amp shopping.. need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp shopping.. need help

The time is fast approaching for me to get a new amp setup. The POD is working pretty well but it is definately time for an upgrade. I like the versatility of the POD but I am hoping to get more of a plug and play amp for live use. I will be using my EBMM Luke as my main guitar. My band tunes to drop C, although I do play some baritone stuff. Here is a link to some of the music we sound similar to... listen to the tune Elegy. That tone is pretty much what I am going for. I also play a lot of pinch harmonics.

http://www.hxcmp3.com/bands/18015/index.php

I am pretty much buying whatever I end up with blindly as I will most likely not be able to play it before I buy it. I hope to buy one new from a reputable dealer incase I have any problems and need to return it. I am looking to spend around $1500 but I will go up to $1800 if need be for a Powerball. Here are my thoughts about my amp shopping so far; keep in mind we do not have anything around here besides Mesa, Marshall, Crate, Bogner, and Soldano. All of the afformentioned amps are either too expensive or I did not like them. I play mostly rhythm stuff so I will be using whatever I get for that and cleans.

1. Mesa Dual Rec- played one new. I liked the clean, wont really use the crunch channel, and loved the lead channel with the exception of the bass. It was not as tight as I would have liked it to be as I am sure some of you mesa users can attest to. It had the perfect amount of mids and treble.

2. Peavey JSX- Have not played one. I have heard the cleans are great. Not sure how it does for metal.. anyone?

3. Peavey 5150/65XX- Again have not played one. I would definately like to try one out though. I know they work well for metal but I have heard the clean channel is terrible. Based on the sound clip, and can anyone give me some insight?

4. ENGL Fireball- Never played one. One great high gain channel and one channel that I will probably never use. Not a huge problem as I can dial in some good cleans with my POD. I would rather get a head with a useable clean channel that has a separate eq than the lead channel.
    5. ENGL Powerball- Never played one. I would like to avoid spending $1800 if possible. (don't we all want to save money? ) I have heard it is similar to the Fireball cept it has two more channels, each with their respective eq's. More gain than I will ever need...

6. Randall MTS series- Lots of options for different modules. I could always get the rack version with a good poweramp. I know you can modify some of the things on the high gain preamps to make the low end more tight and that doing so works well on the Dual Rec module. With a good poweramp and cab, I am wondering if this would somewhat give me the Dual Rec but with tighter low end that I am looking for. This would also give me the chance to have 4 mods ;2 high gains for Drop C and baritone and a clean for each one. Granted thats $1500 on a preamp but hey. There is also a local store that sells the stuff so I may be able to play it. I can always get the first two mods and buy the second two later if I really start to get into low tuned stuff right?....At this point I am somewhat leaning towards this setup with a Mesa poweramp and cab. I have also heard the 1086 or whatever it is called has been compared to the VHT Pittbull and is very versatile.

7. I am open to any other suggestions.

I know the best way to try out amps is to play them but the fact is not all of us can do so. Any input is greatly appreciated!

TVC
    Last edited by Thor Von Clemson; 06-05-2006, 05:36 PM.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Since you are a line 6 guy... make sure you check out the Vetta II

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55416

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Per the other thread, before you give up on a Dual Rec try one with an OD in front......like a TS9.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna check out a couple VHT amps at Burnsville MGR this week.
        If I'm blowing that kind of cash, the amp better be made in the USA and sound like the return of Black Jesus.

Comment

Vetta HD

Comment

Look for a amp that you like the clean sound of then you can always dial in what ever you want with your pod.

Comment

Whatever you buy, purchase it used and try to get it a little under market value - then if you don't like it, you sell it and move on without any losses.

I would NOT buy a new amp for the reason above... I've owned dozens of tube amps, and only one had a really bad problem (mesa, blew a hole in the board back in '90 or so). Everything else has really been pretty good reliability wise.

Pete

Comment

I agree, used is the way to go IF you trust the source.. on electronics..eBay can be hit n miss. Here.. deal with well reputed members, you really can't go wrong.

I used to play in a band with a guy who had a VHT pitbull with a 4x12 and the 2x12..he actually was the store manager for the roseville MGR and now is a regional manager.

Comment

Thor, I'd suggest checking with DC Music in Blaine. They are a Peavey dealer with a pretty extensive inventory as I recall. Isn't there a Peavey dealer in Elk River too? Can't remember the name at the moment. Groth's in Bloomington also stocks Peavey heads and cabs, although their prices are absurd. It'd give you a chance to try some though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Vetta HD. (not really plug and play, but... enough has been said already about it)
                    www.myspace.com/madeaband
                    www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Tom- Thats a good point; once I find what I am looking for or something similar a deal with a reputable member here would work too.

Ryan- I will have to head over to DC after work today. I have not been there in a while. Last time I went all they had was Crate and Marshall. There is a PV dealer here in Elk River and I have done some business with them, but they are generally overpriced and do not have much in stock. I suppose it is worth checking out.

To all you Vetta suggesters... I suppose the Vetta would give me the recording capabilities of the POD (I think you can direct record with a Vetta?) I know there is a lot you can do with it. I would prefer to stay with a more simplistic setup, but it is always worth checking out.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Thor Von Clemson
                        1. Mesa Dual Rec- played one new. I liked the clean, wont really use the crunch channel, and loved the lead channel with the exception of the bass. It was not as tight as I would have liked it to be as I am sure some of you mesa users can attest to. It had the perfect amount of mids and treble.
                        Uh, just to clairify, the only difference between channel 2 & 3 is the value of the presence pot, so it's hardly a "crunch" channel. I actually use it for my lead tone.

See if you can find one with the STR-440 tubes in it. Much better than the 430s, especially in the bass department. You have to be careful with the bass control, too - a small move can make a huge difference.
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Wow, so many of us are from MN? Who knew!?
                          "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Chad- what does that overdrive do?

Ryan-just got off the phone with DC music. They have neither the 5150 or the JSX in stock...
                            Last edited by Thor Von Clemson; 06-06-2006, 11:45 AM.

Comment

It'd be worth checking with Groth on the Peavey heads. Last time I was there, they had both XXX and JSX heads.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X