Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Uber is being gay..suggestions please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just called The Tube Store and talked to "Dan" , a VERY cool dude on the phone. I told him what I had. He was familiar with guys with Bogners / Ubers and ask what I liked??

Cool, I was going to tell him and ask him..but he beat me to it..

I told him my neverending complaint of the Uber of having too much "Honk" and mids when CRANKED at full band level..

He said matter of factly.."Oh you want these".."These are the best".."less mids".."super grade tube".."these sound like what you want"..all the stuff I wanted to hear.

all "matching"..which cost me about 17 bucks more..I asked is this necessary??..he said..well "its not a bad thing"..Well Ok then..

so I have a matched set of 6 of these coming ..at $121 shipped..$$$$..

http://thetubestore.com/tungsol12ax7.html

should be here in a few days..I hope they're cool, he told me to call him if there not..and then we'll go with the tubes that are in there..

Anyone try Tung-Sol 12ax7..are they cool..!!!???
    Last edited by horns666; 08-25-2006, 10:17 AM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks Rupe, as you posted I was talking to Dan of the the tube store...

"Hey Dan..This is Bill..ummmm.. my tube in my Ube.."..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Behold..the mighty..TUNG-SOL 12 ax7 ..isn't it lovely..

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...e_1908_5011261

It better be for that money!!!

Bill Z Bub

Comment

Haven't tried them Bill. But every review I have seen says that they be the shit were new preamp tubes are concerned.
          We must!
          We must!
          We must increase the bust!
          The bigger the better!
          The tighter the sweater!
          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1
            Haven't tried them Bill. But every review I have seen says that they be the shit were new preamp tubes are concerned.
            That EXACTLY what he told me..we shall see..I will give you a FULL review once they are installed..yay or nay

This could be a blessing in disgiuse..ya never know..

Right now I'm crying like a little girl with a skinned knee ..over the sticker price..

I guess I'll stop crying when The Uber kicks my ass more than ever..I'm Hoping!!!

Wish me luck!!!!

Bill

Comment

Did it come with the Chinese preamp tubes originally?
              We must!
              We must!
              We must increase the bust!
              The bigger the better!
              The tighter the sweater!
              The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Looking forward to the Russian Ube Tube on Review.

Comment

Matched tube preamp sections are not necessary.. not like matched outputs which are... but they likely are tubes which have been tested and hand selected to match, thereby warranting a slightly higher upcharge.
                  I have a preference for preamp tubes that are more matched within themselves and are reading equal or close in strength on both sides of the triode..45/45 as opposed to 45/37 or such. Some guys like to put a tube like a 5751 which has less gain in one slot to get different gain character and response from the amp.

From info on the net..the older Tung Sol from the 50's were similar to RCA black plates... which are very desireable and long lived. Good lows and highs, smooth..seems the tubestore does rate the newer ones quite highly.
                  Last edited by charvelguy; 08-25-2006, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1
                    Did it come with the Chinese preamp tubes originally?
                    Yes , they don't make chinese ones anymore I guess.. accoring to the dude..they're russian ones now..

If I don't like these..I could return them and get the cheap ones already in there..so that's cool..

I have a feeling I will like 'em..I hope..

The only thing I don't care about the Uber is when you crank it really loud ..it's too midrangy..these will help..so he says..

If I like these ..I will get a fresh set of power tubes..prolly the same kind already in there if they sound great with these..I'll let my ears be the judge..

may as well give it a tune up..

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy
                      Matched tube preamp sections are not necessary.. not like matched outputs which are... but they likely are tubes which have been tested and hand selected to match, thereby warranting a slightly higher upcharge.
                      I have a preference for preamp tubes that are more matched within themselves and are reading equal or close in strength on both sides of the triode..45/45 as opposed to 45/37 or such. Some guys like to put a tube like a 5751 which has less gain in one slot to get different gain character and response from the amp.

From info on the net..the older Tung Sol from the 50's were similar to RCA black plates... which are very desireable and long lived. Good lows and highs, smooth..seems the tubestore does rate the newer ones quite highly.
                      I hear ya man, Dude from the tube store suggested it on the phone..if I'm going over a hundred bucks..what's 17 bucks more..the heck with it, they're ordered and on their way..

here's what they say about matching 12ax7 's..

http://thetubestore.com/triodematching.html#q1

Comment

hope it works out for you....I've bought from the tubestore before...excellent service!
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz
                          hope it works out for you....I've bought from the tubestore before...excellent service!
                          Shawn, I was impressed with the help and knowledge right on the phone..

He asked me all the stuff I wanted to ask him..

He talked ..I listened..and that was it..

I'll let you know about those Tung-Sol's when I get 'em..

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                            Shawn, I was impressed with the help and knowledge right on the phone..

He asked me all the stuff I wanted to ask him..

He talked ..I listened..and that was it..

I'll let you know about those Tung-Sol's when I get 'em..
                            Yes, I'm looking forward to your review.

Which version of the Uberschall do you have? I have the 2nd version, which I believe has a different gain taper, but not the revised bass pot and external bias points.

I bought mine used, and it came (supposedly biased) with EH EL34s and Groove Tubes 12AX7Cs ("chinese").

Comment

Originally posted by Rayneman
                              Yes, I'm looking forward to your review.

Which version of the Uberschall do you have? I have the 2nd version, which I believe has a different gain taper, but not the revised bass pot and external bias points.

I bought mine used, and it came (supposedly biased) with EH EL34s and Groove Tubes 12AX7Cs ("chinese").
                              I believe I have the same one, sounds like mine..it was bought from Fat Sound on 9-10-02 in Cary NC for $2425..serial # <11699>

I'm looking at the reciept..

Comment

Working...
                              X