Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amps & their Chest Pounding, Pud Pullers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twisteramps
    I always confound true tone snobs anyways - my amps vary pretty widely across the board. Current list:

Randall RG80ES head (solid state, kickass amp)
    Peavey JSX (three channel 'Chevy' of guitar amps)
    SLO Clone (built as well as an original, finally figured out they used JCM800 2203 RI transformers in it)
    Peavey Champ that I crammed a soldano preamp circuit in
    Matchless Spitfire clone I built and added a footswitchable boost
    Marshall 18 watt head I built
    Peavey VTM60 I'm currently modding
    Fab Fox *first one in US!*
    Hohner tube PA head converting to guitar amp
    Laney AOR30 converting to 6V6 JCM800
    Only thing I don't currently have is a dedicated modelling amp, but I have ran my GT8 and J-station into a stereo power amp at the house and use the GT8 for fx at gigs.

We are truly blessed as far as options go for amps. And even more so if you don't need whatever is 'cutting edge' right now. Also remember that a lot of your tone is in your hands - I sound like me whether I'm going through a modelling amp, tube or solid state head. Sure, there will be some tonal differences due to different equipment being used, but YOU and how you play are the final ingredient in your sound.

Oh, and uh, I called my buddy's Uber a Pooperschall once just to razz him. I called it that because when cranked it will move your bowels for you.

Pete
    Pete, jeez, how did I miss your post, prolly too busy with mine..sorry!!

Ya damn right the tone is in your hands and your ears too..a lot of it anyways.

You just need "decent" gear and know what to do with it..to get you there!!

It got You, Shawn, John, JG, Myself, and a lot of us there..and if it works for you. FUCK what anyone else thinks!

Pete, I'd could kill a day at yer place!!

Damn Right!!

Bill
    Last edited by horns666; 08-30-2006, 02:53 PM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'd have a field day at Shawn's place..I could kill a day at his house!!

Shawn knows what to do with it too!!

Fuckin' A

Bill

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

This thread has got me GASing real bad. The bad thing, I need some HAT (house acquiring time) first. I've been dying for a killer amp for some time now, but not practical with apartment living. I just think it looks odd having 10 years of playing under my belt, 6 guitars, and one little amp. But my little Randall RG75 will have to suit me for now, even though I can barely turn that thing past 9 o'clock without disturbing the neighbors. So I'm in no way a chest pounding pud puller with this setup, maybe just a high fiving dick flicker
        EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles
          This thread has got me GASing real bad. The bad thing, I need some HAT (house acquiring time) first. I've been dying for a killer amp for some time now, but not practical with apartment living. I just think it looks odd having 10 years of playing under my belt, 6 guitars, and one little amp. But my little Randall RG75 will have to suit me for now, even though I can barely turn that thing past 9 o'clock without disturbing the neighbors. So I'm in no way a chest pounding pud puller with this setup, maybe just a high fiving dick flicker
          Dude I used to buy all the Randall RG 80's I could find back in the 1980s.. I loved those damn amps to twiddle on. I had 'em in all colors and whatnots, faux snake skin, black and grey ozite, black, grey, red tolex..

I had two RG120 heads like Dime used long ago ..but for some reason I always liked the RG80s..they're the smaller heads..is that what you have..?

Randall had crappy speakers back then.."Jaguars"..not good. I sold the Randall cab, and grabbed another Marshall cab.

They don't use those speakers anymore, thank goodness.

Comment

I had a Snakeskin CC Deville model Randall RG100ES-SS. It served me well for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
              Dude I used to buy all the Randall RG 80's I could find back in the 1980s.. I loved those damn amps to twiddle on. I had 'em in all colors and whatnots, faux snake skin, black and grey ozite, black, grey, red tolex..

I had two RG120 heads like Dime used long ago ..but for some reason I always liked the RG80s..they're the smaller heads..is that what you have..?

Randall had crappy speakers back then.."Jaguars"..not good. I sold the Randall cab, and grabbed another Marshall cab.

They don't use those speakers anymore, thank goodness.
              no, just the little rg 75 combo. 1 clean, 2 gain channels. celestion speaker. it's actually got some solid tone. i just run a ge-7 in the loop and a 535q in front and i'm good to go. my old boss who used to gig professionally and has an abundance of amps even went out and bought one right after playing mine. works for me for now, i just want something i can crank to 11
              EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                I had a Snakeskin CC Deville model Randall RG100ES-SS. It served me well for many years.
                John, I didn't know they had a CC Deville..

Those old SS Randalls sounded cool as hell..until I played with a loud ass drummer once.

I was bummed because I liked them so much and I couldn't hear it.

I thought they nailed the classic T&N era Dokken stuff pretty good..don't close your eyes, just got lucky, when heaven comes down ect ..

Comment

dude you have your priorities in check...HAT as you put it is more important.

Originally posted by drockilles
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

This is a kickass thread, just appreciation for what you've got and others doing the same. I love my $150 RH150 Randall just as much as my $1100 MTS Randall because they do different things and do it well. Hell, I was always the guy who didn't have money to upgrade my rig and my stuff used to always suck, but $100, $500, whatever, as long as you make it yours it's all good

Comment

• Originally posted by horns666
                      John, I didn't know they had a CC Deville..

Those old SS Randalls sounded cool as hell..until I played with a loud ass drummer once.

I was bummed because I liked them so much and I couldn't hear it.

I thought they nailed the classic T&N era Dokken stuff pretty good..don't close your eyes, just got lucky, when heaven comes down ect ..
                      Thats the exact tone they nailed. Mine was a 1986. It didn't say CC Deville anywhere on it but it came with a Randall magazine ad showing CC with the amp. I always called it my CC Deville amp. The snakeskin really caught some attention!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jgcable
                        Thats the exact tone they nailed. Mine was a 1986. It didn't say CC Deville anywhere on it but it came with a Randall magazine ad showing CC with the amp. I always called it my CC Deville amp. The snakeskin really caught some attention!!
                        We got a good ear for tone..

..and how to get it.

Comment

Working...
                        X