Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But 100 watters have more low end kick.

Comment

How so? Besides, Laneys seem to have plenty of room to dial in bottom end, especially with the pull boosts.
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Wow, what great information. I have looked long and hard for a "great amp" and I think I have finally found one. Thanks Nonamemx for the great "Run down" of how it all works and thanks Racerx2K for the laney site - I can always count on this site to have all the gold !

I also just purchased a marshall JCM800 1960 b cab - which turned out to be from the same guy who sold me the Laney AOR 50 ! I didn't recognize his ebay "handle" until after my third bid! I had just missed a slant cab, and ended up getting this one (which is in better shape) for $75 less than I had bid for the previous cab......I guess the head did not want to be separated from the cab that it had grown a customed to !
        Anyway, ck it out and Thanks tons for all the help and great infor.

Comment

Mm, tan carpet, nice lookin.

Comment

Nonamex,

Do you happen to remember what settings you used to record your Soundclick page demo??

Comment

Originally posted by nonamemx
              Mm, tan carpet, nice lookin.
              Tan GRILLCLOTH. No carpet.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by memberzonly
                Nonamex,

Do you happen to remember what settings you used to record your Soundclick page demo??

How'dja find my sounclick page? Its not in my profile to my knowledge.

oh well, the usual is Boosts on the Bass and Mids, all EQ knobs at 5, Master and Preamp 1 levels at 4, and Preamp 1 and 2 volumes at 6.

Not very loud, pretty much bedroom volume in that clip.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamemx
                  How'dja find my sounclick page? Its not in my profile to my knowledge.

oh well, the usual is Boosts on the Bass and Mids, all EQ knobs at 5, Master and Preamp 1 levels at 4, and Preamp 1 and 2 volumes at 6.

Not very loud, pretty much bedroom volume in that clip.

Thanks for the info. I did a search for 'Laney Pro Tube' and you showed up in my search results. Actually, the clip is what caused me to pull the trigger on an AOR 50. It'll be here tomorrow.

Comment

I had forgotten that Vinnie Moore used these on his first couple albums.. I thought his tone on Meltdown was ok rhythm wise. His lead tone is very nice. I believe he used the older non cascading version.. just the master vol ones and they were slightly modded.

Laney's can sound a little thin without eq and so much gain. I know when I first tried one out back in '85 into a greenback Marshall, my initial impression of it was "too thin". I actually had a friend bring his down to the club and I tried it out.. I believe I did not use it for even a set.
                    To me.. it was too much of a drastic change to consider playing thru.. so it may take a little dialing in to make it work.. pedals and/or a EQ.

Comment

Just got mine.

Quick question . . . what pre and power tubes are y'all using?

Comment

JJ's.

I think they might actually be a bit too smooth. . . I want more grit!

Comment

Well . . .

Just put in the following:

V1 - RFT 12ax7
                          V2 - Mullard 12ax7 - original not Groove Tubes
                          V3 - Mullard 12ax7 - original not Groove Tubes
                          V4 - Ratheon 12ax7 - original

The amp come with JJ EL34L's and Ei's in the pre's. So far, the amp sounds WORLDS better with my change.

More to report l8r.

Comment

Svet El34's. I don't recall the preamp, I had a few Valvo long plates and a 12BZ7 in one. I think I tried it with a Soldano hot mod too if I recall but it was a while back.

Comment

Working...
                            X