Vetta Cabinet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta Cabinet Question

I am considering a Vetta down the road. Right now I am using a Line 6 AX212. My LMS is having a 20% off sale Monday. They don't have a Vetta in stock but they do have some nice cabinets. So I was thinking about getting a cabinet now for later. I also know that I can use my AX212 to power the cabinet until then.

So my question is, what cab do you Vetta owners suggest I get?

Here are the options.

Line 6 Cabinet.

Mesa Boogie Cabinets

Peavey Cabinets

Behringer

Marshall Cabs

Now I'm not sure which models they have of these brands. I just know that last time I was there I saw these cabs. I'll go back today and bring back more info. I would appreciate pros and cons of each, as well as bang for the buck. They have 6 months financing and I'm still paying on my PC1 so i don't want to buy the farm, if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

My understanding from Pete was that the Line 6 cabs speakers are tuned to a flatter frequency response allowing the amp itself to give it the color for each modelled cab ...hopefully if I'm wrong he'll correct me..

I have my vetta in my livingroom (gawd I love my wife) on one side I have the head on a marshall jcm800 I've owned since the 80's with Cel75's the other side of the room is a Vetta 2 X 12 and I'll have to say the 2 X 12 sounds really good and in some instance better matched to the head than my Marshall ... imho.. Hope this helps
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

There are two ways of looking at it:

You can take a good sounding cab that works with your style of music, and match it up with appropriate Vetta amp models. In that case, the cab models aren't really necessary.

The other option is to get a relatively neutral sounding cab like the Line6 cab, and use the Vetta cab models to make it sound the way you want.

Personally I think the first option is more likely to get good results. I'm using an old Mesa half-back loaded with Black Shadow MC-90s. I occasionally use the Greenback or Recto cab sims to exaggerate certain frequencies, but most of the time, it's overkill.
      This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Here's the new scoop. The Line 6 cab is $480 on sale, the Marshall 1960 is $520 on sale and the Mesa is $899 and is not on sale. The Peavey cab is the XXX cab and I couldn't see the price.
        Last edited by Bryan; 09-02-2006, 03:38 PM.

Comment

$480 is a GOOD price for that cab, Id pick it up. I use a Vetta 4x12 and a B52 4x12, and the two definatley sound different, but I think they compliment eachother well. The B52 has a bit more bottom end due to the "ported" back.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Get the Vetta cab if you can - the speakers in it are flatter response, so you can use your cab emulations with it and it won't sound like crap. Absolute coolest rig I ever ran with my Vetta was an open back 2x12 and a closed 4x12 - ran in stereo, but all my heavy overdrives went to the closed cab, all my clean tones went to the open back cab. Sounded great!

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
              Get the Vetta cab if you can - the speakers in it are flatter response, so you can use your cab emulations with it and it won't sound like crap. Absolute coolest rig I ever ran with my Vetta was an open back 2x12 and a closed 4x12 - ran in stereo, but all my heavy overdrives went to the closed cab, all my clean tones went to the open back cab. Sounded great!

Pete
              I do the same thing but with 2 x 12 open and closed back cabs.

Comment

Pete
                Can't I do that with the 4X12? Run one amp to one side and the other amp to the other side. I know the cab runs stereo. Is that how it's wired in the back?

Comment

the whole point is to run your cleans with an open back cab - most clean amps are open backed combos.

Pete

Comment

the whole point is to run your cleans with an open back cab - most clean amps are open backed combos.

Pete

Gotcha!

Comment

I'd get the Marshall 4x12.....then later down the road when you get a "real amp" you wont need to buy a new cab to use because it will sound like ass through the line 6 cab
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz
                        I'd get the Marshall 4x12.....then later down the road when you get a "real amp" you wont need to buy a new cab to use because it will sound like ass through the line 6 cab
                        Honestly - the Line6 cabs sound pretty good. They are more balanced, which means you aren't going to get the scooped/extra highs and lows of a Celestion 75 loaded cab, but they aren't bad at all.

Closest equivalent I can think of the Line6 speakers are Celestion 80s, which are pretty balanced. Also they kinda sound like a lower spl EV to my ears, which ain't bad at all.

Pete

Comment

I'm wondering, what are your favorite cabinets disregarding the Vetta head? (i.e. your favorite cabinets in general).

This is for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz
                            Ouch! That is brutal.

Seriously though I don't plan on buying another amp after the Vetta. I've had my AX212 since it was an AXSYS for about 10 years now. So buying a new amp isn't something I do on a regular basis.

Guitars on the other hand....

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan
                              Ouch! That is brutal.

Seriously though I don't plan on buying another amp after the Vetta. I've had my AX212 since it was an AXSYS for about 10 years now. So buying a new amp isn't something I do on a regular basis.

Guitars on the other hand....
                              I have been using my PODxt (and solid state amp) through a 2x12 cab I made that I loaded with Eminence Modeling 12 speakers. They're specifically made for modeling amps and are very neutral souding. It sounds good with the cab sims on. I've used the pod with several other standard combos (though no 4x12's) and none has sounded as good as my cab with the Modeling 12's. From this I take that the Line 6 cab, which is very nuetral, would be the best match for your Vetta head. At least it will be much more versitile. Karl

Comment

Working...
                              X