but can the second channel get decent Slayer high gain tones without a pedal or is this more of a rock-type amp?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

More of a rock type amp from what I remember, and I didn't like what I heard about build quality on the 600 series when they were around.

Comment

The ones I've played (2 different ones) were really thin and weak sounding, in addition to being harsh and gross sounding.

Personally, I would avoid it.

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Comment

I've got the 1x12 combo. I've had it for 8 years from new. The first two I brought home from Sam Ash blew up and the third was repaired under warranty as it died when I brought it home too - maybe my car needed new shocks - who knows. This one is now on the fritz - I think something's wrong with the input jack. I've heard everything from overheating and melting solder joints to blown transformers on these amps.

That's the bad news.

The good news is its a pretty cool sounding amp. I dig the clean channel because its really a "pretty dirty" channel with anything with humbuckers. The boost channel is in the Plexi to 800 range as far as Marshalls are concerned, but you can get some heavy stuff going if you scoop the mids. I run a tubescreamer in front of it for more oomph. Lately I've been using it as a power amp for my PODxt.

I paid $500 for it brand new in '97. I wouldn't touch one for more than $200 now, figuring in a couple hundred for some kind of maintenance.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks. I thought I heard about some overheating and reliability issues one time, but I couldn't remember if it was the JTM600 or the JCM600 series.

Comment

The JTM 60 and the JCM 600 are the same thing. The JTM was introduced first, but then was relabled the JCM to fit in better with the rest of Marshall's models.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Ah, okay. Thanks again. I'll be sure to stay clear of them unless I can find one for really cheap.

Comment

Working...
                X