Adding Effects Loops??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Effects Loops??????

Guys, I may be buying a 1985 Marshall 2204 head and it is the Canadian model and they were built the old school way without an Effects Loop. So, how much are they to add to these? I would definitely want a Level knob. What is better Series or Parrallel Loop? Thanks-Jack.

Originally posted by slayer
    Guys, I may be buying a 1985 Marshall 2204 head and it is the Canadian model and they were built the old school way without an Effects Loop. So, how much are they to add to these? I would definitely want a Level knob. What is better Series or Parrallel Loop? Thanks-Jack.
    Not to rain on your parade Jack but my suggestion is to find an amp with an effects loop. Don't muck with a vintage 2204.
    In these days of series high gain Marshall voices amps you have tons to choose from. Get a 5150. Metal without robbing a bank for it.

Comment

John, you were thinking what I was thinking, I don`t want to batardize the old 2204 man, it is in seriously fine shape!! I may pick it up and just run something in the front, and then find another amp for the main one. Noy too many chances at a minty Canadian version of the 2204!! Jack.

Comment

Jack, if you want a really cool Marshall to throw a pedal in front of you should score 442w30's 1987x. THATS WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!
        I want that amp so bad I can taste it. Unfortunately I am low on cash but stocked up with gear currently.
        I want the amp strictly for 1 reason.
        THE COOLNESS FACTOR

Actually.. his amp is a 1987 because it isn't the reissue.
        Its closely related to the JTM45 and is in the same family tree as the 2204.
        Last edited by jgcable; 07-23-2006, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I hear very little about that model bro. What are they all about? Jack.

Comment

I hear very little about that model bro. What are they all about? Jack.
            Classic vintage Marshall.
            Its basically the infamous 4 vertical input 50w Plexi.
            Probably the most noted current metal user is Malmsteen. Throw a pedal in front of it and look out.

Comment

if you like the amp for what it is but must also have effects, then get a floor standing guitar multi-fx unit - boss and line6 are the best ones i've tried. in fact, i already own a gt-8 and i definitely want to buy the line6 machine next.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Good ideas guys!! The Multi FX sounds like a great idea. Do you run them in the loop? Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi
                  if you like the amp for what it is but must also have effects, then get a floor standing guitar multi-fx unit - boss and line6 are the best ones i've tried. in fact, i already own a gt-8 and i definitely want to buy the line6 machine next.
                  Most if not all of those multi-fx units sound like canned ass when plugged into the input jack. Especially the time based effects.
                  When you have an amp with no effects loop you can put things in front of it but you must make your choices wisely. Reverb, chorus, wah, flangers, phasers, overdrive and distortion all sound great out in front. Delay doesn't so if you need it... get an amp with a loop. You also will NOT be able to boost the volume level of your amp for solo's if you are using the natural distortion of the amp. Throwing a preamp, boost or overdrive pedal in front of it will only add gain... with little to no volume boost.

Comment

OK John, yes the Distortion is #1 about the amp and some nead help with it and others don`t, I imagine the old Marshalls do unless they are modded. I do want to experiment with different effects. Jack.

Comment

OK John, yes the Distortion is #1 about the amp and some nead help with it and others don`t, I imagine the old Marshalls do unless they are modded. I do want to experiment with different effects. Jack.
                      All old Marshall's need help to get into the Metal Zone. There are tons of pedals to get you there. Thats half the fun of owning an old vintage Marshall.

Comment

Rock on man Jack.

Comment

Well, you can always add effects EVH style. This is what I do to add wet effects to my Voodoo VibroChamp. What you do is this:

From the speaker out into some sort of attenuator that has a buffered line out. I use a Weber Micro Mass, but I have a 7 watt amp. You need something bigger...or a speaker simulator. Something that will put a dummy load on the amp;

From the dummy load into effects;

From effects into a power amp;

Power amp to speakers.

You will get some degradation of tone with a setup like this, but not a huge degradation. Quality of poweramp will have alot to do with this.

It works really well, though. I only wanted to add time based effects, so I had no choice. You cannot run them up front with any success.

Mike
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                          X