Marshall 2203

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older vertical 2203 with a HotMod or Boss SD-1 in front kills

To answer the question I do like the tone of the 2203 w/o a pedal in front. Its a great loud amp and has some sweet tone by itself. I normally just used a pedal for solos.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

A 2203/4 with the Hot Mod sounds like my thing as I only play metal!! How much are the Hot Mods? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer
        A 2203/4 with the Hot Mod sounds like my thing as I only play metal!! How much are the Hot Mods? Thanks-Jack.
        Soldano doesnt make the HotMod anymore Jack but you can find them on eBay intermittently. I haven't been looking for them but I've seen them go from $120 up to $200....I think I paid around $130 for mine a while ago.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks man!! Jack.

Comment

I saw a 2003 Marshall 2203 Re-Issue on ebay with an opening bid of $950 without any bids(with 8 hours left), so what are these worth? It seams the market is way down. I am thinking $700-800? Jack.
            Last edited by slayer; 07-23-2006, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I second the Soldano Hot mod or Sd-1 in front..it adds a good deal more useable gain.
              I use a hot mod in a '77 JMP Mk2 vert input which was the predecessor to the 2204.
              If you ask me.. a MK2 100w from those years post '76-77 to '80 is the way to go but they also 'MAY' be in need of a cap job.
              The reissue price of the JCM800's are still on the high side as they are rather new product even used- usually in the 1000 range. If you saw one for 950.00 you likely should have snagged it but I personally think they are overpriced.
              The JMP MK2 reissues are in the ball park you are figuring..older large/conversion logo Mk2..'usually' less...depends on condition, but they are going up in value.

A Cameron or Trace modded Marshall amp is really, IMO. the way to go if you are going to end up paying a grand or more.
              ..or a Splawn

Check out this link..
              amplifier, tube amplifier, valve amplifier, guitar amplifier, tube amp, valve amp, guitar amp, vacuum tube, thermionic valve, tone, amplifier myths, amp myths

You may also want to consider a Mesa..
              Last edited by charvelguy; 07-23-2006, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Ya man, there is a 2203 re-issue on Ebay for $950 with no bids. I am going to try to get a hold of that guy if he doesn`t get any bids unless I can make a deal with someone else. I am going to try out the Boogies also, someone said the Stilettos are like the JCM on roids, but I never heard one. How are the Splawns? Jack.

Comment

Splawn used to have a site up with clips.. looks like it is down at the moment. His own amps are another variant of the hot rodded Marshall style family as well as doing custom mods on Marshalls. I know that is pretty non specific, generic sounding. I wish there were more clips out there for people to compare stuff side by side.

Comment

So, Splawn makes his own amps from scratch? Jack.

Comment

yes..econ also has a Splawn competition for sale. The Quick Rod is a very popular Splawn amp.

Course.. when you start getting into that price range.. then you have to consider Mako, Bogner, Engl, VHT, etc..
                      Last edited by charvelguy; 07-23-2006, 06:45 PM.

Comment

So true bro!! Jack.

Comment

Hey guys, I just saw a clear inside shot of a 2005 Marshall 2203 Re-issue and they most definitely have 2 Large Trannys and 6 Caps and they have Flying Leads. I think Marshall did these newer ones justice, they are way better built than the TSL`s. Jack.

Comment

I've never played an older jcm 800 2203 but I got a reissue running it with a boss sd-1 and it straight up crushes. I've also owned 3 sl-x 2100's and 2 valvestate 8100's and the jcm 800 blows 'em all away even though my sl-x set up ripped ass also.The 800 just has more balls to it. I would love to know how the reissues differ from the originals other than the the fact the new ones use dagnell trannies and the older ones used drake and i think the new ones use different brand of caps also. Other than that I would love to hear an older one and the reissue side by side just to hear the difference. I've also heard the newer ones doesn't have the bottom end like the older ones but mine sounds killer on the low end department.
                            Gear
                            '88 Charvel Model 6
                            '90 Charvel 650 Custom
                            '92 Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional
                            '93 Jackson USA Randy Rhoads PCS #23
                            '07 Jackson DKMG Mutt

Comment

the Splawn QR kicks ass...no need for a pedal in front of that one I have the older shared EQ version....killer modded Marshall tone
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

For a stock Marshal HEAD with no stomps..the 2210 is my fave..
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X