Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypassing input/preamp?

Hey,
    On a continuing search for different sounds I'm interested in running my v-amp pro through my marshall valvestate 8240. The effects loop even on max wet has some dry signal popping through. Mixing clean and distorted sounds weird. Would it be possible to safely run into the v-amps input, into the amp via the effects loop return? Being SS (the 12ax7 is used in the boost/dirty channel only) it wouldnt need a load would it? And just use the marshalls poweramp/speakers with the v-amp as pre.

Cheers

you should be able to.

if the loop has any options, make sure its set for line level. we've been doing this with the fender roc pro1000 with excellent results.

this should bypass any tone controls and only the volume and/or effects mix control should be operational. (depending on how the amp is set up.)

i have never done this with the valvestate but it should work like every other amp.

NOTE: 1.parallel effects loops do not sound good with this setup. 2.the cab/mic modeling should be turned off with this setup.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yes, it'll work no problem. I've got an 8240, bought it new in the early to mid '90s... it's still going strong, using it as my living room rig. I'm running my GT-8 in stereo into it with excellent results. Gotta love the stereo loop on the 8240! And like DR mentioned, only the volume and effects level control will work on the amp while running like this, since nothing is being plugged into the input of the amp.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I ran my V-Amp Pro into the return of my Peavey Studio Pro 112 and it worked great. Guitar into the input of the V-Amp. The only thing you really end up using from the amp is the power section and the speaker. You control everything else from the V-Amp.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I do this on a 3203 with a pod. I assume your modeller has an output level adjustment. On the 3203 coming into the effects return bypasses all the tone and volume controls as well. I used a rane PE15 EQ for tone and volume adjustment so I could keep the pods output up high. I read that keeping the pods output high maximizes its dynamic range.

Comment

thanks for the reply's guys

Sounds a goer. I've revently moved the amp closer to my pc/v-amp so now I can run them both together, controlling the vamp with the pc.

thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X