Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thor Von Clemson
    which splawn models should I check out?
    I'd call scott and ask. They are pretty cool to talk to. Kt88's would be a definite to get ou that super bottom end.

Comment

The Mr. Scary is a George Lynch module. To me it sounds like a modded JCM 800 only without the buzziness and has a tight bottom end. Don't you just love that metal sound from the 80's! I ordered mine yesterday online and I cant wait to get it. I just got my 1086 and it sounds awesome. It has a little more gain than the recto but it is much more versatile. I've only had my MTS amp for a couple of months but honestly i don't think for the money you can get anything else that comes close.
      An added plus is the fact that no amp tech is needed. It accepts all different types of tubes. I run 6l6's on the inside and e34l's on the outside and adjust bias on the fly.

Comment

rfazano- have you tried the ultra module? If so, how does it compare to the 1086? I am assuming the 1086 is tighter.

Also, are you playing the head or rack version?
        Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
        The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

My buddy across town has the ultra and it's pretty cool. Played it a few times. I think (?) it is supposed to be the signature Randall tone. The 1086 is alot tighter than that and the recto. I'm playing the RM100 combo with G12T-75's.

Comment

Uberschall..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hi Bill, I have an Uberschall as well as the Randall RM100. Nothing comes close to an Uberschall tone wise However, I must say the RM100 is pretty impressive as far as the variety of tones you can get and of course the price. It also helps that Randall is releasing new modules for it all the time. 4 George Lynch modules are out or soon to be out alone! I picked up my RM100 on Ebay used and bought the modules used as well and I've been having fun with this amp. The Uberschall, while I consider it the king of all amps, I'm still paying for the the thing. The Ubey is pricey indeed.

Rudy
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Very cool Rudy..yeah I been hearing that Randall is getting ther crap together..I used to LOVE those small RG 80's heads..back in the day..

I'm a one trick pony tho really..I play death/ thrash..and don't even use the clean channel on the Uber..just the geetar's volums knob for dynamics..

I have my ol' trusty Marshall Rack that I use for classic metal tones ala VH/Dokken/Savatage..but it can get kinda heavy like death/Eidolon too..

I think I'm pretty satisfied with amps..I just want to concentarte on my playing and writing now..

I hear good things about those Randall amps tho..I would like to play one..I will eventually..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hey Bill;

I absolutely love the Uberschall! And I use it mostly for 80's hard Rock and Metal The Randall I picked up just because the price was right and I see them as well as the modules for sale on Ebay all the time. None of the modules have Uberschall type distortion of course but I gotta tell you that Randall kicks the crap out of a lot of other higher priced amps. I think its the current bang for the buck champ of amps.
                  That night nick's band was going to open for Uli Jon Roth we took my Randall RM100 to that gig but of course no one got to hear the Randall unfortunately that night But hey, I'm only in Warren and your always welcome to come out from Cleveland and play it

Rudy
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

I think the Ubeschall is more money, but it is a monster, maybe used.

Comment

Yes the Uberschall is quite a monster of an amp and it is pricey. Used on Ebay, $2000-2400 seems to be the going rate for used with occassionally some as low as $1800 for a non-metal grill option amp. New they are around $2800.

Rudy
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Heh, and the list price is absolutely outrageous!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Cool Rudy..

Yeah, I was lucky enough to get mine off the Bay for 2K.. the dude lived just 2 hours away in Columbus Oh.. I drove there, played it and grabbed it..

He only had it for three months ..lost his job and wanted to get out of the credit payments..he paid $2,325 + 45 bucks tax on 7/2/02..from Fat Sound in Cary, NC

serial # <1699->..

I got the reciept right here..

It's a great amp..the nicest head I ever played.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker
                            Yes the Uberschall is quite a monster of an amp and it is pricey. Used on Ebay, $2000-2400 seems to be the going rate for used with occassionally some as low as $1800 for a non-metal grill option amp. New they are around $2800.

Rudy
                            www.wickedrocks.com
                            The ubers kinda go through price spurts here and there. If they are not many on ebay they will pull in up to 2200 for the older versions and up to 2400 for the new blue revision.

But then at times the bay starts getting flooded with them and it is hard to even get $1900. So with that said you have to do like i did, i was patient and waited. I think i had gotten my uber for about $1800 shipped to me, it is probaly the same year as bills, one of the olders, i got it a little over a year ago. It is pretty much in mint shape, has the black cloath front which i prefered over the metal Grill option. I think the metal makes it look cheesy but that is just me, i am getting old and all and not the big metal head i use to be.

The main difference is the newer blue revision has a more usible gain, but there is suppose to be less gain then the older ones. I think the blue revision also has the test points on the back of the chasis for biasing, but they are only for reference, technically you should still pull apart the chasis for a proper bias.

If you are not a tube snob, get a vetta 1 And do the updates, it has the uber in it and damn close, real damn close! I paid $825 for mine and did the update.

I am thinking of selling my uber now that i got the vetta, but still on the fence, might just keep it anyway for backup. But i do not play that heavy of music to much anymore and most of the time i play my bogner XTC which has enough gain for me.

I use to own the Randall RM4 which is the preamp version for the randall modules, when i owned it i did not own my Randall RT2/50 yet and only got to run it through my mesa 50/50 and 20/20. I was not to impressed with it running it through those amps, wish i had my RT2/50 then. I had the Recto module, the ultra, i think black face and the SL+.

They werent bad, but the lack of presense on each module was a turn off and comparing the Recto module face to face with my 3 channel dual recto it was not even close enough to warrent the Recto name.

Guitar center in seven corners VA has had a used Randall head with the recto module and some others for awhile now. Last time i was in there two weeks ago it was still there, i think they are asking $999 for it, but everytime i plug into it, well it sounds muddy, so might need a bias.

Current Line up

**Amps**

Bogner Uber, great heavy amp, not as much low end as a mesa recto but close, but tighter and more gain.

Bogner XTC with half power and A/AB and individual output levels for each channel for the slave out. This head rocks, I love the A/AB option, gives the amp a who knew dimension, Everyday i learn knew ways to change the tone of this amp and it sounds great any way. If you want the hot rodded Marshall with more gain then any marshall has ever offered, more options then any marshall and built like a tank, get this amp.

Marshall JCM 800 2204 vertical input 6550's. i love the 6550's in this amp, gives it more bottem end while still maintaining the marshall sound. I love putting my Boost in front and getting a great heavy 80's sound. They say this amps were either hit or miss back then, well this amp is a hit.

Vetta, just got this amp, so far digging it, the recto, uber, criminal (5150-II) are great sounding. I am not thrilled with the marshalls though, and i havent played enough with the diezels, but first impression was not good. My head came in with the flash fucked up and i purchased the uno and updated to 2.5 and it sounds good now. The people i purchased it from better make up for that fuck up!

Line 6 flextone II HD, great head and servered its purpose, but you will see it in the classifieds coming up with a bunch of other gear now that I have the vetta.

**Pre-Amps**

Marshall JMP-1

ADA

**Power Amps**

Randall RT2/50 this is the amp you can bias each channel to use different tubes, has bias points right on the front of the amp. Density knob just like the heads and presense.

Comment

Deleted per below post. I realized this was an old thread but didn't know where to ask my question because I'm a new member to this forum and forums in general.
                              Last edited by moonwork; 06-12-2008, 01:06 PM.

Comment

*Slugbug*

That's for resurrecting a 2 year old thread.

- E.
                                Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
                                X