THD YJ's in Soldano SLO review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD YJ's in Soldano SLO review.

Got some YJ's for my SLO to give it a shot and see how it sounds compaired to the THD hotplate and original tubes. Basically it sounded like pure ass. No low end what so ever. The mids and highs were very gritty and shrill. Even when I tried to dial it out the tone just wasn't there. I guess it works for some amps. My SLO just isn't one of them. When I put the KT66's back in the tone just came right back. So I'd have to recommend sticking with the hotplate when needing a volume cut for the Soldano SLO.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Oh, I won't rub it in tooo much. I tried to tell ya but to each their own.
    I just got another pair of GT928 PR with JJ's..gold edition yet..all like new.
    The seller accepted my highest offer of 65.00.

I think we need a clip of what pure ass sounds like...just to let the music do the talking.
    Last edited by charvelguy; 09-01-2006, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Good to know... I just sold my Hotplate though...

Comment

No luck with clips Charvel Guy. I just play to hear myself and have zero recording gear. No mic no sound card no nothin'. lol Besides I wouldn't want to record what I was hearing anyhow. I don't even think I'll try what GT has to offer when it is available for higher plate voltage amps.

Get another hotplate, Chris. The difference between the two was night and day. Made me appreciate the hotplate a lot more also.
        We must!
        We must!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!

Comment

That is so weird, as my amp sounds better to my ear with the YJ's. Then again, mine is a clone... *shrugs*

Pete

Comment

Transformers maybe? After hearing your clip I figured it would sound great also. Just wasn't there. Speakers? I have a Marshall 4x12 loaded with celestian 75's. I tested them out clean with no pedals or anything. Just amp straight to the cab.
            We must!
            We must!
            The bigger the better!
            The tighter the sweater!

Comment

I bet that has a lot to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1
                Transformers maybe? After hearing your clip I figured it would sound great also. Just wasn't there. Speakers? I have a Marshall 4x12 loaded with celestian 75's. I tested them out clean with no pedals or anything. Just amp straight to the cab.
                Could be, not sure. I checked, the transformers on this are marshall RI JCM 2003 models. They are pretty stout, and I think the amp sounds great. My speakers on this cab though are Celestion 85s - might make a small difference, I dunno.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                X