Carvin X100B Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin X100B Head

Well dudes, I have a chance at one of these with the Tolex(some had fur) covering and EL34`s(some had 6L6`s) in very good condition. I had an X60 combo years ago and remember it was very well made and the tone was very good and the reverb was top notch, the distortion came from a pedal. So, how are the X100B`s with the EL34`s like. My old X60 combo had 6L6`s. Jack.

Heh. . .Im sitting on the computer right now, playing mine. I have a 1987 model, which was a year before they started the EL34 models. Mine came with 6L6's, but I had it re-biased for some JJ EL34Ls. (they are fixed bias amps, so he had to change a couple things in the amps to make it work right)

Without a boost, the overdrive doesnt have much compression at all. But. . it is rather thick sounding. With a pedal, its really thick, heavy, and mean, good for metal playing, I have an Ibanez TS-9 reissue and a Jap Boss DS-1. The DS-1 doesnt sound good at all on it, but the Tubescreamer sounds really really nice, so does a SD-1, or Maxon OD-808. (other pedals that I used to own). Some sort of tubescreamer and it will scream.

The cleans are beautiful, really really awesome, expecially with that reverb on top.

Does it come with a footswitch? Back in the day, it was an option, sort of like Carvin does today, you buy it seperately, and it has 3 buttons. 1. Switches channels clean/dirt. 2. FX Loop on/off. and 3. Reverb on/off.

I think I may have preferred the amp's natural tone with 6L6's. But, that makes sense because mine is a 6L6s models. The EL34 models have a slighly different preamp that makes them sound better with EL34s. I've done some research and alot of people prefer the 6L6 models, and alot of people prefer the EL34 fuzzy ozite models. So. . .I dont know.

Mine is a strange one, known as one of the 'Transitional models" some of the wierd ones made in 1987-1988. It has the old school script logo on the face, but on the chassis next to the power/standby/EQ switches, it has the newer carvin logo. The matching Carvin V412-C cabinet has the script logo on the face, with the expanded steel grille, but the handles on the sides have the newer Carvin logo.

Its not the best amp, its rather raw and raunchy sounding, kinda has that Randy Rhoads thing going on if you crank up the middle tab on the graphic EQ. Or, it does that early Metallica sort of thing with that same tab down, to scoop the mids. Lots of quick, dramatic tone shaping can be done with that EQ. Whatever you do though, it has MAJOR balls.

These things go for $300-400 on ebay. Make sure whatever your getting it at is within those boundaries.

Comment

I am using my 6L6 Carvin (script logo) at a gig this weekend. I sent my Lee Jackson to the shop to get look at and my old Marshall MKII doesn't have an effects loop so I pulled out the Carvin. I can't even remember when I used it last. It sounded better than I remember it sounding. I even got some compliments from the band members on its tone. Everyone seemed to like it.
      Just one more guitar!

Comment

Good news!! I will let you all know. Yes, it comes with the Footswitch I am not sure if I would prefer 6L6`s over EL34`s or not with this amp as I prefer both types of tubes. I am glad it is loud, that is good to hear as I like it loud without getting really mushy. Thanks-Jack.

Comment

I like the 25-50-100% switch they came with!
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Good point. Forgot those came that. May have to look for some soundclips, to help my decision on one of these. Anybody know where I can hear one?
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

SUper clean, super loud, great clean channel and reverb and they take pedals really good. Especially tube screamers. Zappa and Vai used them.

Comment

Cool!! I hope it goes down, I can`t wait to try it out if I get it and I really wanted an EL34 version with tolex!! If i dig it, maybe I will get a TS from Keeley. I will try it first with my stock MT2. Jack.

Comment

sounds like an 1988 model. That was the only year they had the new EL34 design with the tolex.

From 1989- on they had the ugly fuzzy catscratch ozite carpet.

Comment

Cool clips. Is that all X100B? Did you run anything in front of it? I really dug the solo work on "Addiction".
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Do these amps have Master Volumes? I love that feature on amps. If not, I guess you have to play these loud like old Marshalls? 1988 eh, that is cool. Ya that fuzzy nasty stuff on the ones after that are fugly, why the hell would Carvin do that Jack. EL34`s for 1 year, that is also kinda weird Jack.

Comment

The drive channel has a master volume but the clean channel does not.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

OK man, I got it, no master on the clean. I am use to amps with with overall master volumes also like my Peavey Ultra. I believe this is going down, can`t wait!! Jack.

Comment

Damn! You are making an early day of, it, aren't ya, Jack! lol.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Dood, I can`t sleep past 6 am as I work no later than 6 on any given day, but usually earlier than that!! Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X