Roland Synths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Synths

Hey guys. I really like the features that the GR20 has and would be incredible for coming up with some great ideas for songs. But how does the VG88 compare to the GR20? does the VG88 have more features and effects than the GR20?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

There is no comparison between a VG88 and a GR20. They work on completely different principles.

The VG-88 and it's predecessor the VG-8 (which by the way is way cooler for synthy-trippy tones) are basically guitar signal processors. So in one sense they are like a combination of a Variax and a POD since they do guitar, amp, and effects modeling. Since each strings has it's own audio output you can vary the guitar tuning like the Variax Workbench - except the VG is much more versatile in the tuning department than the Variax. But the VG stuff doesn't stop there. They also allow for VERY non-traditional guitar type tone modeling. They have some synth type "guitar" models and some killer effects to go with it. But you will never get something like a piano sound out of the VG stuff since it is not triggering samples or anthing like that.

The GR20 is a pitch to voltage device. It takes the output of the GK hex pickup and attempts to detect the pitch of the string and ultimately translate that into a MIDI note (or message for pitch bend and such). From there, you are in MIDI land and can trigger anything MIDI. The GR20 has a builtin synthesizer. It is very limited. Personally, I have the GI-20 which is just the pitch to MIDI part and then I have a Roland XV-5050 for a synthesizer. I am thinking of selling the GI-20 and upgrading to the Axon AX-100 because it tracks better than the GI-20.

BTW, any older VG-8 can be upgraded to a VG-8EX for free but you have to find someone with an S-1 board to do it. I have one and have upgraded several people's VG-8s.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Oh, unlike the MIDI guitar stuff, with the VG technology there are no tracking problems or delays since it is basically just a guitar processor.

- Newc

Comment

So if you want to do say, strings and horns and stuff like that, the VG88 would not be the one to get, but the GR20 would be? I had someone ask me about this at work and Ive been doing some research to figure out the answer as I do not know.

Comment

The GR20 would be better for horns and strings if they want sample quality horns/strings. If old synthy horns or strings are what they seek, then the VG-8 can do stuff "like" that.

- Newc

Comment

Ah i see. Cheers Tim, i'm looking for non-guitar sounds (synth, brass, piano etc) so the GR stuff seems to be more the thing i should be looking into
            93 USA Soloist EDS
            USA HT6 Juggernaut
            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

my only question would be GR20 or GR33. Which one of those two would give more convincing results. I'm paranoid about tracking issues. not tried this axon ax-100. i'll check it out..
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi
                my only question would be GR20 or GR33. Which one of those two would give more convincing results. I'm paranoid about tracking issues. not tried this axon ax-100. i'll check it out..
                a gr20 is a step down from a gr33 in terms of capabilities and sounds. the gr20 is still a nice unit though - you can always add more synth modules.

- Newc

Comment

I have the GR-33 with a GK-3 pickup mounted to a Les Paul Studio. I had some issues trying to get the pickup properly calibrated to track correctly but in the end a Roland rep helped me get it straightened out and it works great! He also told me that the GR-20 tracks a bit better than the GR-33 but the GR-33 has more features and allows you to name pragrams. The GR-33 is no longer available new in the US market I believe though. I have not done much programming with the GR-33 but the factory piano, strings, and horns sound great in it! I used it live one time. My band does Still Of The Night by Whitesnake and I can send a guitar signal to my Uberschall and at the same time a Violin sound through the PA for that middle part and it sounds killer! Oh yeah, the nice thing about the GK-3 pickup is the mounting system which basically sandwhiches between the Les Paul bridge and uses the strap button for mounting. No holes to drill into your axe and no sticky mounting tape to put on your finish. If you decide to remove the pickup later there will be no marks on your guitar and no holes, gotta love that! The GR-20 kit includes the older GK-2 pickup I believe, the GR-33 sells seperately and so I bought the GK-3 pickup for it. I'm also not sure if the GR-20 will allow you to assign each string individually but I know the GR-30 does.
                  Besides, if you get the GR-30 I'll know who to ask for help with mine on here on JCF so I vote GR-33

Rudy
                  www.wickedrocks.com
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                  X