smaller tube amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smaller tube amps

hey everyone, im thinking of buying a 15watt 1x10 tube combo to jam at home with, and use in a band situation with another 1x12 inch cab.
    My question is for home use 15 watts would loud enough for sure, allowing me to crank the amp and get nice tube tone, but will 15 watts be enough to power another 1x12 inch cab, and if it can (which i guess why there is an extention cab out jack) how loud would it be? enough to get over a drummer??
    Would both speakers run at once, or would the internal one mute??
    thanks
    p.s. im talking about a laney LC15R
    Last edited by Model 6 Matt; 08-27-2006, 11:29 PM.

have you ever cranked a 15 watt tube amp? It's loud enough at home to piss off neighbors if you have anyone living nearby.

Pete

Comment

yea, home is fine, i mean over a drummer, would another 1x12 be enough?

Comment

CLass Aor A/B ? Class A Yes A/B maybe , run 2x12 it's more about moving air than power. If you're not talking some type of metal it should be able to keep up with a drummer.

Comment

its A/B on the laney site, but everyone keeps saying class A, so im not sure, and no, im not a metal player, but just rock to hard rock.
          just wondering if i will be able to get any tone from a classic 30 at bedroom level, no point having overkill in my bedroom. and even in a band situation, classic 30 might be overkill, im not sure?
          If you have a classic 30, can you use it at bedroom level and it sounding good?

Comment

I use my old Crate VC2112R (15 watt class A/ EL84) for low to medium volume practice and it sounds freaking awesome. Really fat, nicely saturated lead tones live in that little beast.
            ------------------------------------------------
            Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've got a THD Univalve (15-watt head), and it's great for hard rock to light metal sounds. Just use an OD pedal to push it if you want to get into heavier territory. With its built-in Hot Plate attenuator, low volume tube saturation is not a problem. I've used it with a 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12 cab. It can be heard over a hard-hitting drummer. And the best thing about it is you can use just about any one power tube with any two preamp tubes. You'll need the Yellow Jacket adapter if you want to use an EL84, though.
              http://www.thdamps.com/
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Classic 30 is a great small amp for rock. they do get pretty loud when pushed, and tone is still okay at lower levels IMO, Ever play a Vox AC15? a buddy's got one and he loves it for 70s rock; for around the house I play an old Peavey Bravo 20 watt and I think they are a killer little amp
                Last edited by FusionFarmer; 08-28-2006, 05:01 PM.
                I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Farmer has some good recommendations there. If you got a money tree, Carr makes an amp called The Mercury specifically for this purpose. It has 3 or 4 wattage selections up to 8 or 10 watts. It's LOUD when it wants to be. I think it's a class A EL34 amp.

Comment

So its sounding good, if i get a small (and by no means am i taking away from the tone and sound of the amp) amp, say 15 watts, through a 10 or 12 inch speaker, it'll be great for at home, push the tubes a little harder to get a little more tone at lower levels than a 30 watter, then when i want to play over a drummer, either mic it or run a 2x12 cab.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionFarmer
                      Classic 30 is a great small amp for rock. they do get pretty loud when pushed, and tone is still okay at lower levels IMO, Ever play a Vox AC15? a buddy's got one and he loves it for 70s rock; for around the house I play an old Peavey Bravo 20 watt and I think they are a killer little amp
                      Those Bravos are a little secret weapon, people are starting to catch on though. Kind of like a baby Ultra. I have a Triumph which is the 60-watt 6L6 version and love that little amp I can't really crank it at home but it does get an okay tone at low volumes. I lose a lot of highs but have thump and lots of gain, and the clean channel is really nice for a $200 60-watt tube amp.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

We had a guitar player that had a 15 watt Matchless and it was almost burtally loud. I was amazed.

Comment

Working...
                        X