rack-mount modeling pres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rack-mount modeling pres?

Anybody have experience with rack-mountable modeling pres?? I have a solid-state power amp lying around unused and have considered putting a second rig together around it.

I've seen the Pod XT Pro, but never tried it. Anyone have experience with it?

I've tried the SansAmp rack unit, didn't like it.

Are there any others I should look at? Is there a Boss GT-8 rack mountable equivalent?

Has to be MIDI!

I believe the Boss GT Pro is the rack mount equivalent of the GT8.
    I'd like to try one, because everyone seems to really love the GT8. I had an XT Pro for a short bit, but I didn't like it. I sold it, and got a V-Amp Pro (and had lots of cash left over for other gear!) I like the V-Amp Pro so much I'm keeping it. It's almost scary cheap for the sounds you get, lots of bang for the buck.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. That V-Amp pro sure is cheap, but the specs look pretty good. Is there a catch?! I find it almost "too good to be true"!

Comment

Try a Rocktron Voodu Valve.........

Comment

I guess one other issue is if these are suitable for live use... for example if there's a big patch switch lag. That would be a deal breaker for me. Has anyone tried the GT-pro?
          Last edited by Bert; 08-12-2006, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2
            Try a Rocktron Voodu Valve.........
            I've tried one. In fact my "main" rig is a Rocktron Piranha + Rocktron Xpression, which is similar, but (imo) even better.

to complement this I'm looking at modeling units that can do live + direct recording. The compensated/recording outputs in the Rocktron stuff are not very good -- they don't really model anything but just seem to roll off the high end a bit.

Comment

I've heard comments about delayed patch switching with the V-Amp Pro, and if I remember correctly it has something to do with the cab sims (which you wouldn't use when running through a cab live anyways).

Comment

DIGITECH 2120!!!!!!

Moshwitz (aka the coolest) will me back me up on this.
                www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

Digitech, 2101 studio tube!
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I don't really consider the digitch unit modeling pres .. aren't they a typical low-voltage 12ax7 based preamp with digital effects? Do they sound good direct?

Comment

I have the GT-Pro, i have mixed feelings about it

When used with the Line/Phones output setting into my 24 track - stunning, just incredible

When used with the Stack Amp Output (or any output setting that turns off the speaker simulation) setting into my gigging rig EL34 100/100 and 1960A - utter wank (i have to point out here that i use a Rocktron Prophesy in my live rig and the GT-Pro just CANNOT compete with it at all)

So depending on how you want to use the GT-Pro it'll either seriously impress or seriously dissapoint, it does both for me. But its a winner for me for the recording scenario.
                      My music:
                      www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

I've used the Oberheim GM-1000 ..which in its day (intro '97) was a very top line 'modeler' pre. By todays standards.. it probably lacks but it had some great sounds which are quite editable and it doesn't require updating, extra packs etc. There is a slight lag also between switching but it isn't unuseable IMO live.

I've also been using the Boss GS-10..again..quite affordable. This too is an ok unit. It has some very cool features and effects. If you spend some time to edit the patches.. there are some very useable tones out of it.

Comment

V-amp Pro user here, and still love it. Just hooked it up through my marshall properly and it slays!! Gotta fine tune my sounds again, but the results are worth it. Mucho bang for the buck!

I've always wanted a 2120 though, and that'll be my next gear thing for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert

I've tried the SansAmp rack unit, didn't like it.

I've been thinking of picking one of these up off ebay, could you describe what you didn't like?

Comment

V-Amp Pro here.
                              I love this amp. I use it for practise only, but it does this very well.
                              also works for recordings. didn't try it yet with a poweramp,
                              but it made any little practise-amp sound huge so far.

I have nothing to complain about on this unit. it's cheap (which might be an argument to some of us), and it does it's job really well.
                              easy to use, good sound, built pretty solid.

works well on midi too!
                              tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
                              X