Tell me about effects loops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about effects loops.

The single biggest drawback I've encountered with various amps I own(ed) is either the lack of an effects loop or a loop that makes the devices in it sound dull. I'm satisfied with running pedals into a head (clean channel) or power amp, but the prospect of consolidating my equipment has inspired me to consider a lot of different options. Here are the problems with my current amps.

- Peavey VTM-60 head has a loop, but it is not footswitchable AND it really dulls down the sound.

- ART DST-4 preamp has a footswitchable effects section, but using the effects unfortunately seems to decrease the overall volume. Additionally, the preamp has an effects loop which sounds fine...but it is NOT footswitchable.

- Rocktron Multivalve could cover all my effects needs, but the brief gap between patches is just enough to ruin it for live use. I tried using it with an A/B switch running into my head (dual inputs), but in my current setup, it adds to my overall amount of equipment, thus defeating the purpose.

- DOD Gate/Loop pedal sucks out the tone.

Last weekend, I played a Peavey XXX briefly. I liked the sound of it and it has a footswitchable effects loop with level control. At the minimum, I need the loop for delay, which I use for solos and cleans, but I also would prefer to have a noise gate on all the time. Can't do that with the XXX. The JSX has its own gate, but I didn't care for the sound of it. The Carvin V3 has a loop for each channel, but I can't try it out locally first. The same is true of any other brand I would consider, as the only other metal-friendly amps available in town seem to be Randall, Marshall or Mesa...and I'm not interested in any of those, with the possible exception of a Mesa Recording Preamp or something similar.

Any suggestions of under-$900 amps with good effects loops, or better yet with loops for each channel? I am also interested in learning about preamps that might fit that description, so long as they are footswitchable (not MIDI).
    sigpic

http://www.loooper.com
    Because I don't say it
    Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

on a halfway related sidenote: the fx loop of my framus cobra is geared towards rack gear, i.e. it's line level (IIRC ). is it possible to use regular fx pedals anyways?
      because i want to start using a george lynch style slapback delay for my lead sounds, and it would suck pretty hard if the cobra couldn't do it....

Comment

Preamps typically have great effects loops. The Marshall JMP-1 for example has a great one, as does the Rocktron Piranha. There is no switching lag in these suckers. The JMP-1 is nice since you can control not only the loop on and off status via MIDI, but also the send level. Piranha only lets you switch on/off via MIDI, with send-level fixed by an analog knob in the back.

[edit] OOps.. just noticed you don't want MIDI... never mind then! [edit]
        Last edited by Bert; 06-27-2006, 09:19 PM.

Comment

The Peavey Rockmaster preamp has 3 channels and FIVE effects loops (common, clean, crunch, ultra, crunch/ultra common) and can still be had for under $200 on Ebay. Be sure to get one with the yellow relays, the white ones fail a lot. No level controls and they're not footswitchable loops per se, but you can assign your effects units to the channels you want them on and when you channel-switch the effects are there for you, on or off by their own switches as you need them. Pretty handy for someone who doesn't like MIDI but would like to engage delay at the same time he switches to the lead channel. You could connect all the effects through the rockmaster and then just run its output to the power amp in or effects return of the VTM. Don't run it through the loop between the VTM's preamp and power though. Just use the power amp section and do all your preamping with the Rockmaster. It will sound a lot beter that way.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'll keep my eyes open for a Rockmaster. I've read good things about them. The only other inexpensive preamp that appeared to have similar functionality is a solid state Carvin model.
            sigpic

Comment

On the quad, there's a pretty good effects loop. It can switch between low and high (line), for pedals and more advanced rack gear. It's all geared in with the volume/line as well, so that's an extra plus. I definitly have to agree with the preamp statement above, all the more with this quad here.

It's got a sweet footswitch and it can still be switched with a MIDI module, although it doesn't take MIDI switchers too well, the only one it does take and is transparant enough not to take away the sweet tone is something called an 'Amp Gizmo' midi switcher. Extra footswitch capabilities for extra, 'simultaneous' channel switching (playing through 2 channels at the same time), footswitchable Reverb Cancel and Reverb Boost and the list goes on.
              Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 07-01-2006, 06:41 PM.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I'm using a looper pedal on occasion as well...it works very well in taking the effects in the chain out of the loop so it doesn't suck tone.

Comment

Believe it or not.. the best series loop I ever had on an amp was a Carvin MTS3200. Pedals or processors... it worked great.
                  The 5150's loop works really good with pedals.
                  Mesa Rectifiers sound the best with nothing in the loop but if you must put something in there stick with pedals.
                  Marshall JCM's with effects loops also are pedal and processor friendly. I had great success with both.
                  Most all SS amps have user friendly effects loops.
                  The Carvin Legacy's loop works GREAT with processors like an Intellifex or the G-major.
                  Soldano's sound better with nothing in the loop just like Rectifiers.

Comment

Working...
                  X