Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing speakers in one cab vs. multiple cabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing speakers in one cab vs. multiple cabs?

I've just about finished my studio rack rig. I am just shopping around for an affordable used rack case and waiting for that new Behringer rack tuner to become available before it's completed. The current setup is as follows:

"Side 1"
    ART DST-4 preamp/processor
    ART Tube Channel parametric EQ/mic pre/compressor
    Rocktron Guitar Silencer

"Side 2"
    ADA MP-1 w\ 3.666 mod
    Rocktron Multivalve processor

Carvin T100 stereo power amp

The DST-4 and Multivalve have cab sims, which is fine for PC recording, but I'm kicking around different cab ideas. I have a Peavey 2x12 with Sheffields, an older Peavey 2x12 with Ram speakers (bleah), and my Jackson Apogee 50 combo with two Celestions V30s. That provides me with a lot of speaker options, but I'm very limited on physical space. I've been considering an upright 2x12 cab, or maybe two 1x12s. Is there any disadvantage to using a smaller cab? It seems to me that I could get better separation by miking two cabs instead of two different speaker types in one cab, but some people will argue that a smaller cab has less resonance. Additionally, I would think that it would be fairly easy to build a simple isolation box for a small cab, if necessary.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to take advantage of having two preamps without dragging big cabs into an already cramped room. Suggestions? Opinions one way or the other?
    sigpic

i know this might not have much to do with your direct question, but if you're using this stuff in the studio, why not just get one cab, track your guitar stuff thru one of the rigs thru a 4x12, then go back and reamp or double track with the other rig thru the same cabinet?

Comment

It's not that I'm opposed to that idea at all. I'm curious more than anything else. Maximum versatility with the smallest footprint, I guess...
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X