Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Killer EQ for Dual Rectifier anyone?...please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer EQ for Dual Rectifier anyone?...please...

I've had my Mesa 3 channel head for 18 months now, and with one thing and another (work commitments, house falling to pieces etc), I still haven't found a sound I'm happy with. My set up is as follows;

Dual Rectifier Solo head (3 channel)
    Mesa traditional 4x12
    Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
    Soloist with Seymour Duncans
    San Dimas reissue with a Seymour.

I want a rich, heavy chunk rhythm sound (KSE etc). Let's be honest, I want stupid amounts of gain without all the fizz and noise that usually accompany. Any ideas? Does anyone here have a web address for different amp settings/set up advice?

Yes, I want the earth...please help...

Cheers

Sean.

for more of a metal sound, I used to set mine on the third channel with all the eq knobs around 1-2 oclock, presence at like 10-11 oclock, gain about halfway or a little more and volume halfway up, with the modern voicing. I think I ran it on silicone diodes and bold power, and I used 6L6s back then still.

Comment

I want a rich, heavy chunk rhythm sound (KSE etc). Let's be honest, I want stupid amounts of gain without all the fizz and noise that usually accompany.
      That depends on what you're using the amp for. If you're playing by yourself, you'll want to tweak it a bit differently than with a band. It shouldn't be that hard to tweak it for yourself, so maybe I can help you out with the band thing.

***********All of this concerning your typical amplifier, not specifically the Dual rec******************

Gain can actually kill your heavy rhythm sound. I haven't played with the dual rec with a band that much before. The last time I did, it was hooked into a vintage 30 cab. Don't ever do that, in case you're wondering. I don't know what else a Rec could sound good on, but it won't do good on a Marshall Vintage 30 cab! Go easy on the gain. Try putting it at 12 o'clock and turning it up as needed. I wouldn't go more than 75%.

I'm still learning the bass factor in tweaking. One amp's bass knob at a certain position won't sound like another's. (That goes for any control for that matter). I always turn my bass down too low, so it sounds really thin even with the rest of the band. It's something that I'm still working on. Anyway, I'd try it at about 50% and turn up to taste (like the gain).

Mid should fall right around half way. Any less will more than likely make you sound there but not. Have you ever turned up your amp and still not heard yourself over the rest of the band? Scooped mids will do that.

Highs are more or less a matter of opinion. I keep mine at about 75%. Any higher makes a sizzly noise and makes the sound thin.

I haven't had the opportunity to tweak with a presence setting very much. On the rare occasion that I do play an amp that has that with the band, I find myself turning it to about the 75% region, and often times higher.

Hope that helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by metallicarocks
        Mid should fall right around half way. Any less will more than likely make you sound there but not. Have you ever turned up your amp and still not heard yourself over the rest of the band? Scooped mids will do that.
        The voice of reason! Also a proper Mesa cab (with all the proper bracing) does wonders. Hence why Marshall cabs sound like arse.
        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Sounds like you may just not like the amp. I can't remember exactly what KSE use, but I do seem to remember one of the guitarists saying that they hate the Mesa Rectifier sound.

Comment

I've found that with the Mesa gear you have to turn it up nice and loud to lose the fizz

About KSE... I don't think they hate Mesa, for years they used Rectos + OD808.

Comment

Originally posted by metallicarocks
              Gain can actually kill your heavy rhythm sound. I haven't played with the dual rec with a band that much before. The last time I did, it was hooked into a vintage 30 cab. Don't ever do that, in case you're wondering.
              Just goes to show how varied opinions are on tone. I love the sound of my recto through a marshall vintage 30. We did a shootout of the Marshall vint. 30, an oversized Mesa vint. 30 and a oversized Mesa c90. The Marshall won for rhythm sounds.
              ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Yeah totally....I used to use the Mesa Rectifier Standard cab but I just bought a Marshall 1960AV with the Vintage 30s and my tone is exactly how I want it to be now. With the Mesa I always felt like it was never tight or focused enough. I think I go for a little bit different of a sound than most dudes who buy those amps though...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84
                  Yeah totally....I used to use the Mesa Rectifier Standard cab but I just bought a Marshall 1960AV with the Vintage 30s and my tone is exactly how I want it to be now. With the Mesa I always felt like it was never tight or focused enough. I think I go for a little bit different of a sound than most dudes who buy those amps though...
                  Few things about mesa cabs, first they use a different v30 then most, it is designed differently with more bottem end, little less mid then normal v30's.

Second the best mesa cab out there is the traditional which is the normal size cab, the oversized cuts the mids more and is boomier, better for downtuned wall of sound.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14
                    Few things about mesa cabs, first they use a different v30 then most, it is designed differently with more bottem end, little less mid then normal v30's.

Second the best mesa cab out there is the traditional which is the normal size cab, the oversized cuts the mids more and is boomier, better for downtuned wall of sound.
                    I have a similar setup as you and this is how mine is setup right now.....

LP standard w/JB->Maxon OD808->ISP Decimator->DR->Recto Trad. cab

Ch.2 modern mode
                    (spongy/diode)
                    pres - 10:00
                    gain - 12:30
                    bass - 9:30
                    mid - 11:30
                    treb - 12:15

Ch.3 modern mode
                    (spongy/diode)
                    pres - 9:00
                    gain - 12:30
                    bass - 10:00
                    mid - 11:00
                    treb - 12:00

Maxon OD808
                    od - 7:00(just barely on)
                    tone - 10:00
                    bal - 3:30

I also have the loop and output/solo controls bypassed and use the individual masters as volume controls for each channel. Let me know how that works out for you.
                    Last edited by sworn_enemy; 06-20-2006, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X