Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tung-Sol 12ax7..are they worth it??

FUCK YEAH!!!!

I had my doubts I must say..Not anymore!!

These things do make a major difference!!

I talked to Dan from the Tube Store and explained my ongoing complaint of the "Honk" my Uber has when it's cranked to high levels. It had a very Non-Master volume, cranked Super Lead kind of "Honk"..that I always thought sounded very unpleasant. He advised that I'd try the Tung-sol 12ax7. He talks to many players that has this same complaint, yet also talks to players that prefer the Chinese JJ's for that classic Marshall mids and tone.

He highly recomended that I try them..so I ordered a matched set of 6 T-S 12ax7's..for $121.65 shipped.

I ALWAYS ran the gain of the Uber full tilt, and that's where it was set when I put them in. When I fired it up much to my dismay, I got tons of feeback that I never had before. I thought the noise gate to my G-Major wasn't on, but it was. I noticed much more output than I ever had. I had to immediately back off the gain for the first time in 5 years.

Once I started to play I couldn't believe the warmth and clarity it had. The "honk" is gone..I mean GONE!

The Uber always had a geat crunchin' rythm tone but I was never able to get my leads to realy "sing". I can hold notes forever now. It's much darker sounding with a very tight low end.

The leads sound much warmer without a hint of brashness or that hint of sizzle that it had before..

I called Dan at the Tube Store to thank him, but he wasn't there..so I left the message with Sandy..she could tell I was very enthused..

I couldn't be happier..

I'm a cynical bastid so I was expecting the worst..definitely not the case..

I'm sold..Tung-Sols for life!!

If you have a tube amp with too much "honking" mids or sizzle for your liking..these babys are for you!

They do cost a few bucks more, but they are supposed to last a long time and they absolutely kill the stock JJs that were in there for my taste..!

Bill
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Cool! Glad it worked out for ya, Billzy!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
      Cool! Glad it worked out for ya, Billzy!
      whew..me too Ron..

Dan of TTS said if it didn't work out I could grab a new set of JJ's..no thanks!

It's cool..to avoid that hassle..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Nice. Did it fix your problem you were having with your amp also?
        We must!
        We must!
        We must increase the bust!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!
        The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1
          Nice. Did it fix your problem you were having with your amp also?
          Yes it did, that was the culprit!!

It fixed it and then some!!

The Uber never sounded better!!

Bill

Comment

Tung Sols it is!!!!!! I am gonna order a quad set tonight and hopefully they rock my socks off like they did yours Bill

So are you still gonna dime the gain or leave it backed a off a little now?????

Do they sound ok when using the clean channel???

Also what poweramp tubes is your Bogner using??
            Last edited by DarkSaga; 08-31-2006, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaga
              Tung Sols it is!!!!!! I am gonna order a quad set tonight and hopefully they rock my socks off like they did yours Bill

So are you still gonna dime the gain or leave it backed a off a little now?????
              Well, Dude that's a good question..right now I have to back it off a tad. I can't sit right in front of the amp tweakin' without feedback with it maxed ..not like before.

when I step back or turn away, it's cool.

It still sounds great with it dimed, just harder to mute when not playing when I'm too near to the amp..

I may have to adjust the gate..

Funny, I turned the Gain way down to about 9 O' clock and got a cool Van Halen tone..just fatter.

Comment

Oh.. dude, what amp are you using???

Comment

I have a Digitech 2101 with (2) 12AX7's running into a Carvin T100 poweramp with (2) 12 AX7's and (4) E34L's

Comment

HMMMMM...i think i'll give them a shot in a couple of modules in the Randall RM4 i just got .
                    thanks for the review Bill,,,would you mind givin another in like a week or two after they have had some burn in time? just to hear if you've had to adjust it back closer to you orig. settings or if the are still holdin strong.
                    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

TungSols and Ruby C9's are my favorite preamp tubes. Can't go wrong with either one. I'm running a mix of them in my Dual Rectifier.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaga
                        I have a Digitech 2101 with (2) 12AX7's running into a Carvin T100 poweramp with (2) 12 AX7's and (4) E34L's
                        Cool, running mine with EL34s..seems like they like each other..

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ
                          HMMMMM...i think i'll give them a shot in a couple of modules in the Randall RM4 i just got .
                          thanks for the review Bill,,,would you mind givin another in like a week or two after they have had some burn in time? just to hear if you've had to adjust it back closer to you orig. settings or if the are still holdin strong.
                          Sure, actually I'm hoping they don't change..

Comment

Bad tube huh? Who'da thunk it... hehehe...

Comment

Cool deal Bill. Good to hear they are everything that every one is claiming. Sorry about your gain adjust though. I know you loved having it max'ed out.
                              We must!
                              We must!
                              We must increase the bust!
                              The bigger the better!
                              The tighter the sweater!
                              The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Working...
                              X