Full benefit from a 5150 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full benefit from a 5150 ??

I have been spending more time w/ my 5150, and am REALLY starting to like this amp. I will be trying the 4 cable method for noise supression. I am I better off witha BOSS NS-2 or a Smartgate?
    Also -since you really need to open these babies up to get the full tone from them, am I best off by:
    A) Removing 2 power tubes
    B) Using a Power soak or attentuator of some sort or
    C) Going line out from the cranked head (on standby) to a stereo poweramp to get full benefit of the G Major delays, verbs, etc?

Before BillzeeBub gets a chance:

BBE 442 Sonic Maximizer!
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Yep - I have one (per his recommendation) ... but to quiet it down a bit, and be able to really open it up more (why have a sports car when you can only drive 25 mph?!?)

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac
        (why have a sports car when you can only drive 25 mph?!?)
        To compensate for my small genitalia???

Comment

BOSS NS-2 or a Smartgate?
          ISP Decimator

Comment

The Smartgate is excellent Wayne.

I would suggest throwing a BBE and G-Major in the loop. Put the BBE before the G-Major to boost the loop level from the 5150 (which doesn't have a very hot loop level). Use the noise reduction in the G-Major which is excellent. That rig will give you killer useable 5150 tone. You can vary the volume of the 5150 with the output level on the G-major. This way you can turn the 5150 up pretty loud.

Comment

I'd go with the NS-2 - the Decimator has made a huge name for itself, but honestly, I don't feel it did anything better than the NS-2, and the NS-2 has that killer gate.

I'd suggest staying away from the BBE and getting a tubescreamer to put infront, instead, and I have clips to backup how insane it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3
                I'd go with the NS-2 - the Decimator has made a huge name for itself, but honestly, I don't feel it did anything better than the NS-2, and the NS-2 has that killer gate.

I'd suggest staying away from the BBE and getting a tubescreamer to put infront, instead, and I have clips to backup how insane it sounds.
                I agree.. a TS9 tube screamer sounds excellent in front of a 5150. The BBE is needed to boost the signal to the G-Major if Wayne was going to go that route.

Comment

Hmmm - LOTS of options, eh?

Comment

Hmmm - LOTS of options, eh?
                    Not that many for a 5150 Wayne. If you check the loop level on your 5150 you will see its pretty weak. Its designed (IMHO) for pedals.
                    I had an MXR Smartgate that worked perfectly in the loop of my 5150 combo. I also had one of those cheap blue Hush pedals that worked fine too.
                    At one time I had an entire pedal board plugged into the loop of my 5150 head along with a crybaby out in front. No worries at all. It sounded great.
                    My board had:
                    DD5, CH3,AC2,Tuner,GE-7 (for solo boost), FL9, Phase 90 and the MXR Smartgate

Comment

Well - I was thinking G major for channel switching, though I am not sure if i will do clean/lead, or dirty rhythm and lead... I'm just getting into the possibilities of this amp...
                      Was also considering the JSX combo because of the 1/2 power switch....

Comment

I'd suggest getting a Boss GT-6 or 8and running it in the 4 cable method. This will allow you to run the 5150's lead channel and then bypass the preamp entirely, and utilize that big, fat poweramp section with some nice modelled clean preamps from the Boss. Then, you can set up the rhythm and lead channel for a high-gain tone, and switch between the two via the footswitch, or bypass via the Boss for cleans.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3
                          I'd suggest getting a Boss GT-6 or 8and running it in the 4 cable method. This will allow you to run the 5150's lead channel and then bypass the preamp entirely, and utilize that big, fat poweramp section with some nice modelled clean preamps from the Boss. Then, you can set up the rhythm and lead channel for a high-gain tone, and switch between the two via the footswitch, or bypass via the Boss for cleans.

I have no idea what the fuck you just said. Whatever happened to running a cable from a guitar to the amp and from the amp to some speakers? :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                            The Smartgate is excellent Wayne.

I would suggest throwing a BBE and G-Major in the loop. Put the BBE before the G-Major to boost the loop level from the 5150 (which doesn't have a very hot loop level). Use the noise reduction in the G-Major which is excellent. That rig will give you killer useable 5150 tone. You can vary the volume of the 5150 with the output level on the G-major. This way you can turn the 5150 up pretty loud.
                            excellent..I get ALL the "hush" required from the G Magor..I find it quite capable of ridding mucho noise of the Uber which is actually quite noiser than the 5150..

the only tube you should pull is the one in your speedo..

To get the most of a 5150..to me is quite simple..

I'd go MATCHING cab first and foremost ( I'll swear to that till the day I die), then BBE 422, then G Major as John advised...

Then nothing in front but a wah..das it!

I see no purpose for Dist/OD stomps with that head...other than practicing at low volume when trying not to disturb the wife...I used an OD-1 or a TS9 for that.

I immediately pulled those stomps whenever I turn it up..personally I like the gain of that amp just the way it is..
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                            X