VHT 2/90/2 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT 2/90/2 problem

OK, the plan was to relpace my Marshall head with the Randall RM4 > G-Major > EQ > VHT (all rack)but problems have made me second guess if I should continue on this path or find a pedal that will give me the distortion I crave. My Marshall (JCM 2000 TSL 100) is lacking in distortion imo. Also I was wanting to go a stereo route more then a rack route and the Marshall head has no loop/outputs for this. I have all of the above with the exception of the RM4.

So here is whats going on with the VHT. I ran an old digitech RP12 > G-Major > EQ > into the VHT and all is good until about a minute goes by, then the amp starts to make a popping sound that isnt affected by adjusting any of the knobs/buttons. It does stop popping if I turn off channel A (still pops with channel b off) or set it to "low power" . You can here a clicking sound coming from the tubes area at the same time the pop comes out of the speakers. It starts getting faster as time goes by until it gets to about a pop every 2 seconds. I can disconect everything from the amp including speakers and it will still make this clicking noise. Also, I let it cool down, disconnect everything, power back up, and it will still click when you power it up but doesnt click again for about a minute but gradually gets faster (doing the same as mentioned above). So I guess I have to send it back which is where I start thinking, maybe I should just get the RM100 (non rack) instead of trying to go the stereo route utilizing the G-Major. It just erks me that these tube heads don't have a stereo out/loop unless you go rack. I don't like the vetta so you can forget that. What would you do? Sorry for the long post
    Last edited by z1n; 08-08-2006, 08:39 AM.

I've never had trouble with mine but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to contact VHT. I've had Steve Fryette personally answer emails in about a week.

Comment

Send it or take it back, the popping could blow speakers and the amp has problems.

Comment

I hope you didn't turn it off standby with the speakers disconnected? That is a big no no with tube amps. You always need a load attached. Have you changed any tubes yet?
        We must!
        We must!
        We must increase the bust!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!
        The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina
          I've never had trouble with mine but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to contact VHT. I've had Steve Fryette personally answer emails in about a week.
          +1 do that...

How old are the tubes?

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1
            I hope you didn't turn it off standby with the speakers disconnected? That is a big no no with tube amps. You always need a load attached. Have you changed any tubes yet?
            No I didn't take it out of standby. I always had speakers connected while the amp was on and no I havent changed the tubes.

I just got the amp yesterday. I played on it with the volume halfway for about 5 minutes right after I hooked it up yesterday and never noticed any problems. Then early this morning I was playing on it with the volume down and it started this clicking. I have some tubes in my Marshall that are stock but I don't really know what I can and can't do as far as swapping/inter changing them. I figure if they are the same numbers I could Use the tubes in my Marshall to test with.

Comment

You cant interchange tubes with your marshall, the VHT uses KT88's, or 6550's ,the big tubes, if you only hear it on one channel you can swap the tubes from one channel to the other, if the problem also changes channels, it's more than likely tubes.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes
                You cant interchange tubes with your marshall, the VHT uses KT88's, or 6550's ,the big tubes, if you only hear it on one channel you can swap the tubes from one channel to the other, if the problem also changes channels, it's more than likely tubes.
                Thanks for your help. I'll try moving the tubes.

Comment

It could have bad filter caps. I knew they had a recall on some vht products awhile back because of faulty capacitors. I had a 2/90/2 smoke and die because a tube arced (caused from shipping or bad handling on musician's friend part) and fried out the fuse sockets when I was using a g-major. I had Steve troubleshoot it. I would send it back and get it replaced.

Comment

If it is just affecting the A channel move all the tubes from that channel to the B channel and see if the problem follows the tubes. I wouldn't start swapping in new tubes that aren't biased to the amp just yet. If it stays on the A channel send it back. If it follows the tubes just let them know and I'm sure they'll send you a new set. I'm amazed a lot of tubes make it through shipping the way some of those shipping fucks treat them.
                    We must!
                    We must!
                    We must increase the bust!
                    The bigger the better!
                    The tighter the sweater!
                    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Thanks for everyones help.
                      I decided to send it back to MF instead of opening it up and messing with the tubes. I didn't want them blaming me for deffective equipment. The popping noise would stop when I put channel A in standby but continued when B was in standby and A was on. Also when it was popping, it would come out of all speakers not just one channel (was setup in stereo) Anyway thanks again for everyones help. The wait continues!

50!

Comment

Working...
                      X