dorm room amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dorm room amp?

Moved into college today but couldnt bring an amp since my 4x10 fender or half stack are both too big and too loud. any tube combo amp suggestions? I'm looking for classic Marshall sound. I'm thinking epiphone valve jr combo, apparently they make one now with no hum. I really dont know what else is out there like that. oh yea, its gotta be cheap. thanks.

Roland Cube 30.

One of the settings is Marshall. Another is Rectifier.

I think they do a damn good job on the Rectifier.

Comment

for guitar lessons and living room practice i put my pod 2.0 rignt into my computer and out the speakers, sounds killer and better then any little tube amp will ever sound!

Comment

Modeling is the only way to go to get decent tone at reasonable levels, imo, unless you don't give a shit about your hallmates and are like 6' 6" and weigh 250+. Doesn't matter how good your playing is, other people shouldn't have to hear it if they are studying or need to crash or just want to watch some TV. Cube or one of the little Line6 Spider combos, or a pod like Siggy says. Guitarport sounds pretty damn decent through the computer & is cheap, too.
        Last edited by dg; 08-20-2006, 04:45 PM.

Comment

The Valve junior is entirely too loud for a dorm room. Cube 30, Tech 21 Trademark 10 or a POD type modeler through your computer speakers will do it.

Comment

Cube 30 or Boss GT / Pod.

We use those in our dormrooms during the year @ college and they're more than good enough.

We once cranked a Mark III Coliseum head with a 4x12 cab and the closets of the guy in the other room fell over and the walls were shaking like mad. Oh man were they pissed.... Moreso because everyone is studying for their exams...
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I got an old boss multifx thing that i used at home late at night I guess I can play through in the dorm, but i will be getting a band together and with no car and no space, i still will need a new amp though.

Comment

I use a Behringer LX1200H modelling head through a GOOD set of stereo speakers or a GOOD pair of headphones

Comment

Tom Scholz Rockman.
                  I used it on my four years at college and loved it. I realize it is not precisely an amp but it served the purpose.
                  Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

+1 Rockman, except it's true the new one's suck. I guess that's why Scholz isn't associated with them anymore.

If you need a dorm amp and a practice amp, get a Cube 60! and play it low in the room?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Steeler
                      Tom Scholz Rockman.
                      I used it on my four years at college and loved it. I realize it is not precisely an amp but it served the purpose.
                      Rockman's were not out when I was in college. I had a Sound City 200 Watt stack in my dorm room with 8 12" speakers blowing out the windows Boy those were the days A Rockman worked great when I did a lot of travelling and living in Hotel rooms.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

valvetronix

'nuff said

Comment

I was an inconsiderate bastard. I had a crappy Peavey Mark series head through 2 homemade cabs. Ugliest sight and tone ever. I always got complaints and was told to turn it down. By the end of junior year, everyone could hum the "Master of Puppets" riff.

I recently bought a VOX DA5. Little 5-watt amp with modeling and FX. I recommend it. Took it to a bonfire jam last week. Today my friend went out and bought one too. Everyone loved it and was impressed how much a little inexpensive amp could do.

Comment

Check out the Roland Microcube, really cool little amp.
                            I had (& still have) a '72 Ampeg VT-40 (4x10 combo). It doubled as a nice little table.

Comment

I play my kid's 30 watt line 6 Spyder II every night..works for me.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X