No announcement yet.

finally joining the tube family... 5150 content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GOOD EXAMPLE..I have a Uberschall..I "get by" just peachy running it with a Marshall 1960A cab..

I been told by very credible, above mentioned sources ..that My Uber would sound BETTER with the matching Uberkab..

I must take their word for it at this time..I'm sure they're right..

No Uberkabs anywhere around here..when I find one..I'll buy it!!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Another questions for you 5150'ers..

Can I use my POD XTL as a noisegate, tuner, and volume (and maybe some other misc. effects) without sucking the life out of the tone too much? There has to be SOME way I can use the pod in conjuction with the 5150.

A friend of mine uses one in front of a Mesa DR and he claims to have no problem with it..
      Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
      The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Originally posted by Thor Von Clemson
        Another questions for you 5150'ers..

Can I use my POD XTL as a noisegate, tuner, and volume (and maybe some other misc. effects) without sucking the life out of the tone too much? There has to be SOME way I can use the pod in conjuction with the 5150.

A friend of mine uses one in front of a Mesa DR and he claims to have no problem with it..
        hmmmm...give it a shot. That I don't know... I was always leary of throwing a preamp/ distortion/ overdrive device into a loop of such an amp..but if you can bypass that and just use the noise gate/tuner..that would be cool..maybe someone could answer that a little better with experience on that issue.

I personally recommend the G-Major for the dough..it has one hell of a noise gate and a cool tuner..along with great FX..pretty damn transparent!

John G or Siggy may know better than I on that one.
        Last edited by horns666; 08-09-2006, 03:14 PM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
          I have five mint Marshall cabs sitting right here..why...why...now why would I be SO damned convinced on the matching 5150 cab..??????

Because they're Marshall cabs - made partly of plywood, with shit speakers in them.

Try a 5150 through a Mesa (properly broken in, traditional sized), VHT, or Bogner w/V30's, and tell me the 5150 cab is better.

Comment

I learned whenever you use the term "HATE" when referring to a particulair amp..some folks will take that as a personal insult....well one man's gold is one man's treasure I guess. That's understandable.

It's not a attack..it's nothing but a personal opinion of an amp..not on the person..

I "HATE" rectos/DSLs..that flamed quite a few..I bought them brand new upon their debut. I paid good money for them obviously..therefore I really wanted to like them..we just didn't get along...I had both for months..tweaking and F'ing with them for hours on end...tying all kinds of crap and cab variations.

My favorite player Jeff Loomis never sounded better than with his recto..works for him!!

I heard players much better than I smoke with a DSL...so whatever works.

Which brings me to another point about soundclips..Andy Sneap makes a Krank sound god-like..it's no secret that they are not that popular amoung those here who played them..I haven't read one good review on this board on a Krank..

I heard Jeff on the last tour and it was the muddiest I ever heard him..I seen him with every set up he ever had..including a POD pro..

So again..there ya go..you can't rely on sounclips..a soundclip will give ya some sort of idea what a amp can do..but to really know what it will do for YOU..you must be in the driver's seat ...guitar in hand with the speakers in your face!!!

I bought my Uber on "Thingman's" sound clips alone..I read nothing but praise about the Uber..I went to the Bogner site and wasn't too impressed with any of the sounclips there..I drove 2.5 hours away and played one myself..end of story.

The Uber's EQ layout looks simple..but those controls are pretty damn active..they go from one extreme to the other..I wasn't all that happy with mine intially..took some time dailing it in over a drummer for months..Now you couldn't pry that head out of my dead hands..

It's all EL34..Oh yeah, I wanted to convert it to KT88's, 6550's, 6Ls..whatever...

Not anymore..I don't want to change a thing..and the Uber is made for down tuning..all my guitars are in D..including my Wolfgang w/D-tuna..my next guitar will be a 7 string...still searchin' for the right one.

Ask Cleveland John..he was here last week, when I was jammin' with my son..I have the gain MAXED..and it couldn't sound tighter..in fact John backed it off and tad and put it right back..we both agreed it sounds best that way!!!

When I used to play with John and his CAE/VHT 2150 ..it was battle of the midrange..trying to find our G-spots..it was then I discovered that "Honk"..that's not the case now!

To me a 5150 is like a poor man's Uber..that's how I see it..it has it's own voice..but whatever a 5150 can do..the Uber does it better..after owning and dry humping both for years.

Ummm there is no comparison..The Uber is ''FLUBLESS"..a 5150 can and will flub when ya really push it, especially the in gain/resonance area..not the Uby!!!

Am I still being a dick..???

I'm just being honest..but that's a "dick" to some...

