Help me set up my effects chain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me set up my effects chain.

Okay guys, I figured it's about damn time that I put my pedal board back together, and set up my effects chain properly.

Here's what I have so far, and if anyone sees anything wrong with this, please let me know.

GUITAR---WAH---NOISE GATE---SUPER OVERDRIVE---AMP INPUT---EFFECTS LOOP SEND---DELAY---EQ---EFFECTS LOOP RETURN

The wah does not work properly in the effects loop, and I assume this is normal. It's inconvenient though, because I use my effects loop exclusively for my lead sound which is the only time I use my wah. No big deal though, unless someone has a solution. If the wah is in the effects loop, it has no balls, and sounds all bassy. The EQ pedal is used just as a boost. The noise gate is almost always on, as is the SD1.

Anyway, any tips would be appreciated.
    Last edited by zeegler; 08-14-2006, 04:19 PM.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

I would be apt to put the first gate before any pedals. That way, you are only gating the actual guitar, and nothing else. I would probably put the eq before the the delay, and I would definitely put the last eq before the delay. Otherwise, you are gonna lop off some trailing repeats. Not really sure why you are running TWO gates, either.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
      I would be apt to put the first gate before any pedals. That way, you are only gating the actual guitar, and nothing else. I would probably put the eq before the the delay, and I would definitely put the last eq before the delay. Otherwise, you are gonna lop off some trailing repeats. Not really sure why you are running TWO gates, either.
      I'm not. It was a typo. I fixed it.

Comment

I would go-
        Guitar>wah>SD1>input>fX send>EQ>gate>delay>fx return
        ------------------------------------------------
        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Wah always sounds best, IMO, if it's the first thing in your chain, before the Super Overdrive. You can use the wah after the OD, but that'll just give you the same sound you're getting out of the effects loop (after the preamp). Noise gate I'd just experiment with and see what works best... usually in front of everything else works best, but I've had good results with it after all effects or even in the effects loop.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you put the gate in the effects, you will find yourself adjusting it each time you raise or lower your levels. Best to just put it up front, prior to anything.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

It looks good bro. Just move the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                It looks good bro. Just move the gate.
                In front of the wah?

Comment

I'd put the gate towards the end too, but before anything like delay or reverb, unless you want gated echos. Whole point of a gate is to cut noise, and you're going to get more noise the further down your signal path you go. Try the gate all over, you won't hurt anything. I would probably put the EQ before the delay also, but that's just me.

Pete

Comment

I actually switched the delay and EQ last night. It doesn't seem to make much difference which one is first though. I think I'm going to try the gate after the SD1. It won't do any good at all in the effects loop, because the loop is just for my lead sound anyway.

Now I have to get a snake, and rebuild my board. FUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X