Typical Marshall vs High Gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz
    I agree guys....at least from my experience with multiple 2203's and 2204's. They all sounded slightly different that the others regardless if they had the same tubes.

Hell even the same amp had periodic inconsistencies...one day sounding great...the other day not so great

Splawns...yup...they are the shit...at least my QR
    Yup. That's why, in the past at least, Steve Vai would have a series of Marshall lined up, for recording, and would pick and choose which ones. I've played DSLs that sucked at one store, only to fall in love with another one, in another store.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Not to start this debate in here since we are talking about tube amps but I guess that's part of the appeal of modellers - once you get a sound dialed in, it's always there. And I've enjoyed sounds that I've gotten either from my Korg AX1500G or with Line 6/Vox stuff in the stores. But every time I plug into a tube amp it's like an epiphany. Like the other day when I was playing my neighbor's DSL or the other week I was playing through a JSX combo at the local shop. There's just something about those little vacuum tubes.......
      Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by jwoods986
        Not to start this debate in here since we are talking about tube amps but I guess that's part of the appeal of modellers - once you get a sound dialed in, it's always there. And I've enjoyed sounds that I've gotten either from my Korg AX1500G or with Line 6/Vox stuff in the stores. But every time I plug into a tube amp it's like an epiphany. Like the other day when I was playing my neighbor's DSL or the other week I was playing through a JSX combo at the local shop. There's just something about those little vacuum tubes.......
        Thats why you need both.

Currently I have:

Vetta HD 2.5
        Mesa Boogie Stiletto w/Hollywood Mod
        Peavey 5150 Block letter
        Peavey 5150II
        Marshall 1987x

I play the Vetta most. Its used for home noodling, rehearsal, recording and gigs. The other amps are for when I have the need for tubes.
        Regarding effects for my tube amps I only use one processor.
        The TC Electronics G-Major. PERIOD. Its the best.

For cabinets:
        5150 4 x 12 slant cab stock Sheffields
        Mesa 3/4 back cab 90w Black Shadow
        Randall open back 2 x 12 slant Altec Lansing 300w Whiteframes
        Randall closed back 2 x 12 slant Celestion Vin 30's

Variety is the spice of life.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666

Heat, cold, humidity, ear fatigue, mood ..all factors to tone.
          There is so much truth to this statement that it's not even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz
            Splawns...yup...they are the shit...at least my QR
            My PM has definitely withstood the "honeymoon period" and is still around for keeps. I used to go through amp heads like they were guitar strings until I got this thing. I liked it so much that I ordered a matching 4x12.

Yeah, Splawn cabs are killer too.

It's gone toe-to-toe with some heavy hitters of the amp world (at the hands of the other guitarist in my band) and not even flinched. It's been up against various Mesas, a VHT UL 100, and most recently an Uber. While I'm not trying to say it's better than those amps (the VHT and Bogner are both awesome), they haven't exactly made me jealous or want to change amps, either. I'm sticking with the PM for a while.

Comment

There is a definative marshall tone, the marshall honk as everyone refers to! As all bands that play marshalls have a somewhat different tone, however there is no mistaking that marshall tone.

I can hear a marshall tone (marshall clone) right away, there is no denying it. Just like i can also here EMG 81's, I can also hear different speaker types, so easy to hear the difference between a v30, and 75's and a greenbacks.

Such groups as priest, dokken, AC/DC all have the basic marshall tone, however the different speakers and pickups, not to mention the way they EQ and mic placement all add up to different sounding tone. AC/DC use greenbacks, priest love there 75's and lynch loved greenbacks and 30 watt speakers.

So different things change the tone so much, i went on a few year tone search myself, basicaly i was looking for a rock, heavy rock marshall type tone for my main tone and i ended up settleing on a bogner XTC, great marshall tone, with more gain if i need or less and just so many options.

For heavier pop/radio music tone i love the mesa's, but they are also good for a heavy metal sound as well. For flat out metal with alot of soloing and clarity i love my ubershall.

But when it comes down to it if you want a great marshall tone go with either a marshall, splawn, Laney or bogner and you will get that marshall honk you so desire.

Comment

I have read a few interviews and Angus says he usually has his amp set at halfway on volume, never goes above it.

Originally posted by Endrik
                AC/DC's Back In Black is volume maxed and a VERY little gain, EVH is all knobs maxed + variac. Totally different tones but you still can hear similar Marshall type crunch in both of their tones.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14
                  There is a definative marshall tone, the marshall honk as everyone refers to! As all bands that play marshalls have a somewhat different tone, however there is no mistaking that marshall tone.

I can hear a marshall tone (marshall clone) right away, there is no denying it. Just like i can also here EMG 81's, I can also hear different speaker types, so easy to hear the difference between a v30, and 75's and a greenbacks.

Such groups as priest, dokken, AC/DC all have the basic marshall tone, however the different speakers and pickups, not to mention the way they EQ and mic placement all add up to different sounding tone. AC/DC use greenbacks, priest love there 75's and lynch loved greenbacks and 30 watt speakers.

So different things change the tone so much, i went on a few year tone search myself, basicaly i was looking for a rock, heavy rock marshall type tone for my main tone and i ended up settleing on a bogner XTC, great marshall tone, with more gain if i need or less and just so many options.

For heavier pop/radio music tone i love the mesa's, but they are also good for a heavy metal sound as well. For flat out metal with alot of soloing and clarity i love my ubershall.

But when it comes down to it if you want a great marshall tone go with either a marshall, splawn, Laney or bogner and you will get that marshall honk you so desire.
                  +1
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Marshall Honk is a great description.

Comment

defintly has that midrange honk, best way to describe it.

Originally posted by jgcable
                      Marshall Honk is a great description.

Comment

Working...
                      X