rack-mount modeling pres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bert
    I don't really consider the digitch unit modeling pres .. aren't they a typical low-voltage 12ax7 based preamp with digital effects? Do they sound good direct?
    No,not a modeling pre, but you can "model" anything you want out of, as it has tube and SS dist, that you can run independently or together(like the Vetta offers the 2 amp thing)

Yep, 12ax7 based preamp with digital effects,,, 2 12ax7's one for clean one for dist.......and pretty much any effect your gonna need.

They sound awesome direct,,and live for that matter.

MOSH ON
    DAVE
    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

V-Amp Pro is alot of goodness for little cash. Worth every penny.

Mile
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego
        I've been thinking of picking one of these up off ebay, could you describe what you didn't like?
        It still sounded like I was running my guitar "direct" -- it just didn't sound like a realistic amp model. I felt I have gotten better direct tones out of the compensated outputs from my Piranha.

Unfortunately I can't get really good "biting high gain" tones out of the piranha direct, it gets too buzzy. The Line 6 recorded stuff I've heard in the mp3 section here on this forum seem to nail those tones pretty well, so I had initially thought the Pod XT Pro would be a good choice. Now I'm just confused!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert
          That V-Amp pro sure is cheap, but the specs look pretty good. Is there a catch?!
          Not really. It doesn't have great "feel" IMHO but it does produce some fairly credible sounds very cheaply. I run mine through a 20/20 & a pair of old EV-loaded cabs and have no complaints.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne
            Not really. It doesn't have great "feel" IMHO but it does produce some fairly credible sounds very cheaply. I run mine through a 20/20 & a pair of old EV-loaded cabs and have no complaints.
            I knew a guy who gigged with 1. He told me he had gone through a few of them but he gigged hard. I though they sounded pretty good live. Not great... but pretty good.

Comment

Another Vamp pro user, I run it into a gemini X3 poweramp,all I need is the midi controller to change patches and banks, and the delay is barely noticable for me, with the patches, the banks do have some lag though....

I can get some prety good sounds out of it granted the line 6 stuff might sound better but i can knock up good sounds in seconds as opposed to hours to use the line 6 stuff......

Ozz

Comment

the xt pro with the new software patch should do you just fine.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Tell me more about the V Amp. How would you recommend running it? Like an effects pedal? Straight into power into a cab?

Rack mount of the floor model? Differences?

Comment

The Boss GX700 was also another good modeler pre..quite affordable now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan
                      Tell me more about the V Amp. How would you recommend running it? Like an effects pedal? Straight into power into a cab?

Rack mount of the floor model? Differences?
                      other had great experiences with that AFAIK, but it didn't work really well as an effects unit with my H&K TriAmp-head.
                      sounded like ass to be honest...
                      at least in the effects loop. in front it was alright....
                      it does offer a preamp-bypass for effects-unit-only-use you know?

I'd recommend going directly into something really clean and neutral. maybe a keyboard amp, a PA, or for home use your hifi or some computer-speakers. that's the way it works best IMO.

the main difference between V-Amp 2 and V-Amp Pro would be that the Pro has got a power-knob in front.
                      this is something I really missed using the V-Amp 2. you always had to disconnect the power-supply, which came with some weird S-Vid-plug and was a torn in the ass once it was broken (which was a matter of time IMO if you keep on disconnecting and connecting it all day).
                      and I think the Pro is easier to control with regard to the way the controls are put on the front plate. sure, everything is the same on pro and 2, but the pro just seems to give me a better view.
                      what I liked about the 2 was it's mobility (it comes in a nice bag where you can store the whole thing together with footswitch and power-unit in) and the fact, that it did have a controllable aux-in. you are able to put your mp3, computer or whatnut into it, mix its volume to fit your guitar signal and jam along.
                      I spend some nights with my headphones that way, when I wasn't able to turn up any louder...

they're both recommendable. the pro does have more connection-options, but it's up to you to decide what you need. I was able to do some recordings with the V-Amp 2s line outs as well....

I'd say if you plan on moving around a lot I'd go for the 2, otherwhise get the Pro.
                      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
                      X