Need advice on D/A converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on D/A converter

I want to use the digital outs on my Delta 1010 for monitor sends. I know I need some kind of digital to analog converter, but what? My web searches have done nothing but confuse me. I'm picturing a simple little box that has digital inputs and analog outputs, but I'm getting the feeling it's a little more complicated than this. Help?
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Most of the better ones seem kinda expensive... have you thought about just getting new monitors with digital inputs?

Pete

Comment

avoid the roland digital speakers, they're shit. unfortunately, they're the only digital monitors i know of, and you need a roland mixer/multitrack with effects to make them work. as for the convertor, depends on your budget.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Genelec makes digital input speakers as well, but they're not cheap.

As to the original question, it's about that simple... a box that has digital inputs and analog outputs. The problem is that it's not cheap. If you are on a limited budget, try to find a used Apogee Rosetta. Do not go for the Rosetta 24/96 or the Rosetta 200 or 800 as those are all in the thousands of dollars (but awesome units it you have the coin).

Assuming that you're just doing 24bit/48khz recording any of the older D/A boxes will do the trick - just watch ebay.
        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Great info guys, thanks a bunch!

Comment

the delta 1010 has D-A outs. each output converts back to analogue except the SPDIF
            just send 2 balanced 1/4 to your monitors or to a mixer.

unless you just want higher quality D-A conversion.
            Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 08-01-2006, 09:41 AM.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel
              the delta 1010 has D-A outs. each output converts back to analogue except the SPDIF
              just send 2 balanced 1/4 to your monitors or to a mixer.

unless you just want higher quality D-A conversion.
              Yes, it's the SPDIF channels I want to convert to analog. I already have all 8 ins and outs ran through the channel inserts on the mixer (so I can use the pres in the mixer). If I can use channels 9 & 10 (SPDIF) for monitor outs only, that would free up the 8 main channels for recording only.

Comment

Ask and you shall receive....

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...gCow-main.html

-Nate
                Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by nateb
                  Ask and you shall receive....

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...gCow-main.html

-Nate
                  Yes, I've seen that one, but I thought it only converted analog to digital. Their description does say A/D and D/A but if you look at the front panel, it looks like it's geared toward A/D only. I guess I need to call them and ask some questions. Thanks Nate.

Comment

Working...
                  X