No announcement yet.

Marshall 2203

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a fair price for a 2205 in really good shape. All I could find on the bay were beaters for about $700ish

Comment

I know a lot of people don't like the re-issues, but you might want to take a look at the 2203 Kerry King signature. According to him, he plugs straight in without a boost in front, and we all know how much gain he likes. I think the price is good, considering it's a signature. I haven't heard one live, so I can't comment on the tone directly, but for sure it's an interesting amp. The clips sound pretty good and there are some vids on youtube with Kerry demo-ing the amp which are pretty nice. As far as I can tell, it's a 2 trick pony. It can pretty much nail vintage 2203 tone (with or without a boost pedal) and with the "beast" mode engaged you get Kerry's tone, or at least as close as you can without being Kerry himself.

Edit: slayer, I just noticed your username... I guess you must be familiar with this Kerry guy...
      Last edited by cbope; 10-28-2007, 03:36 AM.
      My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

The 2203 has absolute arse preamp distortion, but its power section is what is used as a comparison of all overdrive in every amp. You need overdrive pedals. Not distortion pedals. You need to crank the level and not the gain.

If you crank the gain. You will sound like a can of angry bees...but one of the greatest amps ever if you can get it to the right level and crank till the power tubes distort.
        Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Would a clean boost like the Seymour Duncan pickup booster push a 2203 into metal territory or maybe an MXR Micro Amp?
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Dunno never had one. The Catalinbread Hot Pisco Chili I had was good. That was a 30db boost tho...
            Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

The Kerry king 800 is pretty cool, but you will sound like Kerry of course and the amp really beg for EMG's, but it sounds awesome with my Ibanez universe.

Second The new Splawn Nitro is going to be bloody amazing, I'm in for an order of that amp already.

or you could always go for my fave, the Jcm900 SLX with a rat in front of it!

Chris
              Last edited by SpiralArchitect; 10-30-2007, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                I prefer the 2210, personally.

Pete
                +1
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

What makes the 2210 and the 900 SLX different? The SLX is starting to bring the $$$$$$$ on ebay. I could have bought one for $200 less a few years ago. They both a have clipping diodes-right?

Jack

Comment

Well my three 2210s sounded tits, and the SLX sounded like ass..

Maybe Pete could explain "why"..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

2210 is a diode clipping 2 channel added to the JCM800 (2203, etc).
                      SLX is aJCM900, different animal all together.
                      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

OK, got it now!!

Thanks-Jack

Comment

I had one for a little while. Not too sure why, but I liked my 2205 better. Not just because the 2205 had a CLEAN channel. Something about it, just kind of bleh(to me). Definitely needed a pedal in front(I always like more gain, then tune it to how much I feel I need). Other than that...it's typical marshall.

Comment

I A/B my 2205 and 2210..they sound very similiar at low to moderate levels. The 2210 has more headroom and girth.

The 2210 does classic VH and 80's metal tones very nicely. You can apply that tone to modern playing like I do with my Marshalls..which sound like early Soilwork or Savatage depending how and what you play.

But you're going to require to slam the front for "modern" metal tones. I use a BBE 422 in the loop, that thickens it up..

Comment

The SL-X 100 Watt head I had sounded pretty good (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it--TRUST ME). It was the only Marshall I've owned (besides the little 9V power half stack they sell ). Mesa-ish saturation, which is why I bought it. Having no clean channel made it useless for me to keep though, so I sold it.

Splawn Quick Rod amps, as other have mentioned are a GREAT alternative to the JCM and you don't need a pedal. They sound great and are more versatile than any Marshall other than JVM's or 30th Ann's. Loud suckers but, so are Marshalls right!

Haven't heard Voodoo modded Marshalls but, I have played thru Cameron modded ones (and his own CCV-100 head too). The Cameron one is the one I'd go with. It's the BEST (either one, a Jose or an Aldrich) but, good luck finding one.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Just picked this up today! I was at the right place and right time!!! 25/50 watt version. Ohhhh so sweet!

Comment

Working...
                                X