Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Uber is being gay..suggestions please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Uber is being gay..suggestions please!!

Hey guys, John was over tonight playing my amps. My Uber is fuggin' up. It crackles and breaks up at the slightest touch of the strings. In fact the lighter you touch the strings the more it crackles. If you hold a note or chord it's fine..it decays ok and everything..

I thought it was my noise gate on my G-Major..nope.

So, I'm thinkin could be a tube going bad..a preamp tube maybe..

My Marshall sounded kinda like this when a preamp tube went bad..but not exactly the same symptoms..

When the tube took a dump in the Marshall it just sounded like shit period..from attack to decay..

The Uber just breaks up right when you touch the strings..or just rubbing your hand up and neck the neck..a fizzy, fuzzy , crackle ..

Your thoughts..???
    Last edited by horns666; 08-23-2006, 09:49 PM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Kick it.

Or Fuck Kelly clarkson or toejam's mom over it.
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Originally posted by Drsracing
      Kick it.

Or Fuck Kelly clarkson or toejam's mom over it.
      well I tried that and it didn'y help..

I didn't bang Kelly Clarkson tho....

How 'boout Kelly Osbourne..

I just want my uber sounding great again..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Awesome repair advice :ROTF:

Comment

I'd try swapping tubes first. Does it do it in both channels? It's likely a preamp tube. you did swap cables too, right?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
            I'd try swapping tubes first. Does it do it in both channels? It's likely a preamp tube. you did swap cables too, right?

Pete
            +1 Give it a try.

Comment

And if that's not helping i think Bogner has lifetime warranty ? I just would send them your amp. From what i get companies like Bogner really care that their stuff is working and continues to work.

Flo
              http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps

Pete
                I'm buying a new set of rack cables today Pete, I may as well, these are old. I'll play with it more today, it was getting too late to mess with it last night..

I'll try switching channels later and see if it still there..If the problem it gone I'll know it's not the cables, ..then tubes it is.

I need to get some nice new cables anywhoo..

Thanks Pete..

Donnie, thanks for the assist..
                You really put the word "ass" in assist..kiddin'..
                Last edited by horns666; 08-24-2006, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Already told ya it was a tube tardboy...

Sounds preamp tube oriented to me. Though it would seem more likely a power tube would die first considering their equal age. But, I'd look at the preamps first. They're cheaper anyways.

For the record, the amps sounds like a really tight noise gate is on it. Takes a bit of signal to get it to put out sounds and dies real quick on sustained notes with a crackling in the decay.

You know what's wrong, you just want JCF sympathy for the beloved Uber... hahaha....

Comment

Fellow Cleveland guys, if Horns' Uber needs repair (if the problem isn't tube related) where would you take it?

I have an Uber and an Ecstasy that I'm sure will eventually need a retube, and being the non-tech type have been wondering about the best place to take my amps.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Comment

Man.. There is no one I "REALLY" trust for that shit round here. My bud comes in from Boston, and is an Electronic Engineer for Bose there, and is HUGE on tube amps (builds/mods them) and very intimate with old Marshalls and VHT/Bogner tube stuff.. He does all my tube amp repair or rebiases whenever possible. He's a great player, loves tube amps and knows what I want.

Otherwise, I have another local buddy (non player tho) that worked for Empirical for years he does whatever he can for me and is capable of repairing a bit more stuff. Knows tube amps and can rebias stuff. And he can fix more solid state stuff as he was actually a repair tech for years. Handled all their misc repairs and is quite competent. Krintek Sound is his home based biz. He's fixed a lot of shit for me over the years. He's a stage tech and sound guy at HOB Cleveland and Works for Colortone Audio Visual (stage lighting displays) as well now. Busy dude.

Really, the only Biz I would go to after them, is Beamish Sound in Brooklyn. They are whacky, but in a pinch they have to do... Sometimes theyre idiots I have heard, but they have done ok for me. They pieced all my exploding Marshall rack stuff(JMP-1 and Marshall EL34 100/100) back together under warranty many times...

Comment

"You know what's wrong, you just want JCF sympathy for the beloved Uber... hahaha...."

Of course, I need sympathy for a very sick friend..shhaaaaddap!
                        I'd do it for you!!!!..

Comment

Beamish used to work for my daddy..

You make everythig EXPLODE!!:ROTF:

That's your job..you just break shit ..so you can have fun fixin' it..you do it on purpose!!

he does guys I ain't kiddin..yes I am..no I'm not..I'll flip a coin..
                          John's fixin' it..I think he broke it on purpose!!

No, this prob has been there for a while ..it's just getting worse..

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal
                            Already told ya it was a tube tardboy...
                            :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Get a Herbert for it and everything will be just peachy. SS Bill.. SS is the way of the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X