Wireless systems ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless systems ???

Okay, being somewhat resistant to change, I have never had the slightest interest in wireless systems, but lately I have found that since I am doing a lot more backing vocals, and find that I'm getting distracted a lot by my guitar chord. I've been getting it hung up on my mic stand and whatnot because I like to move around a lot.

So, I have decided that maybe it's time to look into a wireless system. I saw this one on Ebay, and it seems to be a lot cheaper than what I remember them being years ago. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330016736229

Is it any good?

What should I be looking for in a system?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

I'd definitely get a UHF system, and I have noticed that the more you spend, the better quality the signal is gonna be...I recommend that most people buy a wireless thats around $400 or so...Sennheiser ones in that price range are good. Most of the time, if you have a cheap wireless youre just better off with a good cable....

Comment

Wireless are great and the more you spend, you'll get a better quality signal. Plus, you'll have multi-channels which is important if someone else in your band goes wireless. We ran into a problem where this place we were playing at had multiple stages w/multiple bands. Our singer's wireless kept on picking up signals from other wireless systems. Since her's was only 1 channel, she could not use it. My Sennheiser has 4 channels which would allow me switch to a different channels. The upper priced system have 100's of channels and the system will automatically detect an open channel with the strongest signal.

The one you found is cheap and will probally work fine in your basement but, for a gigging musician, I get something more road worthy...(rack mountable too).

joe...
      www.godwentpunk.com
      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

I'm the anti-wireless. I've used about 4 units - from a simple Nady101 in 1988 to an Audio-Technica UHF true diversity in 2004. I used to jam with the low-tech Nady101 on my college campus outside of my dorm hall. Reception went through cinder block room, brick building, trees, 100 ft? It would barely make a fuss.

All the recent units I've demo'd in the $500 and under range have all sucked. I think affordable wireless guitar technology can't overcome the radio interference in the air today. In 1988 we didn't have widespread use of cellphones, WiFi, 802.xx, Bluetooth, blah blah blah. If I went back to my campus, I doubt a laptop could communicate with an AP in my old room like the Nady101 did in 1988. Actually, low-power Bluetooth (30-ft) would be perfect for short range (small club/stage) guitar to amp system. I wonder when someone will make this?

I gave it all up years ago and invested in a $100 Zaolla silvercore cable. I don't need to wander more than 20 ft from my amp because I'm usually doing something I wouldn't want my wife to see. ..and untwirling my cord is now part of our show the fans look forward to.

Comment

i like not tripping over my lead guitarists', bass players', or my cable when i'm running around on stage.

i personally use the sennheiser evolution ew172 unit and like it alot.

i like the fact that i can go to their website and print out local TV stations' signal charts for each state. so i can know if i'm going to have to change my frequency or not dependant on where i'm playing.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Ive got a Samson VLX True Diversity model that I bought in the late 90's for around $100 or so. RF reception I believe. It works pretty good, range is great and it really doesent suck much tone at all. If I ever start gigging Im not gonna hesitate to use it unless it gives me problems.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84
              I'd definitely get a UHF system, and I have noticed that the more you spend, the better quality the signal is gonna be...I recommend that most people buy a wireless thats around $400 or so...Sennheiser ones in that price range are good. Most of the time, if you have a cheap wireless youre just better off with a good cable....
              I have used a cheaper (was around $400) Sennheiser with great success. My only gripe is that the cheap-ass cable from the transmitter pack to my guitar goofed up on the 1/4" end, and I had to cut and solder a new one on at a gig a few months ago. Other than that, no complaints!

Pete

Comment

I use a Sennheiser EW 172 G2. Works great, never has cut out on me. Little bit on the pricey side, but it works absolutely great... My bandmate has a $199 guitar center special and it cuts out whenever he's more than 15 feet from his amp.

Comment

Hey catzodellamarina, what dealer are you getting the Zaolla cable through? I checked out their stuff at NAMM last year and I'd like to get their speaker cable as well as guitar cable. Not looking forward to the price but the tone was righteous

Rudy
                  www.wickedrocks.com
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Wireless rule. You cut out your risk of shock from shitty electricals in places you play. You NEED a wireless for that reason.................

Comment

Im using the AKG WMS400 guitar set (SR400 receiver and PT400 belt pack transmitter)
                      faultless, excellent range/signal quality, and comes with rack mounting kit.

superb UHF wireless
                      My music:
                      www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

I have a Nady True Diversity UHF wireless that I bought pretty cheap (150 bucks IIRC). The signal quality is excellent, I use it pretty much at every gig and it's never let me down yet. The downside is that the reciever is slightly flimsy and it's a set frequency unit, unlike the higher end ones. Still a good buy for the cash and I would recommend it if you are gigging frequently, not on a serious tour though.
                        Last edited by levantin; 08-11-2006, 07:03 AM.
                        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I got the Zaolla from www.penningtonsguitarshop.com
                          The signal difference with the Zaolla is noticable. I now keep my Planet Waves cable at home with my practice amp.

I mentioned Bluetooth technology and guitar wireless to an industry tech today. I think I started something. I heard a hamster wheel begin to spin. Remember you heard it here first.

Comment

I just got a 20' Planet Waves "circuit breaker" cable and it's very nice. I guess how "big" or "fancy" you want to go depends on your intended use. For me, the bar gigs we are doing limits me to about 10 feet of room anyway, so I really don't need a wireless. I have been told the UHF is better than VHF, though.

Comment

I have mainly George L's on most of my pedal board just due to ease of use and fitting their right angle ends in tight spaces. I want to slowly switch over to Zaolla starting with the guitar cable and head to cabinet speaker cable. I heard the Zaolla stuff first hand at NAMM and it really is awesome stuff. Its going to get expensive though as I need to do the cables mentioned above in addition to others going out to my acoustic amp and guitar synth plus the pedal board. I will check out penningtonsguitarshop, thanks!

Rudy
                              www.wickedrocks.com
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X