Digitech 2120... Any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech 2120... Any thoughts?

A local store has one for $499 and I am wondering what you guys had to say about these. I thought I recall someone saying they work well for metal tones, but other than that I have no experience with them...

Anyone?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

They are good units for metal tones..but 499.00 at wherever (GC) is too much to pay IMO. If you want to buy new.. there are other places at lower prices. The 2101 and 2112 chip upgrades are not that expensive for the older units, but the S-disk and board additions can be pretty pricey.. my advice are ideas I'm sure you already consider when buying.. but if you are looking at Digitech rackmount stuff..make sure you do your homework and know which version has any issues users may have found with it and most importantly, how it sounds to you before laying down the money.
    Last edited by charvelguy; 07-02-2006, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Tom- It is at My Music Store in Apple Valley. I took a guitar in there to get some work done and I noticed the unit there.
      Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
      The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

They have one in the case at Roseville GC as well.. its about 400.00 I believe IIRC new. I seem to remember that it was close to being as much as the GNX4, but a little less than 400.00. Ebay has them for about 250ish if i recall used.

I have a 2101 with a V3.0 chip upgrade.

'Metal tones' is a subjective term as you know, IMO an ADA Mp2 has good metal tones as well.

I'm going to try running a MP1 into the effects loop of my Laney AOR 50 and gate it, maybe run a parametric and see what happens.
        Last edited by charvelguy; 07-02-2006, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Waaaaay too expensive. Try eBay, and save $200ish at least

Comment

yeah. way too high. go to ebay.

Comment

these are great units but you will tweak with it more than you will play. i just sold mine on ebay for about $350 with the control one footboard. they are cool but you really have to be careful with your levels. i found what sounded great at the house sounded like sonic ass when i went to jam at higher levels with my bro's. then they got mildly irritated when i had to adjust numerous parameters to sound good. the one really cool feature is that you can run eq after each distortion then at the end of the chain for a final eq. i was running it thru a marshall tsl 60 head (not the best choice) its better thru a power amp.
              by the way the wah totally sucks but the compression, distortions (solid state and tube), eq's, delay/reverb and especially the noise gate are top notch! IMO

i would suggest a vox tonelab se. they are more "plug and play".

Comment

I bought one off of moshwitz, it friggin rules.

I use it by itself with a power amp and i also run it in the effects loop of my 5150 for eq, delay, chorus, and noise reduction. Its top notch either way.

And its freakin purple too, so you cant go wrong.

Hopefully moshwitz will chime in, he swears by em.
                www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

I got my 2112 dead mint off ebay for wayy less. I love the thing. IMO these things should go for way more money. But like the other guys have said, be prepared to tweak and tweak again.

Comment

It takes a long time to know how to set it just the right way, but once you do, it rulez..

Comment

I have two 2120's and they sound great,mind you i dont do metal covers but get a fairly good Mr scary tone out of it.Some of the less gainy tones sound superb as well but i am not a big fan of the noise gate on it.I have other preamps(Pod Pro and Soldano)but they lack a lot when A/B'd.I find the Digitech sounds great for lead lines with fucking superb natural sounding compression that realy brings the PICK sound to any licks i play.look on ebay for it,and as guitarman says its freaking purple too

Comment

Working...
                      X