Laney vc50 - any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney vc50 - any good?

The title pretty much says it all. I'm thinking about buying a Laney vc50 combo secondhand, the price seems good.
    The thing is I haven't got to try it out yet because it's at the other end of my country (that's Norway by the way).
    So I was wondering if anyone on the forum can share their thoughts?
    What do you think of the amp if you've played it - or Laney amps in general for that matter?
    One reason I want a Laney is of course I've seen many of my favourite players using their amps - Tony Iommi, Paul Gilbert etc, but this amp I can actually afford for once So I'm kinda psyched about this

Any thought or comments? Spill the beans
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Well, the VC50 is basically the combo version of the VH100R. If it's anything like the VH100R, then i said get it while you can. Laneys are amazing amps and are so underrated. They can do anything you want it to and more. You still find new tones months after you've bought it.
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Sounds cool. I'd like a versatile amp that doesn't cost to much. This should be right up my alley! I said I'll buy it already btw hehe, I think I'll like it

Comment

I have a vc50 that's on the fritz right now, but I love the tone of that amp. Just enough gain for what I do, cuts through the mix great, and I definitely have my own sound.
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

So, how's this amp for modding then? Would it be a good idea to change the tubes, or speakers? Any tips, hints or recommendations?

Thanks

Comment

I heard changing speakers helps with the sound in some Laney combos, not sure if that applies to the VC50. I heard Jensens are surposed to be quite good for Laney's.

When you do get it, tweak with the gain a bit, there's two knobs (Gain and Drive). The first gain knob will get you up to a classic rock sound which is great for really vocal sounding playing, i use it quite abit for when i play some Eric Johnson stuff. Turning the Drive knob will get you to a Death Metal sound. It may not be as tight as say a Framus Cobra, but it will sound really 'open' and natural rather than really focused even when using EMG's (my 7 string sounds great with the Laney). But you can always stick a boost pedal in the front to get a tighter sound.
            93 USA Soloist EDS
            USA HT6 Juggernaut
            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

some people don't like the proprietary H|H speaker Laney use(d). I believe Laney are now fitting new combos with Celestions
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
              X