Marshall 2203

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 2203

I am considering one of these, either older or re-issue. I know alot of guys use distortion pedals in the front and that is fine, but how is the tone without one and especially are they reliable and loud? I liked the 2210(reverb) but will consider a 2203 if one pops up!! I know alot of metal bands used the 2203, so I know they Can sound good. Thanks-Jack.

There's a pretty recent thread on this, that has some pretty good info in it I think.

A stock 2203 without any pedals in front will provide gain, but not a bone-crushing lot. Most bands I know had their Marshalls modded or threw a pedal in front. Of course if you were not to use a pedal on occasion, you could tap into different aspects of the amp, making it a much more versatile tool.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

If you're going to get a 2203 you'll need to run a boost / distortion pedal in front of it to get into the metal territory. Without a boost you'll only be at the hard rock tones. Soldano Hot Mod is another option. A bandmate of mine uses a Hot Mod with a 2203 and it nails the high gain stuff no problem.

Go for an older 2203 instead of buying new.

Comment

Thanks guys!! I can get a 2004 re-issue with the effects loop already in it. What would be a good price for this one? Yes, I would run a distortion pedal or have it modded for shure. I just want something simple for metal, don`t nead clean, for reverb, it has an effects loop, so that is good to go for effects. Jack.

Comment

Now to be completely honest, I've never played one of those re-issues, but I'd never buy one, regardless. They can never catch that tone that made them want to make reissues out of the originals in the first place! So you want the tone, get the originals, they're probably even cheaper on the used market than the new reissues, too.

Can't help you on used prices for the reissues, I'm sorry.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Do the 2203`s have nice Compression? I liie the tone fairly compressed for metal. I know I will nead a pedal and the only pedal I have right now is my MT-2, maybe that will compress it or do I nead a Compression pedal? Jack.

Comment

I have used a 2203 since 92 or so with a MT-2 and it is very loud!
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Good to hear!! How about the compression? Will I nead a compression pedal for tighter compression? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

I prefer the 2210, personally.

Pete

Comment

Why is that Pete? More gain? Reverb? Jack.

Comment

more gain, fx loop, reverb, 2 channel, etc. Sure you can put a pedal in front of the 2203, but I like the gain structure on the 2210 personally.

Pete

Comment

I had a vertical input 2203 (FIRST YEAR MADE), Ahorizontal input 2203, and a 2210 all at the same time. I liked the tone of the vertical 2203 better than the horizontal. I ran a hotmod with both (Soldano gain tube replacement mod) and it had loads of compression. The vertical head had more of a compressed metal tone. It was loud and the best Marshall tone I have ever heard from any 2203 or 2204. That said, the 2210 did not have as much gain as the 2203 with the hotmod but it was way more usable. If I were to have both setups agian I would go with the 2210 because of the loop and the 2 channels. I put an overdrive pedal in the loop of the 2210 or in front and used it with channel 1 and get two super high gain channels and still had a gritty Marshall clean too. I would never get a new Marshall.

Comment

OK, got it!! Yes, my buddies 2210 sounded fantastic even without a pedal for up to light metal tones, I didn`t have a pedla to try in front of it as he playd rock/blues and hard rock. The reverb was good enough for me.Marshall should re-issue this one, I bet it would sell like hotcakes man. Man this is a hard decision, I nead to find a 2203 to try Jack.

Comment

For some reason Ive always gravitated more towards the single channel ones, and the 50 watt ones at that, but then again I would not have one as my only amp unless I was playing classic stuff or indie rock or something. I think they sound awesome though.

Comment

I'd go for the 2205, the 50 watt version of the 2210. If you're playing bedroom, or clubs, 50 watt will suit you, fine, plus you will drive the power tubes, better.
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X