No announcement yet.

Carvin X100B Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The older ones came with 6L6s. . .the newer carpeted ones came with EL34s.

I had the bias circuit in mine modded to handle EL34s, it was a 6L6 fixed bias amp before.

It can do the Steve Vai solo thing really well, but it also can do thrash really well, just use that slider EQ. Toss up the bass, yank down the mids, maybe some high end and youve got a brutal sound.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamemx

I had the bias circuit in mine modded to handle EL34s, it was a 6L6 fixed bias amp before.

It can do the Steve Vai solo thing really well, but it also can do thrash really well, just use that slider EQ. Toss up the bass, yank down the mids, maybe some high end and youve got a brutal sound.
      Sweet I can`t wait Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
        Uh, ya lost me. "Xtreme"?
        I'm guessing an ART Xtreme.
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Jack, take out the EL34s and put in the new JJ KT77s in place of them!!!!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Is that the trick, where it will lower your effective output, thus allowing you to crank it up, and drive the power tubes, more?
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas
              I'm guessing an ART Xtreme.
              You must be right. Makes sense, although, again, I want my AMP to do the work, not an outboard pedal. Aside from a slight solo boost, my distortion pedal days are over.
              Those MTS and, of course, Legacy amps look promising. And I still have't ruled out finding a Laney AOR head to match my Laney AOR cab.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                Jack, take out the EL34s and put in the new JJ KT77s in place of them!!!!
                The guy I am trading for it said the exact same thing!! He has a Splawn Quick Rod and he said the Mullards were way too bright, he called Bob up and got some JJ KT77s and boom, no more bright top end and more lows!! I will definitely try them I will also try some EH 6CA7`s, they kinda do the same effect, but I never tried KT77`s. Are they kinda like a KT88`s, but EL34 sized?Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamemx

Not without pedals. IMHO.. of course after owning several X100B's in various flavors. The EL34 models need pedals to do thrash and you will most certainly need a tube screamer to do the Vai thing. That.. and an effects processor in the loop.

Comment

I have played through many x100's and they all were great sounding amps but preaty lackluster in the grind dept. I used a MT-2 metalzone in front of one with great results. Your mileage may vary.
                    Damn this is an expensive hobby.....

Comment

Sounds, then, that I should move on, and continue looking at Carvin MTSes, Legacies, or a Laney AOR head.
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Sounds, then, that I should move on, and continue looking at Carvin MTSes, Legacies, or a Laney AOR head.
                        Trust me on this one bro.... I know that different ears hear different things but I am telling you from experience with X100B's (which I like very much...) that if you want to do metal or thrash you WILL need a pedal.
                        They all have the hot rod feature that when activated it gives the amp a zillion times more gain but what they don't tell you is that its a fuzzy compressed type of gain that is NOT suitable for chord playing or metal. You have to leave an EL34 based X100B in the normal rhythm channel and use a pedal like a Tube Screamer for hard rock to metal or something like a Metal Zone for thrash or death.
                        Carvins "death or thrash" metal amp is the MTS3200.
                        Personally... for that kind of music you can't go wrong with a 5150 or a Rectifier.

Comment

That's just it, I don't want to do metal of thrash. I wanna do AC/DC, VH, Slash tones.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by gtrcollectr
                            I have played through many x100's and they all were great sounding amps but preaty lackluster in the grind dept. I used a MT-2 metalzone in front of one with great results. Your mileage may vary.
                            Yep, I have a Metal Zone waiting for it!! Jack.

Comment

You will be fine then...I think they are super amps but just not thought of as great chunk amps. I use a Visual Sound J&H and can get just about any distortion sound with a little adjustment.
                              Damn this is an expensive hobby.....

Comment

That's just it, I don't want to do metal of thrash. I wanna do AC/DC, VH, Slash tones.
                                I misunderstood.... so many JCF'rs are into the brutal death metal tone.

These are STOCK amps with NO EXTERNAL PEDALS REQUIRED that will do what you are looking for and won't cause you to take out a second mortgage to get one.

Carvin:
                                MTS3200
                                Legacy

Marshall:
                                DSL50/100
                                TSL100
                                SLX
                                even the little 8100 (VS100)

Peavey:
                                5150II
                                JSX (from recommendations.. not 1st hand experience)
                                Ultra
                                Ultra Supreme

Laney:
                                AOR50

Crate:
                                Blue Voodoo

Soldano:
                                Hot Rod 50+

Mesa Boogie:
                                F Series
                                Nomad
                                Mark 3
                                50 Caliber
                                Stiletto Ace (its a great amp for what you are looking for)

Line 6:
                                Vetta
                                Flextone 3
                                Spyder 2

Randall
                                RG100ES
                                Cyclone
                                Titan

Yea.. I know... Framus, Engl, Bogner etc... but to me these fall into the REALLY EXPENSIVE category.
                                There are a ton more but this is what I came up with off the top.

Comment

Working...
                                X