My small setup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My small setup...

Well, since I sold all my stuff last year and have been without a guitar for a very long while, I've gotten some stuff back, and gained a bit more. I'm down to 1 guitar that I've tried to make as versitile as possible for now just to hold me over, but more to come later on. Sorry for the crappy pics, I'll get some nicer ones later.

I decided to try something new while I was guitarless, so I went for a 7 string Ibanez and I love it. It's a wierd thing, I use to hate em, but now that I've gotten to play one for more than a few minutes, and a few weeks, I totally see the appeal. If ya just chug away at the low B or use it the way a lot of death metal bands use it (At the Gates style tuned to B, sticking to the B and E for main riffs), it can get boring or old quick, but playing it as you would a 6 string and really getting a grip of the tonal changes of your songs makes it a lot more fun. String skipping and all is a bit cooler with that low end, it gives it a different feel and sound. I don't know that I want another 6 again, but I'm really liking the 7. I'm changing the pickups to a coil tapped Duncan 59' in the neck and a JB in the bridge next week (making it 3 way switch with push pull pots instead of 5 way), so it should sound great (the stock pickups suck, to me at least)

As for the amps, again for it's tonal versitility and great sound, I went with the Randall MTS. I've always been a fan of their stuff (old RG150 SS head on top, GREAT heavy tones!) and this is nothing different. I'm changing over the power tubes to KT88's on the outside sockets and E34L's on the insides next week, so it should sound even better than it does now. It's kinda funny, most people love tube amps and swear by em, but I love the raw brutal sound of this RG150. Even the current SS heads by Randall, although they sound great, it's not voiced as agressive as this one. I think it's the 2 mid knobs it has going. One normal mid, and a volume for it also so I can have a somewhat scooped sound, but have it loud enough to be heard live. I don't really like that tone anymore, but still fun to mess around. This is the setup I'm gonna have for awhile, but what do ya think? I need to buy a few more modules for the MTS and some Monster cables, but I think I'm good for awhile. If I stick with the 7, or even if I don't, I'm going for a Jackson custom 7 early next year

- Irf -

cool setup bro. Glad you are liking the 7 string.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Irf..how do you like the Randall on the bottom.

Are you taking to the 7 pretty quickly..??

I was playing a friends a while ago..I was getting the feel of it better than I expected.

I want one..my next buy..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

That's damn good for a "small setup"! Lots of options there.

Comment

I really love the MTS on the bottom. I've got a whole range of tones now instead of just the one ass kickin metal tone I get from the SS Randall. The plexi module on the tube one is pretty badass, I get that AC/DC tone with a bit more balls kinda thing going, but that's the cool thing, I change the module with my mood. Cleans are clean, distortions are kickin and changing the tubes isn't as expensive as I thought. I must emphasize though I still love the SS tone, but for that round thick tone the tubes do it. When I want the chainsaw I hit up the 150 and it works great.

I actually have taken to the 7 pretty quick. The cool thing is now I don't have to switch guitars when playing some Carcass tunes (which is why I bought it also), but I'm developing my own style with the 7 pretty quick which is cool. Dude, music123 has it for $749, I figured for that and it's a Prestige it's a great buy, and so far she's been holding up nice. Great built quality too, I was surprised. (Actually looks like music123 is revamping some stuff, so it's not there anymore, but give em a call or you can get it much cheaper on EBaY too)

Comment

Very cool! I kinda miss my old RG7620, but the Schecter 007 Elite is working out just fine (I go through my phases of playing the 7 and then putting it away for awhile). I can't wait to get my Randall 2x12/1x15 cab, should be here Tuesday, and I'm gonna use the 7 through it and try to knock some walls down with the low end.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by IrfaanSE801
              I really love the MTS on the bottom. I've got a whole range of tones now instead of just the one ass kickin metal tone I get from the SS Randall. The plexi module on the tube one is pretty badass, I get that AC/DC tone with a bit more balls kinda thing going, but that's the cool thing, I change the module with my mood. Cleans are clean, distortions are kickin and changing the tubes isn't as expensive as I thought. I must emphasize though I still love the SS tone, but for that round thick tone the tubes do it. When I want the chainsaw I hit up the 150 and it works great.

I actually have taken to the 7 pretty quick. The cool thing is now I don't have to switch guitars when playing some Carcass tunes (which is why I bought it also), but I'm developing my own style with the 7 pretty quick which is cool. Dude, music123 has it for $749, I figured for that and it's a Prestige it's a great buy, and so far she's been holding up nice. Great built quality too, I was surprised. (Actually looks like music123 is revamping some stuff, so it's not there anymore, but give em a call or you can get it much cheaper on EBaY too)
              That's cool man..I used to buy all the RG80s I could find back in the day..I had a bunch in all kinds of colors..fake snakeskin even !!

How much for the Ibanez if you don't mind me askin'..did you buy it new..how do you like it. I like it!!

Jackson don't make one..they need to make one like that IMO!!

I'd buy it!!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

pretty cool & pretty metal rig

Also its not the size of your setup........its what you do with with it that counts
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                  That's cool man..I used to buy all the RG80s I could find back in the day..I had a bunch in all kinds of colors..fake snakeskin even !!

How much for the Ibanez if you don't mind me askin'..did you buy it new..how do you like it. I like it!!

Jackson don't make one..they need to make one like that IMO!!

I'd buy it!!
                  $749 through Music123 new, and the dude threw in free overnight shipping The only thing is though is I don't see it on their site now and I just got their catalog in the mail and it's $100 more. I'd wait for it to come back on the site or try somewhere else, because $749 is the going rate if you look around. I only went through them because they had a Black Exclusive instead of the blue they normally offer, but I saw my friend's blue one and the color isn't as bad as the previous year's "Cosmo Blue", which was really purple. I might pick up another one to tune down half a step (my normal 6 string stuff is in Eb), but that low B might get a little too flubby. If by Jan/Feb I'm still playing and loving the 7, I'm having a custom Jackson made. It's almost a good thing that it didn't work out a month ago, or I would have missed out on this 7.

For the Ibanez though, I was surprised by the build quality (never owned a Prestige, and for $749, this is a very underrated guitar). Very up there for what it is, but I'm not partial to the tonal properties of basswood, I'm more of a mahagony guy, but not to say it's bad though, just different. I'm having a Duncan 59 and JB installed next week, so it should be kickin! The trem is pretty stable too, although honestly I'm having it really set up when I change the pickups, but for a half assed setup I gave it, and the abuse I put on it, it's still in perfect tune.

Comment

Working...
                  X