Vetta 2.5 review time!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta 2.5 review time!!!

Vetta HD 2.5 upgrade, 2 Randall 2 x 12 cabs.. one closed back with V30's, the other open back with Altec Lansing 300w Whiteframes, longboard.

Its the best sounding amp I have ever owned or heard.. home, in the studio or live.

Every gig I have played using it has been a total success. I even received phone calls from other musicians at the gig for a few days afterwards complimenting my guitar tone. They were blown away. I continue to be.
    Just thought I would share.

Good, I'm glad this is here. I want hear what tips and tricks you all might have. I've been messing around with the Line 6 Big Bottom, using Marshall cabinets. I also like the Bogner/Bombers. Best of all, love the Class A.

Two questions, I still get a lot hiss with the high gains, and I haven't had much success with the gate, equalizer, or even messing with the drive.

Second question, has anyone connected a CD player or walkman to their Vetta? Heck, even my Cube30 has more inputs than this thing.

Comment

what model(s) are you using?
      are you using cab modeling with your patches? and if so which ones with which actual cabs?

i'm using the slo-100 with 25w greenback sims on my XTL and loving it.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

My main heavy rhythm tone:

Amp 1:
        02 Bomber Uber
        Drive 6
        Bass 8
        Mid 4.5
        Treb 9
        Pres 8
        Vol 6
        Cabinet: 4 x 12 Treadplate

Amp 2: 03 Diety Lead
        Drive 9
        Bass 4.5
        Mid 7
        Treb 9
        Pres 7
        Vol 6
        Cabinet: 4 x 12 Green 25's

EQ: On Everything set at 5 except for low mids and high mids set to 6
        Double Tracker: On
        Timing 3
        Dynamics 4.8
        Pitch 4

Gate: On
        Threshold -55ms
        Release 40ms

Delay: On
        Digital 420ms mix 4

Reverb: On
        Concert Hall Mix 4

Output setup:

Config: 4 x 12
        Stereo output
        Loudness: On
        Presence: On

I set my volume pedal on 70% on the full heel position and I boost for solo's by rocking it towards toe.

Wah is set to Jen Fassel.

For clean I use the stock Trademark Clean patch but I added the red compressor to stomp box 1 and stomp box 3 is tape delay.

Comment

Thanks, now I know what I can play around with.

I've been playing everything through the Green 20s and Brit 75 cabs just because I prefer that sound. Maybe the combination is causing all the static.

Actually, I'm a functional illiterate when it comes to all the knobs and electronics. Before this Vetta, I got by on a Fender Twin Reverb Deluxe, with a DBX 166XL Compressor (never used the Gate), a Roland XDE Delay, an Ibanez Stereo C, and an Octaver Fuzz pedal. That's it. Now with this Vetta I have so many more options, less clutter, but at the same time, Too many options.

What's the first knob you guys turn when you try to dial in a sound starting with the presets?

Comment

Originally posted by danastas
            Thanks, now I know what I can play around with.

I've been playing everything through the Green 20s and Brit 75 cabs just because I prefer that sound. Maybe the combination is causing all the static.

Actually, I'm a functional illiterate when it comes to all the knobs and electronics. Before this Vetta, I got by on a Fender Twin Reverb Deluxe, with a DBX 166XL Compressor (never used the Gate), a Roland XDE Delay, an Ibanez Stereo C, and an Octaver Fuzz pedal. That's it. Now with this Vetta I have so many more options, less clutter, but at the same time, Too many options.

What's the first knob you guys turn when you try to dial in a sound starting with the presets?
            Copy all my settings down exactly and post a review.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
              Copy all my settings down exactly and post a review.
              Well, the Deity settings produced a really amazin sweet sound on the leads, the best I've heard on my Vetta, so thanks for that.

I couldn't really give the rhythm a test though because of sleeping infant in the other room (I had the master turned to 9 o'clock on half power).

