B-52 Amplifiers - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-52 Amplifiers - Opinions?

I got the new Gorgoroth album yesterday, and I love the guitar tone. The guitarist endorses these amps, I would assume that the model he uses would probably be the AT-100, since all the reviews i read about it were how it's a good hard rock/metal amp. Anyone here tried them/own them? Price is a big issue for me, and since I could get one of these new for around the price of a used 5150/6506, they are very attractive.

I've heard great things about em, and my friend has one of the solid state versions which really kick ass for what they are. Very crunchy and heavy tone without being fizzy and the clean's are ok, but not the greatest. On the tube stuff that everyone's been asking about (and I assume the AT is one of them, I'm not sure) I've heard great things, but haven't tried it myself

Comment

I've got the At 100 212 combo there are clips under mp3 submissions.
      I love mine lots of balls, and sparkling cleans.
      run it thru Celestions (greenbacks) it sounds great.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I've tried to like these, but ultimately hated them. Sounded very harsh, and was damned near impossible to get a tone I liked out of it. Might be other's cup of tea, just not mine.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

They are ok for the money, we sell a lot of them at work but lately Ive been seeing people bringing them in for repairs a lot.

Comment

I had bought a used AT212, and returned it within 2 days. It was unplayable at anything above bedroom level, the noise was just unreal. I probably got a bad one though. The general consensus is that they sound good, but are not very reliable. Check out the revews on Harmony Central.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Why not just get the used 5150?
              It may be used but 5150´s are solid and good sounding amps and if you don´t like it you get all your money back when selling.
              I have NOT tried any B-52, so i have no comments on those, but the 5150 seems like a safer bet to me, even if it is used.

Comment

well I have one of each. The B-52 is definitely more versatile, but if I had to choose an amp to gig with I would between the two I probably go with the 5150 it seems sturdier to me.
                BTW you should be able to get a used 5150 combo for much cheaper than a new B-52. Actually in the GC in Boston there is a used 5150 combo for $375.00. I got mine for $500.00. The B-52 is more "Recto" sounding and the 5150 is more Marshally ,Laney sounding, more organic.
                I love being able to go back and forth, between them, gives me a good range of tones
                If you're not gigging and it's just going to sit in your house I'd go B-52(sounds great at low low volumes too big +++) , if you're gigging I'd go 5150.
                oh and on the B-52's anything with an earlier serial# than SN 101200 , stay away from, those are the ones that may have reliability issues. Anything after that number seems to be safe.
                Last edited by kmanick; 07-30-2006, 04:57 PM.

Comment

B52s are made in China. Avoid.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The JSX and 6505s are made in china too avoid those?

Comment

thanks for the input guys. i am not neccesarily against getting another 5150, i would just like to explore all of my options.

Comment

Here is the biggest point to consider....
                        Most.. if not all bands.... don't use the same amps they endorse in the recording studio. Most of them don't even use them live.
                        I've heard studio clips of a voodoo modded Fender Vibrochamp that you would swear was a wall of highly modified Marshall stacks turned up to ten after the magic of studio mixing got through with the tone.

Comment

Good point John, I guess you can never really be sure what the hell someone is using unless you're there while they'e doing the recording.

Robrr you're the 3rd person I've seen with that complaint. I think they sent some of them out with bad tubes. I crank mine on a nightly basis (thru a hot plate wide open) and I get no noise at all. the early ones had a lot of dogs but I think they got their QC under control. Mine never leaves the house either, so that's another factor, if I go to jam with someone I bring the 5150 it seems alot sturdier than the b-52.

Originally posted by jgcable
                          Here is the biggest point to consider....
                          Most.. if not all bands.... don't use the same amps they endorse in the recording studio. Most of them don't even use them live.
                          I've heard studio clips of a voodoo modded Fender Vibrochamp that you would swear was a wall of highly modified Marshall stacks turned up to ten after the magic of studio mixing got through with the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick
                            The JSX and 6505s are made in china too avoid those?
                            I'm pretty sure those are made in the USA. Peaveys cheaper amps like the Valveking are made in China. The JSX/XXX, 5150/6505 are made in the USA.

Comment

you're right the Valveking, the Bandit, and the Windsor are being made in China.
                              My bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X