• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSX wins

A/B'd the following amps:

JSX
    Randall RM100
    GT8 through Peavey 120/120 tube power amp in stereo

...and I liked em in the same order. I'm starting to think I'm just not an RM100 guy... it's a killer idea, wonderful execution, but my JSX just sounds 'right' to me.

What I'm probably going to do is run the following for live use:

Guitar - JSX (GT8 effects, 4 cable method)
    left channel - JSX + JCM900 75 loaded cab
    right channel - Peavey 120/120 poweramp (mono) + JCM800 85 loaded cab

In smaller clubs I'll run mono: We have a big enough trailer for gear that I can leave the extra cab and amp in there.

Pete

Good choice, Pete.

Having owned both, I think that the JSX sounds much better and is better built than the Randall.

I still can't get over how good the taper is on the master volume of the JSX. Great amp for lower volume playing.

Now, if only they could make it about 30 pounds lighter.

Comment

A friend of mine brought over an MTS combo for me to play with. He had the recto module and the blackface module, both had been modded with whatever hip capacitor mod everyone is doing these days. I really liked that amp, but for pure distorted tone...my Witchdoctor VibroChamp murdered it.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

is the JSX have a parallel or series FX loop?
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

JSX is series. I tried both loops on the Randall - it has a series and a parallel, both are tube driven... the Randall has so many cool features, but the bottom line is that I just dig the overall tone of the JSX. Either are good amps, and I can see how someone might prefer the Randall. I'm just really glad I kept the JSX!

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by fritzreiser
            Good choice, Pete.

Having owned both, I think that the JSX sounds much better and is better built than the Randall.

I still can't get over how good the taper is on the master volume of the JSX. Great amp for lower volume playing.

Now, if only they could make it about 30 pounds lighter.
            LOL Fritz, I hear you there... the Randall weighs MORE than the JSX does, I think. I'm going for the heaviest rig in history... if I use the JSX and that Peavey 120/120 live, that's probably 140 or so pounds just in amplification.

Pete
            BTW, your amp is coming along, sorry I haven't been keeping you updated on it. It weighs about 1/4 as much as the JSX... If the JSX weighed as much as your 18 watt is going to, my back wouldn't hurt so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
              A friend of mine brought over an MTS combo for me to play with. He had the recto module and the blackface module, both had been modded with whatever hip capacitor mod everyone is doing these days. I really liked that amp, but for pure distorted tone...my Witchdoctor VibroChamp murdered it.

Mike
              I had a witchdoctor champ too - awesome tones. Have you plugged it into a 4x12 yet?

Pete

Comment

Cool that you figured out your rig - at least for the next month

one question, how close is the JSX to the XXX? I really hated the sound of the XXX and was wondering how they compare.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
                  Cool that you figured out your rig - at least for the next month

one question, how close is the JSX to the XXX? I really hated the sound of the XXX and was wondering how they compare.
                  +1, I'd like to know too. I had a XXX 40 watt combo with the FX, and I didn't like anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
                    I had a witchdoctor champ too - awesome tones. Have you plugged it into a 4x12 yet?

Pete
                    No, I am running it into a 2x12 Avatar cab right now. I would love to try it into a 4x12 though.

Mike
                    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Guys - I didn't like the XXX at all. I checked one out when they first were released, and thought the Ultra crapped all over it. I recently checked out a XXX again, and it was ok... but nothing I'd want to own.

The XXX had this awful grain to it and a 'recto wannabe' vibe that I didn't like. Way too much gain, and just didn't do much for me. My JSX has 6L6 power tubes, which makes a huge difference IMHO - stock they come with EL34s, and the clean channel on the JSX gets a lot better with the 6L6s, plus you get a tighter low end, cleaner highs and a slight scooping of the midrange. The EL34s have an ugly spike to my ear, running 6L6s fixes that.

Pete

Comment

XXX sounded like a solid state amp and I'm not the only one who thinks that way.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                          XXX sounded like a solid state amp and I'm not the only one who thinks that way.
                          Yeah but you think a Mark IV sounds good
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Bwahahaha... hehe...

Comment

My Cuz is a Peavey dealer...think I may have to test drive one..I'm sure I'd like it!

That's cool Pete..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X