And then there were 3................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And then there were 3................

Ok, ive narrowed down to 3 amps i will be looking at buying in the next few weeks, i will give my pro's and cons of each and you tell me anything about any of them, good or bad, so i can get a better overview than the harmony central reviews.

Laney LC15R- 15 watt tube 1x10
    Pro's- small, light easy to transport
    can get a cranked sound at home at bedroom type levels
    FX loop and extention cab outputs
    Realtivly cheap

Con's- might not be lough enough in a jam with band situation
    only 1 channel
    when connected to another speaker, internal one shuts off

Peavey Classic 30- 1x12 tube combo
    Pro's- great sound, plenty of power to hold up with a band
    2 channels
    fx loop and the like
    hold value well

Con's- may not be able to get a great tone at bedroom levels
    bit pricey down here in australia
    alot heavier to haul around

Peavey Valve King- 1x12 tube combo
    Pro's- well priced
    good tones at all levels (so i hear)
    class A and A/B simulation

Con's- footswitch extra cost
    changing texture or the A A/B control might become annoying
    Dont know if they hold value

So thats what i know about the amps, feel free to correct me, suggest others or point to one and say "get this amp"!

Thanks for any help.

I'll do some correcting for you bro.

#1. A 1 x 10" combo will NOT be loud enough to jam with a drummer (unless you jam with Ringo Star)
    #2. A single channel amp will not cut it unless you don't play any clean stuff.
    #3. Forget about all the holding its value shit. If you want to make investments in amps you chose the wrong 3. You should be looking at vintage Vox, Fender, Matchless, and Marshall.
    Don't... AND I REPEAT... DON'T!!!! buy an amp based on its ability to hold its value. Instead... buy and amp that sounds good and has the features you need.
    Here is a little factoid list when shopping.
    #1. You need at least 1 x 12" speaker to jam with a band.
    #2. If its all tube it could be as little as 15w.
    #3. If its SS you need at least 50w.
    Get the biggest amp you could afford and still be able to transport unless you have a line out and a PA system to pump it through.
    If you want something really portable that can drive 2 4 x 12 cabinets no sweat you should try scoring a Galien Krueger ML250.
    If I have to choose from the amps you listed I would go with the Classic 30 if you play rock and the Valveking if you play modern rock/metal.

Comment

Can you still get a god sound out of a classic 30 at bedroom levels?
      I play 80% in my bedroom and play in a band the other 20% so i dont want something i can only use in a band situation, thats why im selling my other amp, it only sounds really good at ear bleed level.

Comment

Add one other thing - buy USED, so if you don't like it you can resell and get your $ back out of it. New gear depreciates like a new car!

Pete

Comment

I'd personally shoot for the Vavleking. I think they do the Rock thing better than the modern rock/metal thing, honestly. I'm personally looking into the head version. I toyed with the a - a/b knob a bit. I actually felt it sounded best for rock, with it right up the middle. Was pretty easy dialing in a tone I liked. And for $500, you can't beat it.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

I'll be trying to buy used as much as i can, but sometimes it just doesnt happen, not alot of second hand sellers.
            Valveking might get a run, but havent seen any used around here, classic 30's come up a bit though.
            So can i completly rule out the Laney LC15R?? How loud is it? If i need a cab for it, it will defeat the purpose of having the combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Model 6 Matt
              I'll be trying to buy used as much as i can, but sometimes it just doesnt happen, not alot of second hand sellers.
              Valveking might get a run, but havent seen any used around here, classic 30's come up a bit though.
              So can i completly rule out the Laney LC15R?? How loud is it? If i need a cab for it, it will defeat the purpose of having the combo.
              YES... completely rule out any 1 x 10" combo if you want to play with a band. 2 x 10"s barely cut it. The minimum you need is 1 x 12" and thats the absolute minimum. For metal go closed back combo. Also, it you go for a 1 x 12" combo make sure it has a good speaker in it.

Comment

so a 30 watt tube 2x10 will just cut it? I just cant see how 10" vs 12" can make that much difference?

Comment

so a 30 watt tube 2x10 will just cut it? I just cant see how 10" vs 12" can make that much difference?
                  10" speakers need to be in 4's in order to push enough air.
                  10" speakers are very tight sounding and great for clean and low volumes. They sound great when in a 4 x 10" cab. The problem with 1 or 2 10" speakers is they can't handle the bottom end when you turn the amp way up. They fart. They also don't throw enough air when you are playing with a drummer.
                  Forget 10's bro. Just concentrate on 12". Trust me on this.
                  Now.. if you are in a Beatles tribute band thats a different story.

Comment

ok, so im looking for a 1x12 or above, ive read that the speaker in the LC15R cuts out when u add a another speaker box to it, but ive also heard that you could mod the amp so the internal 10 inch would stay on while driving the external cab.
                    My question is would this damage the amp?
                    2nd would a 1x10 and a 1x12 be enough over a drummer at 15 watts?

Thanks for help.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                      I'd personally shoot for the Vavleking. I think they do the Rock thing better than the modern rock/metal thing, honestly. I'm personally looking into the head version. I toyed with the a - a/b knob a bit. I actually felt it sounded best for rock, with it right up the middle. Was pretty easy dialing in a tone I liked. And for $500, you can't beat it.
                      I really need to try one of these, they look to be a great value. All the web stuff I've seen says they sound great too. For metal I would just use a Metal Zone (L6 Metal Master is what I have right now) or similar in front. I bet that'll get you a great metal sound. Karl

Comment

ok, so im looking for a 1x12 or above, ive read that the speaker in the LC15R cuts out when u add a another speaker box to it, but ive also heard that you could mod the amp so the internal 10 inch would stay on while driving the external cab.
                        My question is would this damage the amp?
                        2nd would a 1x10 and a 1x12 be enough over a drummer at 15 watts?

Thanks for help.
                        It sounds to me like you are hell bent for the Laney.. which is cool if that is what you want. Its not the correct answer to your 20% band question but I am sure its a fine amp. I like Laney amps.
                        If you are going to add speakers you have to be concerned with impedance. Tube amps go POOF if you mess it up.

Comment

the only reason im set on the laney is price, if i can afford the classic 30 ill go for that in a flash, but i dont really want to play an amp on 1 all its life aswell, good tube tone comes from cranked tubes right?
                          Looks like ill wait and see what happens, maybe get a hot plate for the peavey?

Comment

John and Pete are throwing you pearls here!!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Pearls?? What you mean by that, good info?
                              Yes good info being given, just now an issue of getting the money for the valve king or classic 30.

Comment

Working...
                              X