No announcement yet.

Carvin X100B Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm up for work, at 5, but on weekends, as long as the kids leave me alone, I'm in a coma till 11!
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

This is the '89 I used to have Tolex and Groove Tubes EL-34's. Awesome amp.

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Nice amp, Bengal. How was the gain on it. Would you say it sounded anything like a hotrodded JCM 800?
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

The dude that I am getting the X100B off of said I had to Retention The Tube Sockets, what the hell does that meen? I never did that before. Jack.

Comment

Retention? sounds like they are wobble-y?
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
              Nice amp, Bengal. How was the gain on it. Would you say it sounded anything like a hotrodded JCM 800?
              The gain on it was great! You could get it roaring in the distortion mode with the gain control like a modded JCM 800 and back off the gain a bit a clean it up a bit like a 1959 SLP Plexi. The 100% power was killer. Only good in a 50,000 arena I mostly used the 25% and 50% power levels. I also thought the clean was quite good. I hardly ever used the 100%. I would have never sold it if it hadn't been that I switched to rack gear 2 years ago. I bought it new in '89. It pretty much put my '82 Marshall JCM 800 2210 and my 50 W Plexi to shame as far as versitality.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

That's good to hear, being as the 2100 (as well as the 2205) is one of the amps I'm considering. I especially like the 25% option. I am also considering thing like the Carvin MTS3200, the Legacy, and a 50 watt Laney AOR (I run an 80-era AOR 4x12 cab, loaded with G12M-70s). I remember the days when Steve Vai used these X100Bs, and I have always loved his tones. I also am a big fan of the AC/DC, VH, and Slash tones, so I am looking for something in those veins. Like I said, before, a hotrodded Marshall 800 sound.
                You know, back in 1990, I aquired a Marshall JCM 800 combo amp. That friggin thing rocked. But, like a jackass, I traded it in for a 4-track. Man, looking back, I got SOAKED! Still kicking myself for that one, after all these years!
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Retention? sounds like they are wobble-y?
                  I found out this is normal after you pull the tubes or change them out. it is just the tightening of the little metal thingys that hold the tube prongs in and keeps them aligned straight. He is doing it for me, so it is all cool!! Some guys said to turn off the graphic eq and run a KFK 10 band in the front and it is even meaner Jack.

Comment

I've not personally had much success with EQ, up front. they don't seem to react as well as through the loop.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I will try it both ways bro and let you know how it turns out. I should have the amp within a week Jack.

Comment

Thats my 1987 one.

Comment

Wow!! Could that head be any cleaner I can`t wait to get mine. If I don`t like it, I will go back to a 6L6 amp or KT88`s or something. Jack.

Comment

Hey man, after I get it, if you want to come over and try it, you are welcome to give her a go bro Jack.

Comment

Yeah, Its in mint condition, never gigged. Its 18 years old, and its never seen a stage. I dont know if its even been played cranked for more than 30 minutes. Hell, the thing probably needs a proper-breaking in.

It was one of those ideal used-car type deals. The guy said he bought in when he was in high school in 1988, right before he went to college. Left it at his parents house for 18 years, played it off and on when he visited, at bedroom volumes. I paid $700 for the head and the matching cab, which is a DAMN good cab. Solid as hell, the only way inside is though the speaker holes, which makes it hard to rewire, but you dont have to worry about the back panel getting loose. Its got english Celestion G12M-70 speakers, which are somewhat like a high-power greenback, very clear speakers.

I liked the cab so much, I bought another one that came across ebay and was local. My Laney sits on that one. They look badass too, the expanded-steel grille = awesome. I love cabs with metal grilles where you can see the speaker, very cool.

Comment

The X100B doesn't have the same gain structure as the 2210.
                                It is MUCH more like the 2203.
                                The X100B on 100% power is arena loud.
                                The clean channel is possibly the best 100w clean I have ever heard. You talk about headrroom!! The reverb is excellent. Build quality is excellent.
                                The best thing about the X100B is the 25%50%100% power switch and the fact that it is both pedal and peocessor friendly in both the loop and out in front. It also has a great built in graphic EQ and the tone controls are active.
                                I have a 1986 X60 which is basically the 60w 1 x 12 combo version of the X100B. Its BOUTIQUE good and loud enough to keep up with a loud band nbo problem at all!!
                                The X series Carvin tube amps are VERY good versatile amps.

Comment

Working...
                                X