Recommend some Pre-amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend some Pre-amps

I'm running into a Laney GH50L at the moment and the matching Laney 4x12 cab. The set up was really cheap but its not that bad. Its a full tube amp but the sound is kinda fuzzy and not that great. I'm playing metal with the band everything from Thin Lizzy to Bodom stuff so what I want is high gain. I'm thinking about using a preamp for my tone and into the the effect and using the power stage of the amp.
    What kinda pre-amps would you suggest. I'm not loaded so I can't afford anything more than bout €300. I live in Ireland so I won't be able to try pretty much anything out either.
    I also thought about getting a gt-6 and using that for my tone and keeping the amp clean? This could work too but I'd like to try that one out first.
    Ideally I'd like to get a better amp (5150) but I can't afford to going back to college.So any ideas?

Originally posted by demeyes
    I'm running into a Laney GH50L at the moment and the matching Laney 4x12 cab. The set up was really cheap but its not that bad. Its a full tube amp but the sound is kinda fuzzy and not that great. I'm playing metal with the band everything from Thin Lizzy to Bodom stuff so what I want is high gain. I'm thinking about using a preamp for my tone and into the the effect and using the power stage of the amp.
    What kinda pre-amps would you suggest. I'm not loaded so I can't afford anything more than bout €300. I live in Ireland so I won't be able to try pretty much anything out either.
    I also thought about getting a gt-6 and using that for my tone and keeping the amp clean? This could work too but I'd like to try that one out first.
    Ideally I'd like to get a better amp (5150) but I can't afford to going back to college.So any ideas?
    The GT-6 is a great idea. Run it into the effects return of the Laney. That rig will give you everything you need along with a nice home jamming modeler, recording device and backup at a show if the Laney shits out.

Comment

brunetti mille
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
        brunetti mille
        How is that preamp Tim?

Comment

[QUOTE=demeyes] What kinda pre-amps would you suggest. I'm not loaded so I can't afford anything more than bout €300. I live in Ireland so I won't be able to try pretty much anything out either.

An ENGL 530 is close to your price range, has versatile
          routing, 2 channels, each having 2 foot-switchable gain
          options, sepparate headphone out with level, etc., etc.
          Finding one in a store to try out will probably be a
          challenge, not sure how many ENGL dealers you have
          in Eire. But I've used mine pretty much exclusively
          for the last year, and I've got a lot of tube amps.
          Def. something worth checking out...

tj

Comment

Maybe Lee Jackson GP1000. It's what Alexi and Roope use and they are very mid heavy. They go for about 240 euro used on european ebay. But be sure to get one with the 1/4" outs on the back (and not the XLR), cause they're better! They are not very high gain though...

One of my friends just got one last week in a trade and I'm still waiting for him to lend it to me . Hope it will work thru my SS Crate head.
            Last edited by Nazgul; 08-30-2006, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Engl 620 is high gain and in your price range, if you don't mind used. They don't make them anymore.
              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

ADA-MP1....old but classic!
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Rocktron Piranha and Marshall JMP-1 are also great high gain pres. I find the Piranha a bit more versatile.

Comment

A used Sansamp PSA-1. It's got all the Marshall's, Fenders, Mesa's and a bunch of pre-done patches. I run the PSA-1 into a 2/90/2 VHT. A NEW PSA-1 would be about 388 Euro.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli
                      +1
                      There's a couple on the bay at the moment too.
                      www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Also check out the mesa V twin rackmount unit - very smooth sound, a bit different that most of the buzzsaw type pres. Also, a rarity but if you can find it - a Hiwatt series 2000 Pre-1 - has a different vibe that most pre's, in that it's very high gain but extremely responsive in a "amp" like way, meaning it has better dynamics than say an ADA MP1 or Rocktron Pirhana. They can be had for less than $200.

Comment

What would you guys say about the mesa boogie tri-axis? high gain enough? How flexible is it?

-Nate
                          Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

I'd say that the GT-6 would be a good choice. Opeth uses them into Laney amps for their live tone. A couple bands locally use the GT-6 alone for their sounds and they work, especially with cutting in the mix.

The big upside is that the GT-6 also works well for direct recording (at least better than the rackmounted pre-amps).

Originally posted by nateb
                            What would you guys say about the mesa boogie tri-axis? high gain enough? How flexible is it?

-Nate
                            I'd say so, but I think it would be out of his price range by quite a bit

Comment

Originally posted by neilli
                              I'm looking for an MP-1 myself after hearing some of the clips at this link..
                              The playing may be kinda "show off-ish" at times, but the sounds blew me away.. Amazing sound at a small price methinks!

"This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Working...
                              X