Modern Metal Practice Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Metal Practice Amp

What would you guys suggest I use to get a good higher gain sound ala Symphony X, Dream Theater, Pagan's Mind? I was thinking of maybe some sort of POD thru a small solid state practice amp set up, but don't know much about them. I would like footswitch capability for going clean to distorted. I really am lost with modern setups. I don't want to push alot of watts here. This is bedrrom level stuff only.

chuck
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

a pod xt live into a pc with nice computer speakers is what I use, and for bedroom practice it sounds pretty darn good to me. plus it gives you pc recording ability with ease if you want to.

Comment

I use a regular pod 2.0 into either my PC speakers or my home stereo system. To do this you need to buy a few adaptors from radio shack, but works great and sounds great.

Comment

that, or I bought a 30 wt line 6 spider w/1 -12" for 200 bucks out the door for my kid..

I play it every night...sounds good when practicing!

I think..

but if you already got a POD, i'd go with Siggy's suggestion.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Will that be able to handle stuff like Symphony X, Masterplan and Pagan's Mind? Plus if I go the POD route, what are a good brand of PC speakers to go with?

chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Chasbo
            Will that be able to handle stuff like Symphony X, Masterplan and Pagan's Mind? Plus if I go the POD route, what are a good brand of PC speakers to go with?

chuck
            Well it handles everything I throw at my Uberschall..

Dude, that little amp covers all sonic territory very nicely..and I only use the "insane" channel anywhoo...my kid always uses the clean channel..I think he's distortion shy or something.

Far Masterplan, Pagans mind, symphony X is concerned ...sure!!

I do a mix of styles Nevermore, Arch Enemy, Exodus, Slayer, COB , LOG , ATG and so on....!

BTW..Pagans Mind's singer joined Eidolon, yet he may still do both, and Masterplan is no more..maybe Jorne will give VH CPR, and let them die on a good note..I been saying that for almost 10 years now..

Jorne is the only singer in the world that could save that mess..IMO...maybe.

The spyder IIs can handle all styles of metal very nicely IMO..from VH to Iced Earth..at "practice" levels of course..

I noodle around with it every night when I'm upstairs..

GO to the nearest GC and check one out..when I was searching for a bedroom amp for my kid..it was a no brainer as soon as I plugged in.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Chuck - the Spyders are cool. But if you already have a POD then just get a a small power amp and 2x12 cabinet - that would be a gig-worthy rig as well.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

You have to think of what you are gonna use this for. Do you plan on having it for home only? If that is the case defintly go the pod route, but if you think you will want to take it places then go the spider route.

The spiders sound good and get the job done, had my guitar student get one and she loves it, but the pods sound awesome and so much more choices and effects. Also with the POD you get direct recording, depending on your home system you can go as loud, or low as you want. By the way if you have a good home stereo you can just plug it right into that and you will be shocked as hell thinking you are on stage!

Comment

Roland Cube 30 will get you alot of great high gain tones.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                    that, or I bought a 30 wt line 6 spider w/1 -12" for 200 bucks out the door for my kid..
                    +1 on the Spyder II.
                    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

At the moment, I don't have a POD or anything else. I have a 1x12 cab that I use with my little tube head and a half dozen pedals. I am looking for a practice room setup only. I am getting a new computer for the room, that's why I asked about speakers. The Spyder II seems cool, but so does the POD. I am really looking to be able to plug and play as it were. The setup will NOT be gigged. Nor will it leave the house.

I move ever slowly towards completing my little jam/practice area. I will someday...maybe

BTW Horns, the word I heard was that Nils will remain apart of Pagan's Mind as well as Eidolon. Lofstad is in so many side projects himself that it's crazy. The drummer, forget his name, also has a couple side projects he's into. All those Norwegian dudes are super prolific and seem to form and reform new bands at the drop of a hat. Crazy.

chuck

Comment

I have my soundcard going to the aux input of a Behringer V-Ampire LX1200H head which powers a pair of Bowers & Wilkinson DM303 bookshelf speakers. The line outs of the Behringer also go back to the recording input of my sound card.

This setup sounds great for listening to music or practicing guitar, lets me use any backing tracks I want from the computer, and makes recording simple. And if I want to I could take the head out and use it for practice/shows with a cab or straight to PA.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider
                          +1 on the Spyder II.
                          I have to disagree. I also used spider II 30W for a decent amount of time and then sold it. The reasons are

1-) I only used the insane channel and the others were a bit useless (I play metal also) so no need to pay the extra cash for them.

2-)The high end and the low end were not anywhere near to being tight, so it sounded muddy anyway
                          Check my bands!
                          www.myspace.com/magicktr
                          www.myspace.com/sinif64
                          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

yeah, I all do is use the "insane" channel as well..

but I never found it a bit "muddy"..

it's a "practice" amp..

if you intend to use it for any other use..Siggy's advice sounds feasible..

Comment

Spider combos and their Insane setting are good for home metal practice. Anything beyond that you may be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                              X