If I didn't have the Uber..then I would have a 5150..with Matching cab...BBE 422 in the loop!!

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3
              Because they're Marshall cabs - made partly of plywood, with shit speakers in them.

Try a 5150 through a Mesa (properly broken in, traditional sized), VHT, or Bogner w/V30's, and tell me the 5150 cab is better.
              Dude why are you getting so uptight man..:ROTF:

it's just our opinion on 5150 tone..it's not like I banged your chick..

Mink Ya..

You keep actin' like this..I'm coming over there..is your girl around...may as well..with this treatment??

YOU started it with ..these are the same guys with the BBE 422s and yada yada wahh wahh...whhhatever..

Dude you sound GOOD with your shit..I said that like three times now..what??!!

Comment

not takin' sides here but I don't think Bill came across as a dick at all....he's basically telling ya:

whatever floats your boat dude...but he owned a lot of 5150's and played them extensively.

we all know tone is subjective.

peace,

Rune.

Comment

what my eyes are witnessing? Bill is actually acting like a gentelman right now.

Billy where did you learned to behave like that,

I want old Bill back

sit Billy, bark Billy, now act like a dick
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

OK...later DSS3 dude..

We're gonna eat some spaghetti w / sausage and meatballs now!!

We got a lot..if you want..your welcome to come over with your rig and we'll jam..it'll prolly be pretty good..

Then you'll see I'm not such a DICK afterall..

Comment

I'm sorry E..

Well I gave props to DSS3 because he showed he can sound good via his clips..

If he sucked ass..he'd have nothing coming..but I give props when due..

So, I will give him the benefit of a doubt..very unlike my nature ..and hopefully..he will do same..

I really don't care one way or the other..it's all silly BS anywhoo..

If your gonna get "mad"..make it for a good reason..

I did that before a long time ago with good guys here..like Siggy..that was stupid of me. That was before I knew he is a pretty credible amp dude..in hindsight, that was just plain dumb.

Nah, there is much better reasons to want to kick someon's ass or call ass on someone..

I do like kicking ass tho..I do it very well..it's fun..but I reserve that enegry on those who truly deserve it!!

Like I said..You got DSS3's's recipe and you got mine..try both or get your own..that's all..

whatever works for you..

Bill Z Bub

Comment

I tried my 5150 with the XTL last night.

First off, I must say that this amp needs to be played loud to really hear what it can do. I had the volume around 2 and it was ok but when I turned it up to 3-ish it really comes alive. I think 3-4 is rehearsal volume so I should be ok.

Second, the XTL works pretty well. I ran it from the output of the xtl to the front of the amp and plugged into the xtl. I turned all the amp and cab models off and dialed in a good noisegate and tubescreamer for the disortions. I had a pretty good tone dialed in to my amp so I did not have to do much with that. The tubescreamer really gave it a nice boost and the noisegate kills nearly all excessive noise so I was pretty happy with it. I plugged directly into the 5150 to see if it did anything to the tone and it was nearly identical to when I ran my xtl in front. I messed with the different eq's on the xtl and came up with some pretty good patches to accent the 5150's tone without killing it or making it sound processed.

The clean channel was a little more tricky. Since the 5150 has a shared eq I did not want to mess with the amps controls too much. I had a few existing clean patches that I loved so I figured turning the amp and cab sims of and tweaking the existing fx might work pretty well. I had to mess with the eq on the pod a lot to get rid of the harsh highs and I came up with a tolerable clean channel that I can use. I admit, it is not as nice as I would like it to be but I expected that when bought a 5150. The clean is good enough.

I will be ordering another cab and I am hoping that will add a little punch to the tone.
                        Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                        The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I'd like to apologize to Bill for comming accross as angry - I'm a very dry, direct person, most of what I say is made of up rhetoric and tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, and that can create some weird vibes over the net, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                            hmmmm...give it a shot. That I don't know... I was always leary of throwing a preamp/ distortion/ overdrive device into a loop of such an amp..but if you can bypass that and just use the noise gate/tuner..that would be cool..maybe someone could answer that a little better with experience on that issue.

I personally recommend the G-Major for the dough..it has one hell of a noise gate and a cool tuner..along with great FX..pretty damn transparent!

John G or Siggy may know better than I on that one.
                            I think the XTL tone sucks for sure in your application. For what you are looking for you should be looking at the G-Major.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3
                              I'd like to apologize to Bill for comming accross as angry - I'm a very dry, direct person, most of what I say is made of up rhetoric and tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, and that can create some weird vibes over the net, you know?
                              It's cool..you sound good..

Comment

Working...
                              X