bought a gi-normous poweramp last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought a gi-normous poweramp last night

I bought a Peavey 120/120 in rack case that was a demo at a music store. Dragged it home (literally, holy cow it's heavy!) and ran my GT-8 into it in stereo.

*!*

This setup sounds better than my Vetta did, and sounds nearly as good as my tube amps (JSX, RM100). I said 'nearly' because it is missing a tiny bit, and the feel isn't exactly right. I'm picking up another cab tonight, if I get home in time I'm going to run the setup in stereo with two cabs. Should be massive. I'm also going to probably get (when $ allows) a JMP1 - I want to chase the tone Bill's Virtual Halen guitarist had.

Pete

Heaviest power amp I ever owed was a Kasha KJ-150. Had four 6550's and doubled as a boat anchor!! LOL!!

Not suprised that you found the Peavey as a demo, lots of Peavey dealers in Tulsa. I always hit the pawn shops first before the music stores when I'm looking for gear when I'm in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan
      Heaviest power amp I ever owed was a Kasha KJ-150. Had four 6550's and doubled as a boat anchor!! LOL!!

Not suprised that you found the Peavey as a demo, lots of Peavey dealers in Tulsa. I always hit the pawn shops first before the music stores when I'm looking for gear when I'm in that area.
      I got a pawn shop price for it. If you ever played through the rack at music sound world, it was the power amp running it off to the right of the guitar room. I never saw that thing past about 2 on the masters... I'll probably need to change out the tubes, when I get a chance I'm going to put them in my tester and see what they read.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
        This setup sounds better than my Vetta did, and sounds nearly as good as my tube amps (JSX, RM100).
        Interesting. Any chance you'll be recording some clips of this setup? I thought the direct recorded Van Halen clip had the same flat sound I've always heard from COSM stuff. It sounded decent, but IMO didn't kick the Vetta's ass.
        This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by petedz
          Interesting. Any chance you'll be recording some clips of this setup? I thought the direct recorded Van Halen clip had the same flat sound I've always heard from COSM stuff. It sounded decent, but IMO didn't kick the Vetta's ass.
          Yeah, when all the dust settles... my rig has gone through more changes than Yngwie has gone through singers! Remember too that I owned a Vetta for 2 years and knew most of the tweaks - I'm still learning the GT8. That clip was after owning it less than 48 hours.

Pete

Comment

I ran a GT-6 with a Peavey 60/60 for a few years. I always thought it sounded fantastic. I can imagine how good the GT8 sounds.

Comment

Those are great poweramps.. for the money they can't be beat...as heavy as a wheelbarrow full of bricks tho. Need a tote rack with wheels.

Comment

Pete..Pair that with a JMP-1..We KNOW that sound!!

That fugger is heavy huh...
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Wait till retube time comes... omg...

Love those things tho...

What echo was tony using bill? not that multivox tape unit still was it?

Comment

Tony just used those old half space Boss rack crap..nothing special..Micro Boss I think..

His sound was that poweramp and the JMP-1.

well until he bought that valvestate poweramp..because he didn't want to carry the Peavey anymore..it went from feeling him and hearing him loud and clear to..total non-exist..oh man did that suck!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal
                      Wait till retube time comes... omg...

Love those things tho...

What echo was tony using bill? not that multivox tape unit still was it?
                      I may just run it with 2 tubes on each side. I don't need the volume/headroom, but I'd rather run a 100 watt amp with two tubes than a 50 watt amp. 100 watt amps tend to have beefier output transformers and they tighten up a little bit more when they run 1/2 as many output tubes as long as you aren't pushing them really hard.

I also have a pair of yellowjackets (the 6L6/EL34 converters that allow you to run EL84s with an amp) that I may put in one half of the amp. I still like my modelling stuff, but changing tubes out kinda reminds me of working on cars.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                        Pete..Pair that with a JMP-1..We KNOW that sound!!

That fugger is heavy huh...
                        Yup! Thanks again for letting me know about this thing, otherwise I might have passed it up. No, it's not a VHT, but I'm happy about the price/performance ratio.

Next up, when my wallet recovers from my gear binges lately (within the last month, bought the Randall RM100, 5 modules for it, 2 4x12s, the Peavey 120/120, a Mosvalve 962 power amp, Boss GT8, a Gmajor, FCB1010) it's going to be JMP1 time. Or Rocktron pirahna. Or maybe even the RM4 (rackmount randall) and then sell the RM100.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
                          I got a pawn shop price for it. If you ever played through the rack at music sound world, it was the power amp running it off to the right of the guitar room. I never saw that thing past about 2 on the masters... I'll probably need to change out the tubes, when I get a chance I'm going to put them in my tester and see what they read.

Pete
                          Ahhh Yes!!, Music Sound World!...Got many a good deal and bad there from Randy when I was a kid!
                          Picked up a Lee Jackson Perfect connection guitar pre amp from the rack there a few years ago when I was on vacation in Tulsa visiting the parents.
                          Out of all the deals I got there the best had to of been the dead mint original Ibanez TS-808 I bought in`93 for $35.00!!
                          Yes!!, you heard right!, a dead mint original TS-808 for $35.00!!!

Comment

Pete, let me know what you want for the RM100? I was looking to buy a new one in the next week.

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan
                              Ahhh Yes!!, Music Sound World!...Got many a good deal and bad there from Randy when I was a kid!
                              Picked up a Lee Jackson Perfect connection guitar pre amp from the rack there a few years ago when I was on vacation in Tulsa visiting the parents.
                              Out of all the deals I got there the best had to of been the dead mint original Ibanez TS-808 I bought in`93 for $35.00!!
                              Yes!!, you heard right!, a dead mint original TS-808 for $35.00!!!
                              Randy's the dude I deal with there. My friends and I used to joke about paul mccartney being his dad! I've bought gear there since '86 or so. Guitar Center is kicking their ass, but MSW is still a good place to go.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X