Mesa 50/50 - 2:50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 50/50 - 2:50

What's the difference in sound and experience between the two? The 2:50 has a lot of nice features, like a biasswitch (for 6l6 or el34's), Class A/B and whatnot. They switched to this facelifted version in 2002.

The old 50/50's (post-92/93) have the stock deep mod, but no bias select and are in class A.

Anyone care to elaborate? I'm about half an inch away from pulling the trigger on one of these babies, asked the guy which version he has (as I'm leaning more towards the 2:50(newer) because of its added versatility, but how does it sound in comparison to the older ones?)

Which version is the one to go for, in your opinion?
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

i don't think you'll have to worry about that too much. if you want the versitility, get the newer one. if that shit isn't important to you, the older one will do just fine.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have owned both and havent noticed much of a difference besides features. Some people claim the older ones sound warmer, but that could also be to the type of tubes shipped. Other then that it comes down to features, if you want the ability to go between EL34's and 6l6's then go with the newer one, but if you want to be able to cut the power down go with the older one, however you can still cut the new one by only using one side but you lose stereo that way.

In my opinion i got rid of both and got the randall, I can bias it, plus i can have EL34's on one channel and 6l6's on the second channel, i can also bridge the amp if i dont have two cabs or a cab with only single input.

Comment

Thanks Siggy! I totally overlooked the 'LO' switch on the older 50's, to go to 15 watts, that's pretty essential to me!

Pulling the trigger on a '99 near mint 50/50 as we speak! He's even including a 6space rack with it, so that's a sweet bonus!
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm
          Thanks Siggy! I totally overlooked the 'LO' switch on the older 50's, to go to 15 watts, that's pretty essential to me!

Pulling the trigger on a '99 near mint 50/50 as we speak! He's even including a 6space rack with it, so that's a sweet bonus!
          No problem, good luck

Comment

Working...
          X