Carvin X100B Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slayer
    Hey man, after I get it, if you want to come over and try it, you are welcome to give her a go bro Jack.
    Well, thank you very much for the kind offer, Jack. Being as we are just about neighbors, I just may take you up on it. Be sure to let us know what you think, after you've gotten it and played it.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
      That's good to hear, being as the 2100 (as well as the 2205) is one of the amps I'm considering. I especially like the 25% option. I am also considering thing like the Carvin MTS3200, the Legacy, and a 50 watt Laney AOR (I run an 80-era AOR 4x12 cab, loaded with G12M-70s). I remember the days when Steve Vai used these X100Bs, and I have always loved his tones. I also am a big fan of the AC/DC, VH, and Slash tones, so I am looking for something in those veins. Like I said, before, a hotrodded Marshall 800 sound.
      You know, back in 1990, I aquired a Marshall JCM 800 combo amp. That friggin thing rocked. But, like a jackass, I traded it in for a 4-track. Man, looking back, I got SOAKED! Still kicking myself for that one, after all these years!
      Throw a Tube Screamer in front of an X100B on the normal gain channel set at around 6 and you will be getting that old Vai/Roth/Zappa tone for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
        Throw a Tube Screamer in front of an X100B on the normal gain channel set at around 6 and you will be getting that old Vai/Roth/Zappa tone for sure.

6L6 or EL34?

I never could figure out for sure what he used.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamemx
          6L6 or EL34?

I never could figure out for sure what he used.
          +1 I am looking more for the old Metallica-Slayer-Testament type stuff, but hell, I could try Vai Since the Clean is so Clean, I am getting a Keeley MT2 to smack the front of that channel Jack.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I will be running it thru an older Madision 4x12 with the Celestion 85(Madison Divinity`s) watt clones in it. These speakers don`t really have any mids at all, great for the chest thumping tone. I think I will get a 2x12 to go with it with V30`s or maybe Emminence closes of said such speakers. Jack.

Comment

+1 I am looking more for the old Metallica-Slayer-Testament type stuff, but hell, I could try Vai Since the Clean is so Clean, I am getting a Keeley MT2 to smack the front of that channel Jack.
              For Metallica-Slayer-Testament you will want a later model gray carpeted X100B that is running 6L6's. You will also need to put a pedal in front of it.

Not to rain on your parade... but I would NOT choose the X100B for scooped high gain death metal or thrash.
              Its more voiced for the solo player or mid 80's hair metal.

Steve Vai used EL34's.

If you want a Carvin amp that will do Metallica-Slayer-Testament with no outboard processing at all you should be looking at the MTS3200.

Comment

I used an X100B for the majority of the 80's. I ran the clean channel most of the time with an original DS-1 in front of it. Sounde amazing with my SD Rhoads. Everything JGCable is saying is the real deal here - they are fantastic amps.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

For Metallica-Slayer-Testament you will want a later model gray carpeted X100B that is running 6L6's. You will also need to put a pedal in front of it.

Not to rain on your parade... but I would NOT choose the X100B for scooped high gain death metal or thrash.
                  Its more voiced for the solo player or mid 80's hair metal.

Steve Vai used EL34's.

If you want a Carvin amp that will do Metallica-Slayer-Testament with no outboard processing at all you should be looking at the MTS3200.
                  Ok man, I can`t stand the Carpeted ones, they are nasty looking!! Did the later ones have a gain boost or something? I know 6L6`s do the scooped thing much better than EL34`s, just trying something different. I can try the EH 6CA7`s, they have a bit more clarity and thump. If I can`t get a good tone, I will give you guys first crack at her Jack.

Comment

See, I don't want to rely on any pedals to get me the sound I want. I want it to come straight from the amp, if at all possible. I'm tired on the onstage tapdancing.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I may in the end of it all end up with a Triple XXX or Single or Dual Rec as I did love the Triple XXX I played thru!! No nead for pedals for sure. Jack.

Comment

LOL. It's funny, cause I was one of the biggest supporters of the Peavey amps, until I went back up to the same store (Hollowood), and played through the same Peavey amps. I think I have fickle ears! hehe. Oddly enough, my favorite amp in the store was this solid state Randall head. RX120DHS, I think. the effects sucked, but it pretty much nailed the tone I like.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Ok man, I can`t stand the Carpeted ones, they are nasty looking!! Did the later ones have a gain boost or something? I know 6L6`s do the scooped thing much better than EL34`s, just trying something different. I can try the EH 6CA7`s, they have a bit more clarity and thump. If I can`t get a good tone, I will give you guys first crack at her Jack.
                          Yeah, the carpeted ones have a "Hot Rod" gain boost in them. You can always remove the carpet and tolex the head cab if it bothers you that much.

My VM100 head has the carpet too, but it's black instead of gray. It doesn't really bother me because the head sounds great. It is the precursor to the MTS and to the Legacy, only made for a couple of years between the X100B and the MTS3200. It definitely doesn't need pedals!

Still, the X100B can sound real good for metal, either throwing an SD-1 onto the drive channel as a clean boost (the SD-1 takes out some bass which to me removes the flub that the drive channel tends to have) or hitting the clean channel with a good distortion like my ART Xtreme. That gives you the thrash sound in spades!

As for pedals, I used to feel I had to get an amp that didn't need pedals, and that is nice to have. But you are still going to be hitting a footswitch to go from clean to dirty, whether the drive is built in or external. I have quite a few ODs and distortions, so I have redundant backup as far as worrying about the distortion breaking down.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah, but I don't want to be having to hit TWO pedals, just to go from clean to dirty. Too much footwork, on my pedalboard, as it is.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                              Yeah, but I don't want to be having to hit TWO pedals, just to go from clean to dirty. Too much footwork, on my pedalboard, as it is.
                              I wouldn't do that; I'd usually use the Xtreme through the clean channel for my dirty sound since it was more modern-gain sounding. Then you just use the effects loop switch on the X100B for your solo boost - I think it gives you 6db boost. That was a nice feaure the X-amps had that I wish my VM100 had!
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Uh, ya lost me. "Xtreme"?

I would be running a processor through the loop, and using those effects during certain parts of songs, not just during leads, so I don't think that would be an option for me. I DO run a DS-1, up front, but only as a gain boost for solo work. Other than than, and the occassional wah, I'm straight into the fron of the amp, for my clean an dirty.
                                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                                X