Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2x12 combo with built in digital effects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x12 combo with built in digital effects.

Okay, here's the deal. I'm selling my Randall head and cab. No this isn't an ad. I wouldn't want to ship such a huge beast. Anyway. I've decide that since I use my Blue Voodoo in the band, I don't need a 100 watt stack for at-home practice. I also want the versatility and convenience of a self contained combo with effects. It's going to hurt getting rid of the Randall, since I customized it myself, and built the matching cab myself, but ya gotta let go sometimes.

Anyway, what I really want, is a stereo 2X12 combo with built in digital effects. I just want something reliable, decent sounding, and not ridiculously expensive. I also don't want something super-complicated, that I'm going to have to read a 200 page manual to figure out how to change the presets.

I need help because there are so many choices.

Here are a few I am looking at:

-Line 6 Spider II 212 (around $399) - stereo, built-in tuner, modeling, 4 channels, not sure if footswitch is included, 2 x 75 watts

-Marshall MG250DFX (around $499) - stereo - no modeling - no tuner - only 2 channels - footswitch included, 2 x 50 watts

-Behringer V-tone gmx212 (around $259) - stereo, modeling, only 2 channels - footswitch included - tuner, 2 x 60 watts

-Crate VTX200S (around $549) - stereo, no modeling, 3 channels, tuner, footswitch, celestions, 2 x 100 watts

-Kustom WAV212 (around $299) - stereo, no modeling, no built-in tuner, only 2 channels but has lead boost, footswitch included, celestions, 2 x 65 watts

The Kustom seems like an awesome deal, except it doesn't have the built in tuner. The Crate is pretty much perfect, but is the most expensive. The Behringer looks good too, but I've heard questionable things about Behringer quality. I'm leaning toward the Line 6, but I'm wondering if the footswitch is included.

Another question is, do I really need stereo. If I go mono, there are suddenly a bunch more options. I assume that the stereo models will make the most of the effects.

Let me have your opinions.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Not sure if this would interest you, but I've heard good things about Carvin's SX300 and SX200.
    http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...r=SX300&CID=GA
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't know what your price limit is, but I got my Flextone III Plus (1x12) for less than the highest price you listed. It has the capability of running an external cab if you need. The Flextone III XL is the 2x12 if that's what you really want. I like mine. It's a great amp for home use and is versatile enough I could take it to a small gig and do just fine.

Comment

Damn, I always forget about the Carvin stuff, because they sell direct. It's a real shame it's not stereo.

I forgot to mention, the Kustom also has a tube pre-amp section for the lead channel.

Comment

Originally posted by 1trussell
          I don't know what your price limit is, but I got my Flextone III Plus (1x12) for less than the highest price you listed. It has the capability of running an external cab if you need. The Flextone III XL is the 2x12 if that's what you really want. I like mine. It's a great amp for home use and is versatile enough I could take it to a small gig and do just fine.
          Here's a Flextone II XL. http://cgi.ebay.com/LINE-6-FLEXTONE-...QQcmdZViewItem

Seems like a very reasonable B.I.N price. Do these have a built in tuner?

Comment

I'd look at the other Behringer line as well (the V-Ampire). I have the head and I like it quite a bit especially for the price.

Comment

Fender CyberTwin SE
              It's first on my list of amps to get. I've tried it out on many occasion and I think it blows the Line 6 and Marshall MG stuff away.
              Problem is the price... not cheap, about $1,200, but you can find a used one for around $700 to $800. And you can gig with the thing if you needed too.
              I'm also looking into the Carvin SX300, just can't find any place that has one I can try out first.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
                Fender CyberTwin SE
                It's first on my list of amps to get. I've tried it out on many occasion and I think it blows the Line 6 and Marshall MG stuff away.
                Problem is the price... not cheap, about $1,200, but you can find a used one for around $700 to $800. And you can gig with the thing if you needed too.
                I'm also looking into the Carvin SX300, just can't find any place that has one I can try out first.

I played the Cybertwin before I bought my Flextone. Although I prefer the presets on the Cybertwin, I like the Flextone a little better. But, that's just my opinion.

The Flextone does not have a built in tuner, though.

Comment

My CyberTwin is the first version rather than the SE but based on what I've heard from it if you feel like going into the $700-800 range I'd pick up a Vetta I long before I'd pick up a CyberTwin.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I like the Flextone line well enough, but I think the tone is a bit too manufactured to my ears.
                    My 2 cents.

I never tried the first version of the CyberTwin, so I can't say if the SE is an improvement or not. I just dig it.
                    Again... just my 2 cents.
                    -Rick

Comment

I won't be going any higher in price. I also need to buy a bass rig, so I have to be as frugal as possible.

Comment

With the goal of being as inexpensive as possible, I'd definitely check out the V-Ampire stuff. Built-in tuner, all sorts of models, footswitch included

Comment

A friend of my cousin's had a first version of the CyberTwin. Not enough gain in it, IMO.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy
                            With the goal of being as inexpensive as possible, I'd definitely check out the V-Ampire stuff. Built-in tuner, all sorts of models, footswitch included
                            I checked out the site Troy. It seems that it's only available with 2 - 10" speakers.

Comment

The Cybertwin does Fender amps really good. Mesa's and Marshall's and other high gain metal amps.... NOPE.

Comment

Working...
                              X