Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need MIDI pedal suggestion - G-Minor or bust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need MIDI pedal suggestion - G-Minor or bust?

I finally got my rack rig dialed in just right and got great clean, rhythm and lead patches set up with my ART DST-4 preamp. The only thing it doesn't have that I want for live use is a small MIDI controller. I have the ART X-11 board, which is a 7-button unit (bank up and down buttons, five patch-select buttons), but I want something small and battery operated so that I'm not running cables all over as on my current pedalboard setup. The DST-4 two-button footswitch can turn the distortion and onboard effects on or off, but only controls the current patch. My basic needs for clean/distorted switching and effects are covered, but I can't get the volume and EQ boost for my leads with just the footswitch - I need MIDI. Specifically, I want a small MIDI pedal that can run on battery power.

But of course there is a catch. I need to be able to switch patches FAST. Since I have my clean, rhythm and lead patches in preset positions 1/2/3, I usually play in position 2 (distortion w/o effects) and can switch to 1 for clean and 3 for boosted leads with delay. I want a MIDI pedal that activates each patch as it scrolls through them, not requiring me to hit a second button to activate the patch. Nobody local stocks anything that I can try out, so I have to read specs and order online.

So far, only the TC Electronic G-Minor appears to do this - it has an "Online" mode where patches are activated as you cycle through them with the Up/Down button, and an "Offline" mode where you cycle through and then activate with another button; Online mode is what I seek. From what I've read, the Tech 21 MIDI Mouse and Rocktron MIDI Xchange both require the two-button approach to first cycle through and then activate the patch.

Any suggestions, or is the G-Minor probably my best bet? I hate to pay the extra cash for it, especially since a lot of its functionality is wasted without a TC processor attached, but it looks like the only unit that will do what I want. And that's assuming there's no gap between patches when using the pedal. Any G-Minor users want to chime in?
    sigpic

I don't believe the G-Minor is battery powered. Look at the midi-mouse. Rocktron makes a nice one.

Comment

Also check out the MFC5 from www.axess-electronics.com. Pricey, and currently not being made due to a parts shortage, but I've got an order in for one anyway (for my Marshall 30th Anny amp, which is MIDI capable).
      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
        I don't believe the G-Minor is battery powered. Look at the midi-mouse. Rocktron makes a nice one.
        Yeah, but the Rocktron and MIDI Mouse are both "two-step" pedals. It probably seems like a minor thing, but I'm so used to the simple stomp box approach that having to cycle through the patches and then press a different pedal/button to activate the new patch is a PITA.
        sigpic

Comment

Rocktrom MIDIMATE...

Mine has been through hell and back... Still rocks... And I've owned a few others...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal
            Rocktrom MIDIMATE...

Mine has been through hell and back... Still rocks... And I've owned a few others...
            what he said, i love my midimate
            My music:
            www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone
              Yeah, but the Rocktron and MIDI Mouse are both "two-step" pedals. It probably seems like a minor thing, but I'm so used to the simple stomp box approach that having to cycle through the patches and then press a different pedal/button to activate the new patch is a PITA.
              You mentioned you were looking for battery powered. There aren't many choices out there.

Comment

I ended up proving myself wrong, or rather Tech 21's tech support did. The MIDI Mouse has Active and Search modes, and in Active mode, the patches switch immediately as you cycle through them. And JG, you were correct in that the G-Minor is NOT battery-powered.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X