JCM800 vs JCM900 cabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM800 vs JCM900 cabs

Any real difference? Going to take a road trip later this week to pick up a JCM800 slant cab with 75s - I use a 900 cab now. Going to be identical or does the 800 have anything over the 900s?

Thanks!

Pete

I used a dude's JCM 800 cab and head for a few practices with one of my bands once, cuz it was there...it seemed a little bigger than the 900 cabs Ive seen and bigger than mine (1960AV), and i could see that it was solid plywood where the tolex was torn away. All I know is that the stack sounded great, but I dont know how much can be attributed to the cab for the sound I was getting.

Comment

thanks Box! I just found out from the guy that the JCM800 has 85s in it - I may pull them and install 75s (I'm buying four 75s from him also), so I can do a better comparison between the two. One ominous development - the JCM800 cab doesn't have casters.

UGH!

Pete

Comment

This one didnt either, had a little dolly thing attached to the bottom. I have no idea what speakers were in it.

Comment

Pete my 800s had 70s in them...I had a few..they all had 70s..one was a red cab..I don't know what years they were.

all my 900 series have 75s..the 75s have more edge and more of a scooped sound to them..definitely more "edge"..

I like the 80's better than the 75s..I had a peavey cab
          loaded with them..they were a tad darker than the 75s..more bottom.

The 80s are my favorite Celestion..I love 'em..!!!

I haven't heard any 85s..I'd assume they sound great..

I heard 90's in a recto cab..I liked it..those cabs sound beefy anywhoo..even w the V30s..which I never cared for..they sound best in that cab IMO..

That peavey cab was my fave tho..I gave it to that VH dude..for installing carpeting in my place..that's what he used....I wish I still had it.
          Last edited by horns666; 07-31-2006, 03:14 AM.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The 85`s have very little mids,lots of bass and highs . I have their clones in my Madison 4x12.I would compare them to the Lead 80`s with a little less highs. Jack.

Comment

All Marshall Cabs are the same size, and have been since they started making them as a slant/straight set. I've got cabs ranging from 69 up through JCM 900, and the only differences in any of them are;

Early ones were all plywood, with metal handles, Metal caster cups, and had a 2x4 brace, smooth tolex, piping over the top, and screws with T-nuts to hold the handles and cups.

In the early 70's, they made some changes. They changed the 2x4 to a 2x2, the back to MDF (Around 72-73) changed the handles and caster cups to plastic, added corner protectors, and added the skid tray to the top of the slant cabs. Most of these changes were done by 73 or so.

In 76 they changed the tolex from Smooth Levant to the rougher Elephant style tolex, and stopped putting the piping over the top Other than cosmetic changes like grill cloth type, and changing the types of input jacks, nothing other than the speakers have changed since then.

Marshall started using the G12-65 Speakers in the late 70's early 80's, then went to G12M-70's in the early-early/mid eighties, then started using the G12T-75's they're still using now. Marshall cabs have always come with Casters, but they've had several different types. If a cab doesn't have them, they've been removed, or something. Most will still have the caster socket/feet, but they did have some cabs with casters that screwed on.

Some Marshall cabs came with 80 and 100 watt speakers, but they were different, they were model 1982 instead of the 1960. That was somewhat of a holdover from the 60's/70's when they made Bass cabs and amps. Bass cabs were generally the 1982 model, and came with G12H-30's, usually 55hz models for handling the bass. In the later 70's and 80's they kept making them, and using high wattage speakers.

Lot's of small changes were made to the cabs over the years, stuff like grillcloth, rivets instead of screws etc, but the basics of the cab itself haven't changed since 1973ish.

Comment

Originally posted by adrenaline junkie
                All Marshall Cabs are the same size, and have been since they started making them as a slant/straight set. I've got cabs ranging from 69 up through JCM 900, and the only differences in any of them are;

Early ones were all plywood, with metal handles, Metal caster cups, and had a 2x4 brace, smooth tolex, piping over the top, and screws with T-nuts to hold the handles and cups.

In the early 70's, they made some changes. They changed the 2x4 to a 2x2, the back to MDF (Around 72-73) changed the handles and caster cups to plastic, added corner protectors, and added the skid tray to the top of the slant cabs. Most of these changes were done by 73 or so.

In 76 they changed the tolex from Smooth Levant to the rougher Elephant style tolex, and stopped putting the piping over the top Other than cosmetic changes like grill cloth type, and changing the types of input jacks, nothing other than the speakers have changed since then.

Marshall started using the G12-65 Speakers in the late 70's early 80's, then went to G12M-70's in the early-early/mid eighties, then started using the G12T-75's they're still using now. Marshall cabs have always come with Casters, but they've had several different types. If a cab doesn't have them, they've been removed, or something. Most will still have the caster socket/feet, but they did have some cabs with casters that screwed on.

Some Marshall cabs came with 80 and 100 watt speakers, but they were different, they were model 1982 instead of the 1960. That was somewhat of a holdover from the 60's/70's when they made Bass cabs and amps. Bass cabs were generally the 1982 model, and came with G12H-30's, usually 55hz models for handling the bass. In the later 70's and 80's they kept making them, and using high wattage speakers.

Lot's of small changes were made to the cabs over the years, stuff like grillcloth, rivets instead of screws etc, but the basics of the cab itself haven't changed since 1973ish.
                Thank you very much for that info..I always was a bit hazy on the matter..that cleared it up a bit!!

I had umpteen JCM 800s of all models colors and years..The LOUDEST was a 50wt single channel 800, Red tolex with dark brown grill cloth..it was next to the 2210s and the Recto and 5150 when I had it..it was so loud it made your teeth hurt..maybe it was modded (it didn't appear so), it was a 50 watter..but yeesh..

I had other 50 wt Marshalls and they wern't like that!

It was the loudest amp I ever owned 'till this day..and I have a Uberschall and Marshal 9200w/5881s/JMP-1/JFX-1 into four 1960B cabs..
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I had a 2210 that I would die to have back.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better myself!
                    Thanks for the info. guy, one thing I would like to add is that Marshall still made the 4x12 Bass series cabs in the 800 series. One model was loaded with Celestion G12-65's (model # 1935A & 1935B) and another loaded with Celestion G12-80's (model # 1984A & 1984B)
                    I've alwayed prefered the 800 series cabs over the 900's because I hated the stereo switching crap on the 900's

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb
                      I had a 2210 that I would die to have back.
                      Yeah, me too - the same amp even! Who has it now? That amp's been passed around like a joint at a grateful dead show!

Pete

Comment

How do you date a Marshall cab?
                        I have a jcm800 lead-1960 cab. It has the plastic handles and the skid tray on the top. The cab is all plywood and has G12t-75 speakers in it. I would like to find out the date of this cab.

Comment

The only way you can do it very well is to get the date codes off of the speaker frames, then to here and see what year it is.

http://professional.celestion.com/gu...ibel/index.asp
                          Last edited by adrenaline junkie; 08-03-2006, 08:28 AM.

Comment

The only way you can do it very well is to get the date codes off of the speaker frames, then to here and see what year it is.

http://professional.celestion.com/gu...ibel/index.asp
                            Hey,
                            Thanks for the link. I cant make out the date on the speaker. Can you send me your e mail so I can send you a PIC of the speaker. Maybe you can check it for me. Thanks Paul [email protected]

Comment

Great information guys Thanks!
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X