Vetta Tone and upgrade Tips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta Tone and upgrade Tips.

So all this talk about Vetta's I figured I would give some tips i have discovered after 8 hours of playing with it and tweaking and doing the updates. Thank god I had today off to play!

**update tip.**

If you get the midisport uno, first install the software before connecting device to computer and when installing the software it defaults to the 1x1 instead of the Uno and if you dont change it then it will install the wrong software.

The uno is still seen and drivers installed, you plug in the vetta and monkey program see's it, however you can not do the update. So make sure you install the right software.

Make sure to do the complete update, even though it will reset all your patches, if you do not do both parts you will have trouble.

**Tone Tips**

OK this was driving me crazy at first, i did not like the sound of the patches, there was just something not right. Then i discovered it defaults with the AIR II on, so instead of getting a straight amp sounds out of my speaker cab, i was getting what a mic'd amp would sound like, which only sounds good with the rest of a band. If you turn off the AIR II set it to global so it turns it off on every patch.

If you are not using a line 6 cab, make sure to turn off the cab sims. They do make it sound worse, exspecialy when they have a marshall going through a 1x12 and you are running that into a 4x12. And just the natural color and tone of a speaker mixed with another does not really sound that good, even though you would think it would.

Next tone tip, even though they mimic amps, do not treat them exactly like the amp it is mimicing, The tone controls are not exactly the same as the amp, so you will have to tweak to get the same sound, but it is in there.

If you use the two amp option, go into the page's of settings and make sure they are mixed right. I found some amps to be turned down even when they are the only amp.

Anyone else have tips and tricks, feel free to post.
    Last edited by siggy14; 07-12-2006, 10:05 PM.

The mic sims only effect the direct outs if you are lining out to a board or recording. They don't feed the cabinets if you are using them so they have no effect if you are playing live through speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
      The mic sims only effect the direct outs if you are lining out to a board or recording. They don't feed the cabinets if you are using them so they have no effect if you are playing live through speakers.
      They were effecting it, i thought the same thing.

Comment

Sometimes even if you're using a non line6 cab, the different cab/mic settings are useful for different tones. Do *not* take what they are called literally, use them for what they are - tone modifiers. Don't be afraid to 'break the rules' - you won't hurt anything by trying weird combinations.

Use the Vetta 'juice' compressor also to change the feel of the amp emulations - a little bit really makes for a spongier/tubier feel.

Consider a high frequency rolloff of around 8k (may need to go higher or lower, 8k is good to start) to get rid of the annoying high end 'fizz' that every modelling amp has to one degree or another.

Pete

Comment

there IS a setting to tell the head whether you are running a 2X12 or a 4X12 .. in the older firmware some of the guys found a 4x12 actually sounded better on the 2 x 12 setting ..
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

i like using the 25w greenback 4x12 sim with pretty much any speaker. i think it sounds great.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I like the 75w 4 x 12 cabs.
              Make sure you check out the presence and the loudness. THey make a huge difference.

Comment

I like the 75w 4 x 12 cabs.
                Make sure you check out the presence and the loudness. THey make a huge difference.
                that's the one I liked too. Forgot one of the most important things - create your patches at the volume you'll be playing. I know they fixed this in the update, but still wouldn't be a bad idea to check. Nothing is worse than having an awesome patch you tweaked to perfection at home sound like SHIT at the gig!

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
                  that's the one I liked too. Forgot one of the most important things - create your patches at the volume you'll be playing. I know they fixed this in the update, but still wouldn't be a bad idea to check. Nothing is worse than having an awesome patch you tweaked to perfection at home sound like SHIT at the gig!

Pete
                  That is why its important to have the loudness on when you are creating. This is the feature that adresses the Fletcher Munson thing. Your patches won't change as you turn the amp up so you can create them at very low volume levels. This one feature is worth the upgrade to 2.5.

