PIck up decision...help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIck up decision...help

Looking at replacing the bridge PUP (humbucker with floyd) in an import with duncan designed in place now. I am looking at Dimarzios. I would like a crisp clean crunch with high gain abilities to as I often just use the bridge pup for everything. any ideas?

Super III, Tone Zone and Breeds are what I've tried for high gain pups. I like the super III in a floyded guitar, cuts the high end a tad and has balls. Tone Zone and Breed are more open sounding but high output.
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Tone Zone and the X2N
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x
        Super III, Tone Zone and Breeds are what I've tried for high gain pups. I like the super III in a floyded guitar, cuts the high end a tad and has balls. Tone Zone and Breed are more open sounding but high output.
        What do you mean by more open sounding?

Comment

screamin demon not high gain but i think it fits the bill....or a scott ian custom duncan.....screamin demon with more output, if they are even available yet.

Comment

deleted
            Last edited by SGplayer; 07-14-2006, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGplayer
              Classic super distortion is always a good choice.
              +1 Super Distortions seem to warm up imports a bit.

Comment

Here you go. I always recommend this pickup because it FUCKING KILLS.

Seymour Duncan Blues Saraceno Trembucker.

Itis warm, it is fat, it sings, it cuts and it is designed for a Floyd. The best PU in the Duncan line and often overlooked.

If you don't like it, I will buy it.

Mike
                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I remember when those came out. All those plaid ads and the Trembucker. Neat design. I've got an old, old SH-8 in my Fusion, setup for VH jamming. The Invader isn't my taste anymore but fills the hole. Heck I'll try the Trembucker. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina
                    I remember when those came out. All those plaid ads and the Trembucker. Neat design. I've got an old, old SH-8 in my Fusion, setup for VH jamming. The Invader isn't my taste anymore but fills the hole. Heck I'll try the Trembucker. Thanks for the advice.
                    Let me know if you like it!

Mike
                    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
                      Here you go. I always recommend this pickup because it FUCKING KILLS.

Seymour Duncan Blues Saraceno Trembucker.

Itis warm, it is fat, it sings, it cuts and it is designed for a Floyd. The best PU in the Duncan line and often overlooked.

If you don't like it, I will buy it.

Mike
                      I've wanted to check them out for years - Ken used to pitch them to the JCF EVERY time someone asked for a pickup suggestion
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
                        I've wanted to check them out for years - Ken used to pitch them to the JCF EVERY time someone asked for a pickup suggestion
                        There's three different Parallell Axis models. Ken used the Distortion model PATB-2. The Blues Saraceno model is the PATB-3. The regular Original model is the PATB-1.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/compareTones/
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Super distrotion or X2N! Super D is a good all around pickup . X2N clean it sound like a Firebird pickup also has incredible output. Don't use X2N with a combo amp unless it a closed back & sealed.

Comment

Duncan Custom 5

Comment

Custom 5 trembucker
                              78 model trembucker
                              Screamin Demon trembucker
                              JB model trembucker
                              Blues Saraceno trembucker

As you can see, we can go one forever recommending pickups.
                              What you should do, is try them out for yourself.
                              Just throw one in the bridge and take it for a test drive.
                              Repeat this process untill you find the right one, for you.
                              Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying buy up all the pickups that are getting recommended. Narrow it down to two or three you think you would like try and do so. The ones you don't want, sell them on ebay or here in the classified section, or throw up a for sale ad at a local guitar store/shop. Getting rid of the ones you don't want won't be a problem.

Again, imo this is really the better way to learn first hand the difference between the desired pickups.
                              Hearing the audio samples at the SD website can be misleading.
                              Alot of varibles come into play when listening to the audio samples.
                              One can have some crappy PC speakers and unable to really hear the difference. Also, the playing on the samples are very "general/generic".
                              Meaning some pickups are more responsive to picking nuances (not so forgiving to picking, the pick hand really stands out) more than others. Some pickups mask this more so than others. Your not gonna hear that with the little diddy thats played in the sample. The whole gear, amp and rig scenario is a varible to consider too. Its gonna sound very different through your stuff, your amp, gear or rig than the online audio sample. The online audio sample has its purpose BUT it doesn't tell you what all the pickup can do or sounds like.
                              I could list more varibles but I think you see what I mean.
                              Thats why I believe, to really get a feel for a certain pickup one really needs to or should try to test it out themselves.
                              Last edited by Soap; 07-07-2006, 10:59 PM.
                              Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                              X