A couple questions:
              Timing refers to ...? Am I dumb, I couldn't find that.
              Dynamics is under the stompboxes, right? I just chose a Comp and set it where you said I should.
              Also, pitch refers to pitch shift? I'm guessing I have his wrong.

Last, I noticed your settings were near a lot of the presets and that you're tweaking them more than anything. Is this correct?

Comment

Well, the Deity settings produced a really amazin sweet sound on the leads, the best I've heard on my Vetta, so thanks for that.

I couldn't really give the rhythm a test though because of sleeping infant in the other room (I had the master turned to 9 o'clock on half power).

A couple questions:
                Dynamics is under the stompboxes, right? I just chose a Comp and set it where you said I should.

Last, I noticed your settings were near a lot of the presets and that you're tweaking them more than anything. Is this correct?
                Pitch, Dynamics and timing refer to the double tracker effect. just turn it on and hit the edit button

Also, I'm going to try these tones as well, I havent messed much with 2 amps at once yet, because I run a mono rig at practice, so I'll have to try them mono for now.
                www.myspace.com/madeaband
                www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Hey JG, I do have a question/concern that maybe you could clear up: I have a channel dedicated to leads. The issue is, when I (if, would be a better scenario) hit the delay button on the FBV to turn it off, then turn it back on, the presence (of the delay) is WAY higher than the settings on the actual patch. In order to get the delay presence back to the way the patch is set up, I have to actually click the channel to "reset" the patch.

Any ideas? I would assume once you set the parameters for a given effect on a patch, just turning them on and off shouldnt affect the actual amplitude of said effects?

/boggle

Mind you, I'm not using a stomp box delay.
                  www.myspace.com/madeaband
                  www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

That's a good amp combo. It mellows out the Uber nicely. Gotta say, though, that's more delay and reverb than I use on lead patches.
                    This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by petedz
                      That's a good amp combo. It mellows out the Uber nicely. Gotta say, though, that's more delay and reverb than I use on lead patches.
                      Its not as much as you think. I could barely hear it when the amp is turned up at a gig.

Comment

Originally posted by tseegert
                        Hey JG, I do have a question/concern that maybe you could clear up: I have a channel dedicated to leads. The issue is, when I (if, would be a better scenario) hit the delay button on the FBV to turn it off, then turn it back on, the presence (of the delay) is WAY higher than the settings on the actual patch. In order to get the delay presence back to the way the patch is set up, I have to actually click the channel to "reset" the patch.

Any ideas? I would assume once you set the parameters for a given effect on a patch, just turning them on and off shouldnt affect the actual amplitude of said effects?

/boggle

Mind you, I'm not using a stomp box delay.
                        That is a flaw in the 2.5 software. Its well documented. Line 6 is working on it. It doesn't affect all the amp models and 1 of the work arounds is to switch the loop the delay is in from serial to parallel. I use my volume pedal for solos.
                        Try this:
                        Activate the volume pedal (pedal 2) so that its always on. Set the volume to 70%. Save the patch. Now you can use the volume pedal for solo's. Setting up a dedicated preset for solo's isn't the greatest idea with the Vetta because there is a slight delay in channel switching. You can also boost your solo's by going into the boost feature, dialing up the amount of db boost you want, assigning it to a pedal on the board and saving it. I like the volume pedal better.

Comment

A couple questions:

DOn't use the compressor. It adds too much noise! I only use the compressor for the clean patches to smooth out the notes. Click on the double tracker and hit the edit button. Thats where the dynamics and timing stuff is. Also.. my patch doesn't use the pitch shifter.

Comment

Thaks jg. I blasted it today and everything was much cleaner, great sound. It also gave me some insight into the other amp models I've been using.

Comment

JG, have you tried other speakers in the closed back cab? Did the V30s sound the best to you?

I am going back to the Vetta and I will playing out of an Avatar 2x12. Right now it has Celestion CL-80s in it, but I will probably be swapping those out.

Comment

Working...
                              X