Comment

I still think you'd be best off tweaking your patches in the environment you're going to be using them in at the volumes you're going to be using. The difference between playing at home and setting your ultimate patch and a loud band practice where your main thing is going to be to dial in a tone that sits in the mix how you want are two totally different scenarios and fletcher munson curves aren't going to take into account the difference, in my opinion. I did goof a few posts ago and mentioned the volume - it's also the environment too. It's easier to get a pleasing mix with your amp against say a stereo with an MP3 backing track cranked than a live mix - many more dynamics in the live mix. again, just my opinion. Tube amps aren't immune to this either - I've been playing with my Randall RM100 and GT8 setup at home downstairs with a 4x12 cab - and I *know* that at best I might be in the ballpark, but there is going to be some frantic tweaking for a few minutes at soundcheck and probably for a song or two also.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
                      I still think you'd be best off tweaking your patches in the environment you're going to be using them in at the volumes you're going to be using. The difference between playing at home and setting your ultimate patch and a loud band practice where your main thing is going to be to dial in a tone that sits in the mix how you want are two totally different scenarios and fletcher munson curves aren't going to take into account the difference, in my opinion. I did goof a few posts ago and mentioned the volume - it's also the environment too. It's easier to get a pleasing mix with your amp against say a stereo with an MP3 backing track cranked than a live mix - many more dynamics in the live mix. again, just my opinion. Tube amps aren't immune to this either - I've been playing with my Randall RM100 and GT8 setup at home downstairs with a 4x12 cab - and I *know* that at best I might be in the ballpark, but there is going to be some frantic tweaking for a few minutes at soundcheck and probably for a song or two also.

Pete

When people play at home they tend to use more bottem end and scoop the mid's more, but in live situations that is not the best, I know when i am at home i take more treble out, but live situation i have to add it back. so there for as twister said, it is always best to have two settings, one for live and one for practice.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14
                        When people play at home they tend to use more bottem end and scoop the mid's more, but in live situations that is not the best, I know when i am at home i take more treble out, but live situation i have to add it back. so there for as twister said, it is always best to have two settings, one for live and one for practice.
                        I agree but it isn't absolutely necessary with version 2.5.
                        You can tweak you live tone and tune it to the room by using the global controls on the Vetta itself. What I usually have to do is dial down the global bass to around 11 o'clock and dial up the treble to around 2 o'clock. I have played in several types of rooms live and those settings seem to be pretty consistant with version 2.5.
                        Again.. I agree.. its always better to set up your patches or tones (on any amp) at the approximate level you will be using them at but for many players out there that isn't possible. Version 2.5 with the loudness control activated is a nice work around.

Comment

I bet you can get a lot closer than you could without that loudness update for sure! dammit John, you and the other guys here are almost making me get another freakin' Vetta.

Comment

I agree but it isn't absolutely necessary with version 2.5.
                            You can tweak you live tone and tune it to the room by using the global controls on the Vetta itself. What I usually have to do is dial down the global bass to around 11 o'clock and dial up the treble to around 2 o'clock. I have played in several types of rooms live and those settings seem to be pretty consistant with version 2.5.
                            Again.. I agree.. its always better to set up your patches or tones (on any amp) at the approximate level you will be using them at but for many players out there that isn't possible. Version 2.5 with the loudness control activated is a nice work around.
                            I dont think it has so much to do with how loud you are playing, but the fact that you are playing in a band situation. People tend to over bass and kill the mid's when they are playing by themselves at any sound level.

But once you get with the rest of the band you realize you need to add more mid's and treble because you are not cutting through, then you realize you need to take out some of the bass because you are drowning out the bassist.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14
                              I dont think it has so much to do with how loud you are playing, but the fact that you are playing in a band situation. People tend to over bass and kill the mid's when they are playing by themselves at any sound level.

But once you get with the rest of the band you realize you need to add more mid's and treble because you are not cutting through, then you realize you need to take out some of the bass because you are drowning out the bassist.
                              My at home level patches on my Vetta work perfectly in my live and super loud band situation. I just need to turn the master volume up to around 3 on the Vetta and I am loud enough for just about any situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X